Hensley Arrow or Equal-I-Zer Hitch - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 09:42 PM   #21

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I have seen plenty of trailers in the ditch with every hitch and lack of hitch known even including the fancy pants electronic sway control.

Aaron
Aaron,

I knew there was a reason I didn't like all them electronic gadgets.

https://www.wired.com/2015/07/hacker...-jeep-highway/

Now lets see,
kill the crash avoidance systems. check
kill the ignition switch. check
kill the brakes. check
kill the steering. check

That should just about take care of them driverless vehicles. Now what should we hack?

Makes me wish I still had my '52 Ford Coupe.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:23 AM   #22

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
I tow a 6,000 pound ultra light travel trailer. It is being towed by a Chevy 1500 with a full tow package. GMC says this truck can tow up to 9,400 pounds. That is 3,400 pounds UNDER what it says it can tow. Why would anyone buy a $500.00- 1,200.00 WDH for this rig? Like I said before all you guys piled up on me and started to call me names. I think a WDH is just another way to get money out of the uninformed and another thing to break and mess with when towing a ultra light TT within the trucks capabilities. If you tow in dangerous high wind conditions a WDH will do you no good!! As my friend used to say " If you are going to be dumb you better be tough." If you guys want to waste your money on these hitches so be it. I chose not to!! I will no longer post any more comments on this subject.
No, no, no...who cares what your towing capacity is...the more important number here is your Cargo Carrying Capacity, then your before/after front axle weights. You really need to look at all your numbers and then you will see you need a WD hitch. Assuming you have a tongue weight of 600 pounds, without a WD hitch, you have removed a lot of weight off your front axle, especially with the light front end of a gasser.

At one time, GM wanted all the weight returned to the front axle when towing (through the use of a WD hitch), I think they changed that to 50% of the weight returned...nonetheless, to tow comfortable and stable, you do need a WD hitch, if for anything, to ensure you are capable of maintaining control when an 80k pound 18 wheeler goes flying by you on the Interstate.

Now, back to towing capacity, without knowing your true vehicle numbers, I will bet a dollar that if you were to get a 9k trailer and hook it up, then load the truck with your family, and other necessary travel items, you would be woefully over weight. Much like me in my dually, I am 4K pounds under my max towing capacity, but I am at my CCC limit.

Again, safe travels.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
Old 05-03-2016, 01:51 PM   #23

British Columbia
Captain Morgan,

I hope that somewhere amoungst all the crap you have been able to find the answer you needed. We sound like we're a bunch of kids in the sandbox arguing over the loader and dump truck.

In my case the Hensley was just an expensive way to gain enough room to lower the tailgate while the trailer is still hitched up. The tailgate on the Ram is taller than my Ford F150. I searched more a year trying to find some way to gain those few inches, but couldn't find a safe way to extend the drawbar. I gave up the search and paid the price.

While both hitches do the job asked of them, there is a difference to the feel of how they tow. With the EQ, I could feel it working in the seat of my pants, the Hensley just does it's thing and you don't know it until you see it in your mirror.

Would I buy a Hensley if I didn't need the extra room for the tailgate? No, but after towing with it I wouldn't give it up.

I guess you've figured out that we are an opinionated bunch. Anyone up for a new tire or TV thread.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:58 AM   #24
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Captain Morgan,

I hope that somewhere amoungst all the crap you have been able to find the answer you needed. We sound like we're a bunch of kids in the sandbox arguing over the loader and dump truck.
Dump truck drivers are dime a dozen, good loader drivers are harder to find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
I guess you've figured out that we are an opinionated bunch. Anyone up for a new tire or TV thread.
Cummings, Power Stroke or Durmax?

Aaron
Old 05-04-2016, 02:08 AM   #25

Quebec
I say lets start a thread on SRW vs DRW towing Toy Hauler.....
2017 Softail Slim S (FLSS)
Old 05-04-2016, 01:29 PM   #26

Maryland
[moderator edit]

Hey now, settle down...no one is calling anyone names...and this definitely doesn't help the OP out at all. If people want to bicker, we should save it for the other forum...they like to ban, edit posts, and cyber punch folks, especially if campfires and asthma are involved.

Cale
Old 05-04-2016, 03:04 PM   #27

Tennessee
I'm just gonna bow out of this one.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:34 PM   #28

British Columbia
Please

Please let me put an end to this, being as I pretty much started it.

Masterblaster is entitled to his opinion and voice it as a member of the forum, just like every other member. We can choose to agree or disagree based upon our own experiences and should be able to express them freely.

We use this forum to share our experiences and opinions, we are all learning as we go along the road of RVing. We have all been there at one time or another along that road and let me say, I have done a lot of really dumb things in my towing life. Only by the Grace of God I have managed to make it to this point in my lifes journey and not maimed or killed anyone.

I had no intention in starting a crap fight.

Masterblaster, please accept my appologies, I reacted poorly to your first post on this thread and for that I am truely sorry.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:31 AM   #29

Delaware
Folks, several posts were confrontational and flaming other members, which is not permitted by our rules.

A spirited debate is fine as long as it's collegial.

Discuss the topic and not each other.

Thanks!

Closed Thread