Going to go with a Goose Box adapter…. need help. - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2013, 03:00 AM   #1

North Carolina
Anyone towing with a gooseneck instead of a 5th wheel?

This is only my second 5th wheel (within 5-6 months) and I changed my 5th wheel to a gooseneck (so I can use my bed)

I've had no problems yet but my new 3950 weighs more and after even more research, I'm coming up with the same answers when I ask people that have more experience with using a gooseneck.

I've had guys tell me no way, it'll crack the frame, etc, etc… I've also asked almost 20 other people that have towed 5th wheels with a gooseneck for years and they've never had any problems.

Thoughts?

Mark

orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:20 AM   #2

Colorado
I have do not tow as a gooseneck. However, another forum that I visit has a towing portion and there is a guy there that is a certified RV tech. He strongly recommends against converting a trailer from 5er to gooseneck for the reasons you have stated. The exception is if the manufacturer will certify it.

I understand your wanting to keep the bed available when not towing. I have a hitch that drops into my B&W Turnover so it can easily be removed and leaves no rails in place. There is another hitch that has been getting some very good reviews on various forums made by Anderson. One of them attaches via your gooseneck and is easily removable. Check it out Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:11 AM   #3

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkie View Post
I have do not tow as a gooseneck. However, another forum that I visit has a towing portion and there is a guy there that is a certified RV tech. He strongly recommends against converting a trailer from 5er to gooseneck for the reasons you have stated. The exception is if the manufacturer will certify it.

I understand your wanting to keep the bed available when not towing. I have a hitch that drops into my B&W Turnover so it can easily be removed and leaves no rails in place. There is another hitch that has been getting some very good reviews on various forums made by Anderson. One of them attaches via your gooseneck and is easily removable. Check it out Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I'll look into it.

Mark
Old 12-12-2013, 02:34 AM   #4

Oklahoma
If you look at the geometry of the gooseneck adapter, when you are towing, it actually puts a torsion load on the 5th wheel frame of your trailer. The original design of the hitch puts the stresses on the hitch in only 2 directions, forward and down. With the adapter, you are adding a twisting load, and you are actually twisting it in an upward direction, and multiplying the vertical load on the plate. That trailer is pretty heavy, and adding the addition fulcrum length of the adapter to the plate is putting a lot of stress on the 6 bolts that hold is on, and if you have the airbag hitch, the hinge makes it even worse. My 3905 came with the trailair airbag hitch, and the literature with mine specifically called out that any adapter would void any warranty. Something to think about.
macman83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:36 AM   #5

North Carolina
Going to go with a Goose Box adapter…. need help.

I'm using a Gooseneck adapter for my 5th wheel. I've decided to invest into a Goose Box adapter by Reese.

My question is, how do I know which one I need. Does a Voltage 3950 use a 1621 setup?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 12-19-2013, 11:57 PM   #6

North Carolina
No one? I'll call Voltage tomorrow and see if it's compatible.

Mark
Old 12-20-2013, 02:04 AM   #7

North Carolina
Just an update… I've been researching for the last week and certain other forums have a few members who are completely against any kind of goose neck adapter (goose box to be exact)

They claim the forces exerted on the frame is not conducive to long life. They also say that the claim that the manufacturer says that a goose box will not void the warranty is more of a sales induced sell rather than an engineering proving point.

Does anyone have any experience with the goose box. Tomorrow I'm going to call Voltage themselves and get their thoughts.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 12-20-2013, 03:01 AM   #8

Louisiana
I don't think you'll get much approval here, and would get flamed if you were to mention that on rv.net. General consensus is that it places stress on the frame that could result in failure. I've even seen others post that it will void the warranty. I think you are on the right track by contacting Voltage to see what they have to say. I'd give Lippert a call as well. Good luck, and be sure to post back with your findings.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:14 AM   #9

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
I don't think you'll get much approval here, and would get flamed if you were to mention that on rv.net. General consensus is that it places stress on the frame that could result in failure. I've even seen others post that it will void the warranty. I think you are on the right track by contacting Voltage to see what they have to say. I'd give Lippert a call as well. Good luck, and be sure to post back with your findings.

I understand. I read all the posts by the two engineers that said they didn't like it. Out of ALL the times they said it would destroy a frame, they showed ONE and only ONE link to a guy who had problems. The frame cracked on his 5th wheeler.

The problem was, that particular trailer was also in a series of recalls from that manufacturer who was having a problem with frames cracking.

