Finished my new tow vehicle, it works very well. - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2018, 11:28 PM   #1

Washington
Finished my new tow vehicle, it works very well.

Howdy All,

I got tired of the Smart Car, taking up half the garage in my toy hauler, so I built a new truck that could haul the Smart Car, behind the sleeper. Now I have the full 18 feet of garage for TOYS again.

Dave

Old 07-01-2018, 01:59 AM   #2

New York
Nice rig. I have to ask; how can you get that into camp sites other than rest stops?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spichura-300TQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:16 AM   #3

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by spichura-300TQ View Post
Nice rig. I have to ask; how can you get that into camp sites other than rest stops?

I don't have any problem getting into and using the more modern camp grounds, most camp grounds have or are up grading their camp sites to allow for larger rigs, many 40 foot plus Class A RV's are towing at least a 20 foot trailer behind them. This is the last camp ground we were at, they had MANY sites we could have fit into. I have pulled far forward in this site so I could open the toy hauler and park motorcycles behind the trailer.

Click this link, it will take you to the photo gallery where I took photos of the rigs in attendance at our last HDT rally in Caldwell, just few days ago.

https://mr-cob.smugmug.com/2018-HDT-...-truck-photos/

Dave
Old 07-01-2018, 02:19 AM   #4

New York
Dave,

That’s awesome. I would love to have a tow vehicle like that....eventually. That’s defiantly ideal.

spichura-300TQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:39 AM   #5

Florida
Wow, just wow!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:46 AM   #6

Oklahoma
Wow

Do you need a special D. L. for something like that?
Red Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:23 PM   #7

Florida
How do you get the car down? We are thinking of purchasing a SMART car for economical travel while we are camping. How do you like the vehicle? Does is have enough power to conquer the mountain roads?
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:45 PM   #8

Oregon
What? No boat?
Researchhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:19 PM   #9

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Do you need a special D. L. for something like that?
It depends on where you live, each State has different licensing requirements. In my home State of Washington, if I jump through the hoops nessisary to convert the truck to a "motor home", which I have done, the vehicle is now a legal RV and requires no special license to drive. I might add that I was once a professional driver so I know what I am doing when behind the wheel of this rig.

Dave
Old 07-01-2018, 04:24 PM   #10

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
How do you get the car down? We are thinking of purchasing a SMART car for economical travel while we are camping. How do you like the vehicle? Does is have enough power to conquer the mountain roads?
This is a photo taken during the deck build showing a test loading of the car.

Believe me, this monster goes up a grade in style, I have to slow down for slower traffic and curves that's it.

Dave
Old 07-01-2018, 04:25 PM   #11

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Researchhound View Post
What? No boat?
Never was into boats, but I could one up to 18 feet long in the garage of the toy hauler.

Dave
Old 07-02-2018, 12:46 PM   #12

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
I don't have any problem getting into and using the more modern camp grounds, most camp grounds have or are up grading their camp sites to allow for larger rigs, many 40 foot plus Class A RV's are towing at least a 20 foot trailer behind them. This is the last camp ground we were at, they had MANY sites we could have fit into. I have pulled far forward in this site so I could open the toy hauler and park motorcycles behind the trailer.

Click this link, it will take you to the photo gallery where I took photos of the rigs in attendance at our last HDT rally in Caldwell, just few days ago.

https://mr-cob.smugmug.com/2018-HDT-...-truck-photos/

Dave
Oh, wow ... I would've assumed this was just delivering the trailer ... not the standard tow vehicle. Holy cow!
PamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:53 PM   #13

Maryland
On our last trip we saw a rig very similar to yours at a campground in Natural Bridge, VA; Big rig with Smart car just like yours towing a triple axle Voltage toyhauler ... Awesome rig!

2011 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4
2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
mjcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:17 PM   #14

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamW View Post
Oh, wow ... I would've assumed this was just delivering the trailer ... not the standard tow vehicle. Holy cow!
Look here - you'll be further amazed: Home | Heavy Haulers RV Resource Guide
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:07 AM   #15

Illinois
Now That is a truck no one can say is not enough for a trailer! It is something I would do myself since I used to drive OTR.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:41 AM   #16

Washington
Howdy All,

We are now camped in Hannibal Missouri, so far on this trip we have towed through the mountains of Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and Colorado, the truck has performed flawlessly. Towing across the flatland's of the midwest and even the rolling hills in Missouri is BORING, I am looking forward to the trip back home and again driving in the mountains.

Dave