First Tow Trip Report - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2019, 03:21 AM   #1

Arizona
First Tow Trip Report

Finally got to tow the 6000# trailer ~1000 last week and I am ecstatic! I owned a 2012 Silverado 1500 5.3 2WD prior to the EcoD and while it pulled okay the mileage was never above 10.1 mpg and most of the time in the low 9's. I also cringed every time I went up a grade as the engine needed over 3000 rpm to maintain ~40 mph on anything over a 3%-4% grade. Not wanting a 2500 for a daily driver my friend suggested that I investigate the EcoD and I have to say it was the best truck buying tip I have ever received.
Left Phoenix, AZ around 12:15 PM after the wife got off work last Monday. Had about 3/4 tank of fuel and decided to see if I could make it the 150 miles to Quartzsite and refuel there. Made with 1/4 tank to spare and filled up to continue to Indio, CA for an overnighter. Even after being stuck in a traffic jam for 2.5 hours between Blythe and a bit past Desert Center. I averaged 16.6 mpg. Fortunately the winds were light and the route fairly flat which I am sure helped a great deal.
Tuesday morning took off for Mojave, CA and had to climb Cajon Pass, 5%-6%, grade which tops out around 4600'. The EcoD never stuttered and climbed that hill at 55 mph and ~2250 rpm with absolutely no problem. Trans never got above 178* while oil and coolant stayed around 224*. Finally reached Mojave and was amazed to discover that I had averaged 15.4 mpg from Phoenix. BTW, I bought 9 gallons of diesel there with the intention of getting back to Quartzsite, and cheaper diesel, without buying more in California. Spent the week at Bequinox which is the Burning Man Los Angeles regional event.
Headed home Sunday morning and knew I would get good mileage coming down Cajon Pass and wasn't disappointed. Averaged 17.3 back to Indio. Made it to Quartzsite with less that a quarter tank so I didn't have to buy any more fuel in California. This truck just blows me away. It hauls the trailer like it isn't even there and never strains on the grades. The truck is also very stable when towing. I have the Curt 10,000# WDH with 1000# bars and I use the cheapo Harbor Freight friction anti-sway bars. We were never pushed around by trucks or wind on the trip. The driving was so much more relaxed and comfortable than my Silverado it was hard to believe. I should add that I did install the Air-Lift 1000# air bags on this truck for stability and run them at 34 psi.
My biggest take away is the mileage. Considering that diesel has been about 10% more than gas, and I am getting around 60% better mileage, with less stress, this has been the best vehicle purchase I have ever made. Can't wait for the burn in Colorado and the chance to see how the rig handles Raton Pass in June.

Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:41 PM   #2

Wyoming
Nice to read good news!

Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:00 PM   #3

Louisiana
Great information! Thank you! Let us know how your trip in June goes.
"Cherise" 2001 Harley Sportster 1200 C
Vagabond Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:33 AM   #4

California
Great write up, thank you!

I have a question about the engine temperature at 224 degrees F. That seems really high to me. I’ve never had an engine get that hot, and water boils at 212 degrees F, so that coolant was working overtime to keep the cooling system from an overheat. Are you sure the transmission wasn’t 224 F and engine 178F?
Drinks of choice: any great bourbon-San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:40 AM   #5

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
Great write up, thank you!

I have a question about the engine temperature at 224 degrees F. That seems really high to me. I’ve never had an engine get that hot, and water boils at 212 degrees F, so that coolant was working overtime to keep the cooling system from an overheat. Are you sure the transmission wasn’t 224 F and engine 178F?
No the numbers are stated correctly. Water under pressure, and with anti-freeze added, doesn't boil at 212*. For example, with 44% AF and 12 psi the mixture won't boil until 257*. At 60% AF and 16psi that temp climbs to 273*. I would always hope for a cooler trans temp since it is no where near the combustion components of the vehicle. I don't have my sheet in front of me for the derate temps but I believe the trans is ~250*. BTW, my oil and coolant temps are usually not more than 5* or so different. Hope that helps.
CanyonMan
P.S. PBR???LOL
Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:30 AM   #6

California
Hot engine

Yea, aware of how coolant works to change the boiling point. After all, that’s the point.

that engine gets much hotter than I’m used to. Mine stay under 210 max, usually well under 200 while towing, but I’m talking about big blocks. Maybe the higher temperatures are specific to a smaller engine with boost?

P.S. PBR is still great after mowing the lawn in the summer and you need to gulp down a beer without tasting it much. I don’t drink much mass produced beer, but when I do, it’s PBR. I’m partial because Retired PBR master brewer, Karl Strauss, was the pioneer of the craft beer scene that resulted in San Diego becoming ground zero of the craft beer movement.
Drinks of choice: any great bourbon-San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 02:25 AM   #7

Arizona
While I am not a diesel expert by any standard, as I understand it diesels run hotter than IC engines due to the higher compression ratio. My old Silverado gassed was always around 200 degrees like yours.
While antifreeze does raise the boiling point most of the actual benefit comes from a pressurized system. Generally, the higher the pressure, to a point, the higher the boiling point.
BTW, Ilike Corona, go figure.