Kodiak 320BHSL with Toyota Tundra? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2016, 02:52 AM   #1

Colorado
Kodiak 320BHSL with Toyota Tundra?

Hi all, we currently have a 240BHSL that we tow with a Land Rover LR3. It does the job fine although I know we are at the upper end of it's ability for sure. We've towed all over the SW USA and Canada with it.
Now we are considering staying on the road a bit longer and with the Land Rover approaching 160K miles we are looking into both a larger camper and new TV. As the title says we are considering a 320BHSL with a Toyota Tundra as the TV. I've been on these forums long enough to know there is a lot of grey area when asking this question with how much we load it but is anyone out there running this set up or do you have any first hand experience? I'm fairy certain we'd need air bags to support it at the very least?
Thanks,
Randy

rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:53 AM   #2

Colorado
Instead of making everyone look up the stats on that model, can you post them here?
Length, weight, tongue weight?
Also, which Tundra? They come with two different motors. The max weights for each truck is posted on the placard in the door jam based on that trucks configuration and options.

amre2me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:39 PM   #3

Colorado
Again, I was simply wondering if anyone on here is using this set up by chance (320BHSL with Tundra). I know it's within it's capability, tow capacity on the tundra is 10,500 LBS and the weight on the 320 is about 7500-LBS. Just looking for personal experience as I think it's on the upper end of it's ability.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:19 PM   #4

Montana
2016 Dutchmen Kodiak 320BHSL Travel Trailer Wilmington, NC Howard RV Center | Wilmington, North Carolina RV Dealer | Wilmington, NC RV Sales
Says trailer dry weight is 7900 lbs, GVWR is 9680 lbs.

Guestimate compatibility by payload capacity of the truck, not its tow capacity. %15 of 9,680 lb trailer weight figure = 1452 lbs in tongue weight. Subtract that tongue weight figure from tow vehicle's max payload capacity listed on the driver door or door pillar. I believe Tundras are in the neighborhood of 1500 lbs? So 1500 - 1452 = 48 lbs of payload remaining for you, passenger, and any gear you want to carry in the truck. I'm guessing that you and family and gear will weigh more than 48 lbs, which implies you'll want more truck for that heavy of trailer.

Now I assumed the trailer was loaded to the max capacity which is a very conservative estimate. And I actually don't know the Tundra payload capacity, you'll have to research that. But as long as you're in the planning phase, conservatively plan around the upper limits and have confidence that you actually fall below that. And people overload their trucks all the time, I know I'm guilty of having a bit too much trailer for my current truck. But if you're planning then plan to succeed rather than flirting with the margins.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:03 PM   #5

Illinois
I have to ask; if you're in the market for a new tow vehicle, why push the limit with the Tundra? Move up to a larger truck. Not only will you (and I) be safer, when you get your next trailer (and you will), you won't have to get a new tow vehicle. Just my thoughts.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:14 PM   #6

Colorado
To be honest my wife is not a pick up truck person, HATES them and really doesn't want one but she thinks the Tundra is ok. I don't want to push the load limit again. We are doing that now with our Land Rover, I've never had a problem and it tows great but in our Colorado mountains I feel it going up.
Anyway, we just may have to stay with what we have if she won't consider a bigger truck....... I'll research it a bit more as well. We are happy with our 240BHSL for now, just looking a year down the road or so.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:04 PM   #7

Illinois
My wife isn't crazy about them either, especially a dually, so I feel your pain. You're doing the research so I'm sure you'll make the right decisions.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:56 AM   #8

Texas
I'm not one of those strictly-by-the-book fellas. But have been in and around trucks and towing most of my 60-ish years.

I'm just being really honest with my own feelings on the subject.
Todays 1/2 ton trucks are simply amazing achievements in engineering. And if you don't doll them up with all those awesome high-end trim levels, they are a bargain to boot.

But regardless of all the engineering prowess under the hood and amazing efficiencies that have been achieved, the actual payload capacities are still pretty stale. 1500lbs is a very good guess for most of them. As a result, I still feel the cap is about a dry weight 5000lb bumper based trailer (non-5th wheel).

Nobody is going to be pulling a dry weight TT. And the average person is not camping alone and running with an empty bed.

1500lbs of payload is simply what those axles and suspension are designed for. Even if those modern beasts have the power to yank around (pull) MANY thousands of pounds behind them.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:41 PM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
I have to ask; if you're in the market for a new tow vehicle, why push the limit with the Tundra? Move up to a larger truck. Not only will you (and I) be safer, when you get your next trailer (and you will), you won't have to get a new tow vehicle. Just my thoughts.
Rusty
What Rusty said.

Bigger truck means you won't have to chase handling issues with things like airbags.

It's easy enough to play with the numbers to make them work on about any vehicle, but that doesn't help when you have to go from 60-0 in a hurry.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote