Husky Centerline TS - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2019, 11:40 PM   #1

New York
Husky Centerline TS

hey team,

anyone using one?? I want to put it on my 2018 Apsen Trail 3010BHDS. Seems to get some really nice reviews. just wondering if I will run into issues with propane and battery placement when mounting the brackets

thanks

Tava14226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:48 PM   #2

Ontario
philj

been using the centerline for 2 years now and love it

philj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:11 AM   #3

British Columbia
I have one. Husky have awesome support and helped me a lot when I couldn't get the system to balance out when I bought it. They had an engineer walk me through how it should go and when it didn't work out, they did the troubleshooting.

Long story short, the 2015 Rubicon toyhauler has an unprecedented tongue weight at 1400lb unladen. It should be half that and resulted in me having to get a commercial hitch with a 21,000lb rating.

All that said, I've used the Centerline for over 55,000 miles of towing from BC to Florida, to Alaska and the biggest test, down the Baja and back to BC. I had one problem with a bracket cracking which I had welded but Husky sent me a completely new set on overnight shipping.

Highly recommended.
TripitakaBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:44 PM   #4

Indiana
Neal

I have an Aspen Trail 2860 RLS with a husky centerline hitch. I pulled it with my 2014 Tundrda from Indiana to the Brooks Range in the Artic Circle last summer. Trip was 11000 miles and we had no problems. I guess you could say we are satisfied with it. Neal, Kathy and the two dogs.
neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:28 PM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by neal View Post
I have an Aspen Trail 2860 RLS with a husky centerline hitch. I pulled it with my 2014 Tundrda from Indiana to the Brooks Range in the Artic Circle last summer. Trip was 11000 miles and we had no problems. I guess you could say we are satisfied with it. Neal, Kathy and the two dogs.
Hell of a trip! I have a special affinity for adventures and the Dalton is on my list of things to do. Not sure I'd pull a hitch trailer up there again, the Alaska Highway was bad enough (although significantly better than the MEX 1 down the Baja peninsula) but I'd do it with a camper in the truck.

Sorry...I'm going off thread here...adventures fire me up!
Old 03-20-2019, 03:43 PM   #6

Colorado
Just Purchased Husky Centerline

Hello,
I recently purchased a new 2019 Dutchman Kodiak Cub and felt as though I needed a weight distribution hitch. I did some research and decided on the Centerline 32217, which is rated for 600 - 800 lbs tongue weight and 8,000 total weight. I thought this might be a little too heavy for my trailer but decided to go a little over than under. I purchased the hitch and when I received it, I was a little surprised as how heavy it was. It looks like all of the components, except fro the actual bars, are rated for 12,000 lbs. I'm new to these travel trailers, so I'm learning as I go. Any thoughts on if I should keep it or try something different
Thanks
Kodiak Cub 123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:10 PM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak Cub 123 View Post
Hello,
I recently purchased a new 2019 Dutchman Kodiak Cub and felt as though I needed a weight distribution hitch. I did some research and decided on the Centerline 32217, which is rated for 600 - 800 lbs tongue weight and 8,000 total weight. I thought this might be a little too heavy for my trailer but decided to go a little over than under. I purchased the hitch and when I received it, I was a little surprised as how heavy it was. It looks like all of the components, except fro the actual bars, are rated for 12,000 lbs. I'm new to these travel trailers, so I'm learning as I go. Any thoughts on if I should keep it or try something different
Thanks
Won't hurt and when you upgrade your RV, it will work fine.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:08 PM   #8

Pennsylvania
The Centerline "system" changes only the 'bars' with tongue wt. Lite wt for the lowest tongue wt and then then 2 other sizes of larger bars. Rest of unit is the same( ball size changes) heavy enough to handle the largest settings.
T-town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:44 PM   #9

British Columbia
The only downside to the heavier WD bars would be less 'flex' to absorb the vertical movement in the hitch and with that, more stress on the A-Frame but context is important here because even that situation is preferable to not having the WD hitch at all. Airbags on the vehicle are a good partner for a WD hitch.

One thing that is worth doing is to take the trailer to a commercial weigh scale when it is closed and weigh each axle, all axles and the tongue weight. The latter will require you to unhitch the vehicle with just the A-frame jack on the scale. Do it with full propane tanks and any batteries onboard. It is way easier to set up your WD hitch at a scale as you can take before and after readings for all axles.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:04 PM   #10

Colorado
Thanks, my only concern was handling this thing when I want to hook and un-hook the trailer. I think all you need to do is remove the bars and leave the rest hooked to the truck. I'm going ahead and going to give them a try. I'll let you know how it goes
Old 03-20-2019, 06:12 PM   #11

Florida
Quote:
Thanks, my only concern was handling this thing when I want to hook and un-hook the trailer. I think all you need to do is remove the bars and leave the rest hooked to the truck. I'm going ahead and going to give them a try. I'll let you know how it goes
That's the way I do it. Watch out for the grease on the ball !!!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:21 PM   #12

British Columbia
Quote:
A good number of videos online showing how to do it but if you don't already have an electric A-frame jack, you'll be fitting one in short order. Hooking up a WD hitch requires a couple of up/down cycles on the A-frame.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:24 AM   #13

Colorado
Thanks again for the feedback. With regards to the electric A-Frame Jack, I'm always looking for a cheap solution. Has anyone converted the Sidewinder frame jack on the Kodiak Cub, to one that would use a electric drill? I the drill for the stabilizer jacks and would maybe like to use it for the A-frame jack as well.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:19 PM   #14

Colorado
Torque Specifications on Centerline hitch

I noticed that the Torque specifications for the two 3/4 inch bolts that hold the height of the head assembly calls for 380 ft lbs. I've only been able to find a torque wrench that goes to 300 ft.lbs. I've asked a trailer place and they said they use an impact wrench. From what I can tell using an impact tool is not an exact science for setting torque. My current plan is to use the 300 ft lb torque wrench, then use an impact wrench to go an extra maybe 1/8 turn of the nut. Thanks for any advice you may have on this.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:58 PM   #15

British Columbia
That will work. I just yarded on it with a breaker bar on the basis that if I could break it that way, I didn't want to be pulling my trailer with it.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:01 PM   #16

Ohio
I'm running the husky on the 3010bhs also have had it on there for 2 years. Best purchase I could have made just keep eye on torque on the bolts if you notice bars moving easier when u put them in head unit make sure you torque them or no sway control. I use a torque wrench withe torque multiplier not most accurate but better than nothing.

Foxbryan22 is offline   Reply With Quote