Looking for advice on Tow vehicle and Travel trailer. What would you do? - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2016, 04:36 PM   #21

Illinois
Can't speak about the ride other than it will not ride like a 1500 no matter what you put on it, it will ride stiff. You will still need the WDH and Anti sway no matter what truck you have when bumper pulling. The longer the trailer, the more it will sway regardless of what is in front of it, you just wont notice the sway as much on a longer heavier truck, but it will still sway. You still need to move the tongue weight on the 3/4 and the hitches are still limited to a small amount without the WDH.

Overall the 3/4 ton will pull better, and handle better than the LD, but the setup will still be the same as the LD.

acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:14 PM   #22

Texas
Agreed.

That 2500 will simply reward you with towing confidence that the 1500 can't equal. Same can be said for the wdh.

Towing with confidence makes the whole RV experience, from the time you leave until the time you get home, that much more pleasurable. Even when you are actually camping.

2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:43 PM   #23

Florida
3/4 ton truck

If you still are planning on getting the Dutchman AEROLITE | 298RESL and plan to tow it with a 3/4 ton truck. IMHO you do not need a WDH-Antisway bar. Buy the trailer and take it on a few trips and see how it handles. If you really think you need one buy it later. I bet when you put that trailer on a 3/4 ton truck it wont sink more than 1-2 inchs in the back. just do not overload the payload of the truck or trailer and you should be fine. Most newer trucks have sway control built into the tow package. If your trailer starts to fish tail just tap the trailer breaks that should stop any major sway.
masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:01 PM   #24

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
If you still are planning on getting the Dutchman AEROLITE | 298RESL and plan to tow it with a 3/4 ton truck. IMHO you do not need a WDH-Antisway bar. Buy the trailer and take it on a few trips and see how it handles. If you really think you need one buy it later. I bet when you put that trailer on a 3/4 ton truck it wont sink more than 1-2 inchs in the back. just do not overload the payload of the truck or trailer and you should be fine. Most newer trucks have sway control built into the tow package. If your trailer starts to fish tail just tap the trailer breaks that should stop any major sway.
Probably won't need the airbags either - I had an 07 Ram 2500 and ran PacBrake airbags but I was towing a 36 foot fifth wheel with a trailer behind that.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:07 PM   #25

Tennessee
I'll simply point out that a whd has nothing to do with "sway control". It's designed to take some of the weight off your rear axle and transfer it to the front. A lot of wdh's do come with some type of sway control option, but that's not their main function. Also, if you ever get into a wreck towing, don't expect your insurance to cover anything when they find out you don't have a wdh.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:30 PM   #26

Texas
Even though it's an Aerolite, it's going to be 1000 pounds sitting on your bumper.

Imagine, 4 NFL linebackers sitting on your tailgate everywhere you go.
Sure, the truck can "handle it". Nobody thinks your truck is a sissy.

The weight distribution hitch is just a method for getting 1 of those linebackers to go sit in the front seat. And getting another to go sit in the trailer.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:50 PM   #27

Tennessee
Here's a good read on wdh's
Towing liability 2.0: Weight-distributing hitches still needed | Medium Duty Work Truck Info

Old 09-15-2016, 01:27 AM   #28

Ohio
Thank you for the link! That was some great info.
smockb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:18 PM   #29

Florida
Wdh

That was a good read. Just as I thought I do not need a WDH for I am only towing less than 6K. My truck is a 2016 Chevy 1500 5.3L full tow package. For me a WDH is a waste of time and money. I love being right. Go small or pay for all the extra stuff for the massive Travel Trailer the salesman want to sell you. 3 slides, 2 HDTV, 2 fireplaces? in a travel trailer. Solid core counter tops, Porcelain toilet, 35+ feet long. 9000+ pounds! Wow that's alot of trailer!! Don't forget the $750 WDH.
masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:32 PM   #30

Texas

You did read it?

As for there being 1000 variants of RV's to pull or ride in down the road.......... I'm GLAD we don't all want the same things. I admit to being one of the more minimalists these days, but I LOVE it when my sister pulls their aircraft carrier to wherever I am heading. That means full kitchen and awesome home cooked meals. Not to mention comfy chairs under the fantastic awning at night.

Yea, they need more Tow Vehicle than I do. And they indeed use a wdh with that 1 ton truck.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:15 PM   #31

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by smockb View Post
Guys If I went to a 2500 Ram with the rear Airbags how would the ride compare to a Ram 1500? Also by stepping up to a 3/4 ton would i still need a WD hitch and Anti Sway bars?
Smockb,

Do yourself a favor, go to a RAM dealer and compare the 2500 side by side with the 1500.
The 2500 was completely redesigned, I believe 2015, was the launch year.

The 2500 is now sporting the same suspenstion, system as the 1500, wtih bags as a factory option. The 6.4L with the MDS is getting better fuel economy the 5.7.

As far as height, I suspect the 2500 is not much taller than the 1500, pretty sure that a 2500 won't be as tall as the 3500. I didn't measure the actual height, but my 3500 has a high top cap and the new parking garage at our hospital has a 7' clearance. Quick eyeball it looked to me to be close to 4-5" of room to spare.

Forum member Big1, has the redesigned 2500, send him a PM and get his opinion.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:26 AM   #32

Colorado
Yes, even if you're going to a 3500, with a bumper pull trailer you should use an equalizing hitch.

Yes a set of firestone air bags will keep the truck level and ride a bit bit better.

But if you're moving up to a 2500...I don't care what the others say...get a Cummins or a Duramax. Then you have a truck that easily pulls a fully loaded TT or 5th and will last about forever with good maintenance!

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!!!

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:40 AM   #33

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Yes, even if you're going to a 3500, with a bumper pull trailer you should use an equalizing hitch.

Yes a set of firestone air bags will keep the truck level and ride a bit bit better.

But if you're moving up to a 2500...I don't care what the others say...get a Cummins or a Duramax. Then you have a truck that easily pulls a fully loaded TT or 5th and will last about forever with good maintenance!

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!!!

Pirate
Pirate,

I agree with you on the Cummins, but I am getting disenchanted with my, '07 Ram chassis. It has got to have the absolute worst steering gear I've, had in any truck I've ever owned. Obviously I can't speak to the '10 and up steering gear, nor the redesigned Ram 2500 front end. I've invested about 3K chasing steering wander, the death wobble, Front axle u-joints shot in 60K, at 80K Hubs 100K it was the ball joints and tie rod ends. Man even my '61 Merc short box with good old king pins was a better front end than Ram is today.

This should be the last ever rebuild of the frontend, in my life. If I can pound the offroad parts I used on this rebuild, then I'm doing something right.

There is a reason why in the patch, you see the working guys driving the Fords and Rams and the head office guys in the GM products. I think that Ram was looking for some of that head office market, when they redesigned the 2500

Rams latest tagline is interesting, "The longest lasting truck in North America." It's right on the mark in my area. When I'm out driving around, I see more old Ram Cummins on the road than old Fords or Chevys combined.

I still have my dream truck and that was a Ford chassis, Cummins motor and an Allison. But now I'm not so sure about the Allison. I didn't realize that the 68RFE was a hot rdded Tourqueflight. Don't know if your old enough to remember the Chrysler commercials of 1964 era, but that car in that commercial, I owned one. 1964 Dodge two door street racer, no badging, just an old Dodge that that looked like a slant six. Back to the commercial 1964 Dodge two door, Torqueflight, the driver pinned the gas peddle and punched 1 to R repeatedly, I swear I saw air under the rear tires. Them leaf springs would wad up and it looked like the rearend was shot out of a cannon, as the spring wrap/hopp let go.

But there a hundred reasons why I love the 6.4L 392CUI Hemi. If the oil companies start playing with the price of Diesel again, that Hemi would due everthing I would ask of it. And the big plus would be the reduced maintenance costs. The only thing I would want and is not an option would be the 68RFE vs the 66RFE. My secret sources were telling my that Ram may have borrowed some of the Aisin tech in the Torqueflight 8? I think Ram named it. If you build that transmission with the BD power products kits, some are claiming Allison like transmissions.

Next spring comes the 2K rusted out oil pan replacement. Great design in the engine lay out means to change an oil pan you have to pull the motor. I may save myself the cost of a new oilpan, by cutting out the rot and making a Gasser style oil pan, with the deep resivover and windage trays to keep the oil in the sump, a remote oil filter and an engine oil cooler.

The one thing that the Cummins has rewarded me with has been a continuous increase in fuel economy with every degree of heat I get out of the drivetrain the economy improves.

My next attemp for "more power" is going to be a canvas water bag hanging right in front of the S&B scoop.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:06 PM   #34

Texas
Jim,

I probably mentioned before........

My dad, and thus me, are Ford guys. Especially for the trucks we intend to beat on.
But, I came across a deal on a used 2003 Ram 2500/Cummins when my youngest son went off to college. He loves to fish, and is known to drive around in 4-wheel drive in the dark looking for a good spot. So I figured I got him something that I could afford for him to tear up.

He's long since graduated, and now on his career path.
STILL driving that truck!

I gotta admit, it's made me consider. Lol

Heard recently 2003 was a "good year" from a diesel hot-rodder.
Don't know how true that is, but I've sure gotten my moneys worth.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:54 PM   #35

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
That was a good read. Just as I thought I do not need a WDH for I am only towing less than 6K. My truck is a 2016 Chevy 1500 5.3L full tow package. For me a WDH is a waste of time and money. I love being right. Go small or pay for all the extra stuff for the massive Travel Trailer the salesman want to sell you. 3 slides, 2 HDTV, 2 fireplaces? in a travel trailer. Solid core counter tops, Porcelain toilet, 35+ feet long. 9000+ pounds! Wow that's alot of trailer!! Don't forget the $750 WDH.

Keep in mind it isn't the weight of the trailer, but the weight on the hitch that dictates if a WDH is needed. I do believe the hitch on a HD is 750# without a WDH, and 1250 with one. My trailer is only 6300# fully loaded but put 780# on the hitch. I would still need the WDH with it even if I had a F350.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:58 PM   #36

Colorado
Being a native of Colorado, and being in Lake City, CO for 10 days a week ago...I came across a bumper sticker.."Go BIG or go home".

So if you think you're going to really get in to the RV lifestyle, and really don't know yet what you're going to get for an RV. Then get something that will tow anything on the market in bumper pull or 5th wheel!

I got my first diesel pick-up in 1998. A brand new 2500 24 valve Cummins Dodge extended cab, short bed. Got it on advice from a good friend to "grow up" and get a real truck instead of a sickly 1991 Ford van. Then in 2000 I buy a Bobcat 773 turbo skid steer and a 20 ft beavertail trailer to haul it on. Then in 2003 comes a Bobcat 331 excavator, in 2004 a Midsota 8 x 14 ft hydraulic dump trailer. In 2005 comes a new 3500 four door, short bed Cummins. (good friend got the 1998) Then in 2010 comes the Jayco T29A bumper pull toyhauler. Then in Nov 2010 comes the 2011 Silverado LTZ four door with the Duramax/Allison combination, DRW and then a Highway Products aluminum tool bed slightly redesigned to haul the 2009 RZR. Then in 2015 comes the Voltage Elite III 3800 toyhauler.

So one never really knows which direction life is going to take them...so I have chosen to "Go BIG or go home"

Just sayin'

Pirate
Old 09-25-2016, 01:49 AM   #37

Texas
Great story Pirate.

But my favorite part was Lake City.

I've returned there the last few years. Fond memories.
Great food too. Even love the coffee shop. (opens early am)

I boondock on the river heading towards Engineering Pass.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:45 AM   #38

Colorado
Sigh...its Engineer Pass. And being a Mechanical Engineer...I got asked this year why it was named Engineer Pass...you know...I don't have a clue.

We've been going to Lake City for a week to 10 days the last four years. Go after Labor Day to miss the crowds. Moved our reservations at the Highlander RV Park back three days to be there at the peak of gold in the aspens. Well...it rained in August and when we left, September 19th...fewer than 50% of the aspens were turning gold. I dunno. So next year we're going in August, and will be there over Labor Day weekend. Because "she who must be obeyed" is making reservations in Branson, MO for September. I just go where I'm told.

Didn't see a lot of RVs set up on the road from Lake City to Engineer pass. But there were quite a few on the Cinnamon Pass road.

Lake City has a Wine and Music Festival on the second weekend we are there. To promote the food and drink sold at the festival...all the restaurants in town are closed. Believe that? I don't drink wine, the music is awful, and I ain't payin' $40 to get in and buy food. Don't understand it. But what do I know?

Pirate
Old 09-25-2016, 05:49 AM   #39

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Jim,

I probably mentioned before........

My dad, and thus me, are Ford guys. Especially for the trucks we intend to beat on.
But, I came across a deal on a used 2003 Ram 2500/Cummins when my youngest son went off to college. He loves to fish, and is known to drive around in 4-wheel drive in the dark looking for a good spot. So I figured I got him something that I could afford for him to tear up.

He's long since graduated, and now on his career path.
STILL driving that truck!

I gotta admit, it's made me consider. Lol

Heard recently 2003 was a "good year" from a diesel hot-rodder.
Don't know how true that is, but I've sure gotten my moneys worth.
Snake,

I'm still catchin' up and my CRS has kicked in, so I don't know if I've responed.

You got the same story as my son and me, I've spent over fifty years driving Blue Ovals, with the odd dalliances to the dark side. There was the odd Chysler product thrown in to mix, my favorite was the Desoto with the Hemi. I love that engine and I could be convienced to swap out my Cummins for a 6.4L hemi. But my dream truck remains the Cummins Ford that the Cummins boys buil.

I'd say your Diesel hot rodder source was fight on. I hind site, when I bought the '07 Ram a low mile '03, would have lightened my wallet buy about $15K less. Five thousand at BD Diesel and the 10K would have covered a big chunk of the upgrades on the camper. I'd have a 5.9L Cummins, that would be close the stock 6.7L Dailer Benz Bluechoke Diesel. DB took a perfectly good Cummins and choked it down to the European Emission Standards, just to lay claim to meeting the '10 standards in '07. I figure half of my pour fuel milage is due to the DPF. Somehow my three remaining brain cells, just can't grasp the concept of dumping raw fuel into a hot chamber to burn away the soot that's been catpure, there by creating more soot. Let me see, take a proven 5.9L, up it to 6.7L then choke the milage out of it and dump raw fuel into the exhaust system to burn the soot. Can't quite understand how getting 15-17MPG is better than 20-22 MPG. really

Yes, you got your moneys worth and so did your son!

Old 09-25-2016, 06:09 AM   #40

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Sigh...its Engineer Pass. And being a Mechanical Engineer...I got asked this year why it was named Engineer Pass...you know...I don't have a clue.

We've been going to Lake City for a week to 10 days the last four years. Go after Labor Day to miss the crowds. Moved our reservations at the Highlander RV Park back three days to be there at the peak of gold in the aspens. Well...it rained in August and when we left, September 19th...fewer than 50% of the aspens were turning gold. I dunno. So next year we're going in August, and will be there over Labor Day weekend. Because "she who must be obeyed" is making reservations in Branson, MO for September. I just go where I'm told.

Didn't see a lot of RVs set up on the road from Lake City to Engineer pass. But there were quite a few on the Cinnamon Pass road.

Lake City has a Wine and Music Festival on the second weekend we are there. To promote the food and drink sold at the festival...all the restaurants in town are closed. Believe that? I don't drink wine, the music is awful, and I ain't payin' $40 to get in and buy food. Don't understand it. But what do I know?

Pirate
Pirate,

You should have headed north a couple hundred miles, our Aspens have been gold for about 2 weeks.

When we were riding it seemed like every 200 miles you would hit a totally diffent climate zone. Crappy weather go south two hundred miles and your riding in the sun.

I may be confussing your Engineer Pass, with another one, but the story I heard it was named Engineer Pass, in honor of an engineer who died while saving a town by driving a runaway of the tracks.

Don't know if it's the right pass, but it's a great story.

Wise man, because sometimes when you don't do what "she who must be obeyed" says, it could lead to a broken nose. Don't ask how I know, because I'll tell you a lie.