I adjusted the WDH by One Chain Link - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2018, 03:38 PM   #1

Florida
I adjusted the WDH by One Chain Link

I adjusted the chain lengths by ONE link and here is what it did. The ones with the higher weights are when I had the old setting. Do you think it's right now? The two pdf files are the old settings. The JPG file is the new one. Forgot, the truck is a NISSAN TITAN XD Platinum with Cummins 5.0. I usually get between 12 and 14 mpg.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAT RV-2.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	5066  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf truck weight 1.pdf (1.99 MB, 188 views)
File Type: pdf truck weight 2.pdf (1.90 MB, 186 views)

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:49 PM   #2

Arizona
I purchased a WDH and dont really "feel" any difference from not having it to having.
How tight do you get your chains ? I use the sixth link. Maybe I need to try the fifth...
Steve
2006 Toyota Tacoma
4x4 V-6
GVTW 6500

12 MPG with Kodiak 200 QB

steve weston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:17 PM   #3

Wisconsin
I don't understand what you did. Was there another post explaining?
The PDF with 0 trailer axle weight must be without the trailer.
The second PDF with 8520 lb trailer axle using the WHD shows decreased weight on steering axle and much additional wgt on drive axle.
That does not seem to be optimum. The WHD should add wgt to the steering axle, not reduce it. The numbers appear to show all tongue wgt was added to drive axle plus some wgt transferred from steering to drive.
Is the truck level? Do you use air bags or some other leveling device in addition to the WHD?
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:31 PM   #4

Oregon
You don't always need to run to a scale to see if your WDH is transferring weight as it should. You can do it with a tape measure. Make a mark at the top of your trucks wheel well (blue tape sharpe) Measure all four wheel wells from the mark to the ground with the truck empty, then again with the trailer added then again with the WDH fully sprung. You will be able to tell from your measurements if your moving weight forward to the front axle of the truck.
Also if your grabbing a extra link to keep your bars level by tilting the head if need be...

Once you think you got it then go to the scales and see if your correct on your settings.
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:31 PM   #5

Arizona
Frank is the poster of his PDF files.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:35 PM   #6

Arizona
In my case with Toyota Tacoma my rear wheel measurement (fender) lowered 3/4 of one inch. I figure thats good from no trailer at all.
steve
Old 10-06-2018, 10:40 PM   #7

Texas
Why is the gross weight different by 400 lbs? Not sure you can tell much if anything other than the adjustment to the WDH also changed.
TT Coleman 2515RL
TejasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:54 PM   #8

Florida
Having gone through this excerse before, this is why we bought a Hensley
Hwanjwcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:23 AM   #9

Arizona
I wanted a Henway.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:49 AM   #10

Florida
This is very difficult to know what is right and what isn't with the WDH process. By shortening the chain by one link, I managed to decrease the weight on the back by 600 pounds but lighten up the front by 340 pounds which, with my truck, is hardly noticeable in the height of the fenders. My question is how do you know you have it right. Now the RV is high by and the truck is level. Before, the truck and RV were level but the weight on the back was excessive (1640 pounds).

So what's right?
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:58 PM   #11

Wisconsin
The method for leveling the TT is to raise or lower the hitch ball. The method for leveling the truck is to tighten or loosen the WDH tension.
Given your truck has stiff suspension, leveling the truck does not seem to be an issue.
Evening the weight between front and back probably is your best guide. They don't need to be exactly equal, but the close match is better. Check your truck manual for axle load limits or check with you truck dealer for best loading.
Frank, the registry picture of your rig seems to show the truck steering axle is high. (At the angle of the picture I can't tell for sure.) Do you have some after market suspension mod's on your truck?

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote