Front hitch - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2016, 06:11 AM   #1

Washington
Front hitch

Sorry if this has already been asked on here (i'm sure it has), but does anyone use a forward mounted receiver hitch on their TVs? The storage spot we are renting is unbelievably tight. To sort of paint an image into everyones head, you enter through a keyed gate, immediately to the right is a spot to "turn around", then continuing down the road is a large sheet metal indoor storage. Just past that storage building is another spot to "turn around" if the city buses are parked there. in this area is where all the TT park. they are positioned in 2 rows, one on each side at about a 45 degree angle towards the one way alley, if you will. our spot is on the far side of a 5th wheel next to a decrepit TT thats sat there since 2008. distance between the trailers i would venture to guess is about 11'. I have a 32'2" total length TT and a short bed crew cab f150 pulling it. the alley between the two rows is maybe 2-2.5 car widths wide. we are about the 12-15th trailer in that row on the right side. In order to get into the spot i must utilize one of those 2 "turn around" areas and back down the alley, then angle the trailer in. I haven't put the trailer in the spot yet, and have been out of the trailer towing scene for 6 years since I've been in the Navy. I've had about 4 years of continuous trailering while working construction. My concern is that once I get it positioned to clear the 5th wheel I will be pressed right up against the trailers on the opposing side. i'm thinking that with a front mounted receiver I would have more maneuverability in that tight situation. The owners have a forklift for moving trailers and said I could have them place it in there for us, if they are there. However, I don't want to rely on getting to the storage facility within their working hours. Concern number 2 with the hitch is, I can only find one rated to 500# TW and my trailer weighs in around 800 if I recall from the specs with a total trailer weight of 64xx# dry. Has anyone done something like this? What would the negatives be by exceeding my TW on the front hitch? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. (sorry this is so long)

Bgross00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:47 AM   #2

Tennessee
I only used a bike rack on my old tv with a front hitch, so I can't comment on any potential damage by overloading it.

I would take 20-30 minutes in a big empty parking lot and practice backing up.
It won't take long to relearn how to rely on your mirrors and you'll be able to park that thing anywhere.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:35 AM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
We used to have front mount hitches on all of our trucks. For a short term load I would not worry about the overloading of it. I used to shove a 18,000# pintle mount trailer with a small bulldozer on it around with the front hitch. I had to make sure I kept weight in the back of the truck.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:35 PM   #4

Arizona
Another option, although kind of pricey how about a motorized trailer dolly or remote trailer mover? Check out www.purplelineusa.com, www.parkit360.ca, or www.powercaster.com

The Epic RV Adventures of the Karlin Family
www.campfireshenanigans.com
skarlin1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:01 PM   #5

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarlin1976 View Post
Another option, although kind of pricey how about a motorized trailer dolly or remote trailer mover? Check out Get a Power Trailer Mover or Remote Trailer Mover at PurpleLineUSA.com, www.parkit360.ca, or Power Caster,electric trailer mover dolly, boat dolly, toy hauler
I saw one of those the other day in a magazine, has anyone used them before, I'm sure that would be the easiest, but definitely pricey
Bgross00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:49 PM   #6

Oklahoma
my dealer uses a trailer tug every time I bring the trailer there. I disconnect, they come riding up, lift the trailer and off they go. I need one of those.

Tags
front, hitch, receiver, towing