I'll talk to Voltage tomorrow.

And btw, though I have been in the body shop business for 30 years…. I graduated in Civil Engr'ing.

I'll post back what I found.

Mark
Old 12-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #10

Oklahoma
Are you the same orange crush from the North American motoring Mini Cooper forums? My two cents is that you won't hear much about gooseneck adapter failures because the manufactures don't much approve of them, and the peeps that use them don't post about the failures because they get screwed out of any warrenties. I looked into them, and my dealer said he wouldn't cover any failure. WWith the cost of my 3905, I decided it was best to invest in the fifth wheel hitch.
macman83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #11

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by macman83 View Post
Are you the same orange crush from the North American motoring Mini Cooper forums? My two cents is that you won't hear much about gooseneck adapter failures because the manufactures don't much approve of them, and the peeps that use them don't post about the failures because they get screwed out of any warrenties. I looked into them, and my dealer said he wouldn't cover any failure. WWith the cost of my 3905, I decided it was best to invest in the fifth wheel hitch.

Yes sir… same orange crush.

Guess I'll know better when I call the manufacturer today… otherwise I'll be buying another 5th wheel.

Mark
Old 12-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #12

Arizona
I am fortunate with my 2013 F350. My Reese Elite 25k hitch removes completely from the bed with just a flip of 4 lever. All the hitch rails are under the bed. Just a few minutes and my bed is free to use.

I believe there are other manufactures that offer that also. But it sound as though you are looking for approval of the goose neck set-up you already own.

Good luck either way. I personally would not use one.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:32 AM   #13

Colorado
You'll remember that other forum I mentioned earlier on in this thread. Here is a direct quote:
Quote:
The structural problem is the gooseneck adds some leveraged force to the pin box cause a break at the bedroom slide-out in the sidewall opening in some fifth wheels. Many posts to this forum have noted manufacturers regard the use of a gooseneck adapter as outside of warranty coverage if something should go wrong that could be traced back to it.

I can't tell you how common a problem it is statistically, although I have seen it somewhat frequently when I work on fifth wheels on the dealers' lots. Not trying to say it happens to all of them as it clearly does not and I do not know how to predict in which cases it will cause a problem. Just something to keep in mind.
And his qualifications are RVDA/RVIA Master Certified RV Technician.

Clearly you have to make the best decision for you.

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:28 AM   #14

Tennessee
It will void the warranty as stated in the manuals. As an engineer you should know what forces are generated by such a lever with a static load of 18,000 lbs behind it. I can't see how anybody would think this is a good idea, but it's your trailer.

Just buy a B&W companion and forget about it. It clears the bed in about 3-5 minutes.

2013 Voltage 3950
Blue full body paint
micahmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #15

Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by micahmiles View Post
Just buy a B&W companion and forget about it. It clears the bed in about 3-5 minutes.
X2. That's what I have and love it.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #16

North Carolina
Well after many hours of research, I spoke with a friend of mine in the RV business that knows someone in the know about the Goose Box.

I may be taking a chance but I ordered the Goose Box.

Hopefully it'll work fine.

Mark
Old 01-01-2014, 04:26 AM   #17

North Carolina
An update….

I swapped my gooseneck out for the goose box and have to say… that was the best move I've made.

As I towed with my gooseneck, I could watch the trailer move with the truck. The gap between the bed and trailer never changed.

As I tow with the goose box, I can literally see the goose box absorb the shock from bumps in the road and you can see the trailer ride on what looks like shocks.

I took a video and will post it later.

Definitely worth the money, the truck ride is so much better.

Mark
Old 04-25-2015, 05:12 PM   #18

Ohio
Orangecrush how is it because I'm seriously considering one myself. I haven't had any luck locating any first hand information about it. The video would be much appreciated!!!
Jelly Doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:02 AM   #19

Florida
ANDERSON ULTIMATE 5th WHEEL HITCH!!

BAR NONE BEST HITCH EVER!.. zero noise, vibration, chunking or clunking!.. can be paired with any gooseneck ball. Only weighs 70 lbs or aluminum version 35lbs.. love love love mine especially for my MEGA CAB RAM .. can turn 90* no problem and thanks to the design all the weight is exactly where it should be. Takes 15 min initial install and 5 minutes to remove and install after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ANDERSON ULTIMATE FIFTH WHEEL CONECTION
Nate42379 is offline   Reply With Quote