Fastway sway question - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2019, 04:41 PM   #1

North Carolina
Fastway sway question

We bought a Fastway sway control system that doesn't fit with a 4-3/8" Bal/Nor frame. We can buy 2 inner and 2 outer equalizer brackets specifically made for this system and size frame. (Let's pretend the additional cost doesn't irk me no end!) But now I'm confused about how it all fits together.

The included brackets have 2 bolt ends producing from the outer bar. The L-bracket fits onto these bolts. The 4-3/8" replacement brackets don't have these bolts, so what does the L-bracket mount to? Do I have to purchase additional, additional parts??

Next, is it even worth the bother? Would I be just as well-off going without an anti-sway system? We'll be travelling from NC to TX in a couple of weeks, and the husband likes to have all the lickies and chewies, but I'm not yet convinced. The original hitch before all the Fastway mess was a combination 3-way, pretty standard hitch. Regular bumper-pull. It'll be towing an Aerolite (Thor) F23AB. The towing vehicle is a Toyota Tundra TRD. Any thoughts?

CharlesnCrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:16 PM   #2

Ohio
It sounds like the sway control "system" was incomplete (or wrong application) to start. You should not have to buy a bunch of additional hardware to make it work. Without some pictures and specific model numbers little difficult to determine.
As to going without, if the trailer weighs more than 50% of Tow vehicle sway control should be used. I'm guessing TRD weighs approx 2500-2800, Trailer approx 6000. That about 2.4 times weight of TV.
It's been awhile since had a TT with sway control, there are others on here that are more up to date. Generally speaking this should have been a bolt on, test drive, adjust, Good to go. Your TV will likely be difficult to control at speed.

2015 Voltage 3605
KN5DX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:36 PM   #3

North Carolina
Strangely enough, the system fits apparently every size *except* 4-3/8 in. Which is BAL/NOR, which is apparently one of the most common frames. Go figure. Even says in their install video, if you have this frame you'll need additional parts to fit, and it says contact them for those parts. Best I can tell, that's a lie, because in no catalog of theirs do they list these parts. On top of that, they're hard to find anywhere online, and sold individually, and bolts *also* come separate. Argh!! Anyway, enough of my venting.

The info about weights was good to have, thank you. I know next to nothing about towing, and the husband only slightly more than me, so it's going to be an experience. He's taking the mess back to Camping World as we speak. (My kingdom for a store that actually knows what they're selling you. At least once. About anything!!) And I guess he'll try looking for one that's better suited to our camper. I appreciate the help!
Old 07-04-2019, 07:02 PM   #4

Wisconsin
Fast Way e2 WHD

The Fast Way System I was able to see is a weight distribution hitch. It can also have sway control.
The brackets with the "L" shape are for sway control. The straight brackets are when no sway control is present.
Check out the YouTube videos the company provides showing installation and operation.
Here is one of them
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:09 PM   #5

Wisconsin
The instructions detail the need for a special bracket for your special frame size. Call the factory or talk to the dealer you bought the hitch from. I am not sure what the price is or is not charged. Ask about the special socket you may need to attach the ball to the ball mount while you are at it. (see video)

Very few frames are made the size you have. It seems, the standard brackets cannot be easily made to accommodate your frame size and still work with the majority of other frames.

The standard "L" brackets may work with the special frame brackets. The standard bolts would go through the special frame brackets to attach the "L" brackets.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:41 AM   #6

North Carolina
The husband already took the thing back. I think it was a fed-up-with-it thing. But it seems an anti-sway system would be a good idea still, so do you know of any that wouldn't need all the additional parts for this size frame?
Old 07-05-2019, 01:17 PM   #7

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesnCrystal View Post
… Even says in their install video, if you have this frame you'll need additional parts to fit, and it says contact them for those parts. Best I can tell, that's a lie, because in no catalog of theirs do they list these parts. On top of that, they're hard to find anywhere online, and sold individually, and bolts *also* come separate. Argh!! Anyway, enough of my venting.
The manufacturer may not charge for the extra brackets. They my just FedX them to you. You probably do not need extra bolts. The bolts in the kit will probably work with the new brackets.

… (My kingdom for a store that actually knows what they're selling you. At least once. About anything!!) …

Well said! Are you an actor or writer?
Old 07-05-2019, 04:58 PM   #8

North Carolina
No, it's total plagiarism..lol

In case anyone runs across this question again, the manufacturer DOES charge for the correct parts- to the tune of $94. So I won't be keeping this item, just on general principle. The downside to that is that now I've got to find a new product, and I've got 2 weeks to order it, ship it, install it, and test drive it. Ugh.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:56 PM   #9

Arizona
I have the E2 Fastway system and love it. Install was easy peasy. I followed the instruction booklet that came with the unit and watched the video so I understood the terms. The optional brackets needed for your size frame is mentioned in the install booklet.

Even after changing my TV, it only took me an hour to re-setup the E2 trunnion system to the new truck. I'm towing 6500lbs. No issues in high winds, narrow 2 lane mountain passes or semi's blowing by me 75mph!

And yes, I would highly recommend the system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190416_145047.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	5582  
People, Places & Things...for over 40 Years!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:26 PM   #10

North Carolina
Thanks for the review. It's nice to hear from people who actually have one. I do know it was pretty easy to install, since we had it almost totally set up when we hit the wrinkle with the frame plates...lol. I guess I'm just stuck on the frustration of almost $100 for replacement brackets. Plus shipping. �� Guess we'll just have to sit and hem and haw over it another day or two and decide if it's worth it to go re-buy the thing..lol
Old 07-07-2019, 01:35 PM   #11

Arizona
You are welcome.

If you bought this unit at Camping World, shame on them for not knowing their product. They should have asked questions about your tow vehicle and trailer, so you should have been advised before purchase about the different parts needed for your application. You might want to make sure the unit you bought is also rated for your trailer's gross weight. Maybe they got that wrong too!
People, Places & Things...for over 40 Years!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 02:33 PM   #12

North Carolina
Yep, Camping World. And yep, they're great, as long as you don't actually need anything answered or any service done, it seems. Thank goodness we knew our own trailer weight, that one we *were* clear on all on our own..lol

Example story... We bought the thing with a window unit in it, and the egress window sitting inside. When we tried to put the window glass back in, turns out the guy had broken the glass and had it replaced incorrectly. Long story short, it totally didnt fit back in. So we go to CW needing to order another. Guy says I need wall hole dimensions. Easy enough. I call him back with those so he can order the new one, BUT--- no answer at his extension, I leave a voicemail and it never gets returned, we email the business card he gave us and get no reply. This goes on for a week before we finally go back to the store, which is 45 min away.

Guy says oh, he's transferring in a few days (how nice for you!), and here's this OTHER guy who's taking over his spot. So we give the new guy the info. Then he says these new windows only come in black, and tinted (our camper is white with no tint), so we're going to be paying $230 for a non-matching window and frame. Ok, at least that's not his fault. And it's going to take a week and a half or so probably to get here. Ok, again, it is what it is, right? So, days later we try to follow up to ask has the window been ordered, and, yep, you guessed it-- he's Mr. Unreachable Jr!!

After a few more days (it's been almost 3 weeks total now), we have to go BACK to reach the guy. And yep, you guessed this also-- he ALSO hasn't even ordered the thing! My husband got the mgr, who was brand new to the store, and read him the riot act about how lazy and useless his new store employees are, told him to read the Yelp reviews and take a hard look at why they're so low..lol. And we left.

Only other store here is Gander Mtn, who, as it turns out, had just been bought out by Camping World. Oh. Yay. But we give it a try anyway. Get a friendly, helpful, brand new employee who looks up all the correct info and says he will get it to his upper-up to put in the order the following morning, and it will be a week and a half delivery. Awesome! But the next day, I'm sick over the idea of paying so much for a window that doesnt even match, and I look up used RV parts online. Come up with a lot in Schenectady, NY who has the exact part and color I need for less than $100, shipping included, can be here in 3 days. You better believe I jumped on that deal...lol. The husband tries to reach Gander Mtn to tell them nevermind on the order, and has to leave a message for the parts guys. No return calls. TWO WEEKS LATER, he gets a voicemail from Gander saying congratulations, we've ordered your part! He calls back to try again to tell them nevermind the part, we've already gotten the thing from another vendor AND installed it. No return calls. A week and a half after THAT, we get another call from them saying, congratulations, your new window is here! He told the guy, pfft, get bent. Six weeks we've been messing with you guys about this window. Guess you'll just have to eat that cost.

I'm pretty sure that the new kid's upper-up who was supposed to order that window was a guy from the actual, original Camping World. He must've thought the kid was being entirely too efficient and decided to show him how things were SUPPOSED to be done...lol And this is just one example of our dealings with them. Moral of the story: Never again, if there is any other available option, will we spend another dime shopping at Camping World. I'm better off researching by myself and asking my questions to helpful forum-goers like you all! Lol
Old 07-08-2019, 08:13 PM   #13

Florida
Yep, that's camping world!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:30 PM   #14

Florida
I would NEVER tow a TT without a anti-sway system. A friend of mine lost his wife who was driving when their TT swayed and flipped. The first time a 18 wheeler passed you without the anti-sway system in place you'll wish it was in place. Good luck use it correctly!
davesullivansr@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:27 PM   #15

Texas
Don't know where you stand right now with your hitch/sway control issues. I highly recommend the Blue Ox SwayPro. My TT is 37' long and have zero issues with large trucks and cross winds when towing, love this hitch. It is also much quieter than most of the other sway control hitches. My only recommendation for a SwayPro is to throw away the provided tool and replace it with a 1/2" drive 24" long breaker bar with a 1" socket. Breaker bar is also useful for changing tires.

etrailer
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...x/BXW1000.html