Fastway sway question - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2019, 01:35 PM   #11

Arizona
You are welcome.

If you bought this unit at Camping World, shame on them for not knowing their product. They should have asked questions about your tow vehicle and trailer, so you should have been advised before purchase about the different parts needed for your application. You might want to make sure the unit you bought is also rated for your trailer's gross weight. Maybe they got that wrong too!

People, Places & Things...for over 40 Years!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 02:33 PM   #12

North Carolina
Yep, Camping World. And yep, they're great, as long as you don't actually need anything answered or any service done, it seems. Thank goodness we knew our own trailer weight, that one we *were* clear on all on our own..lol

Example story... We bought the thing with a window unit in it, and the egress window sitting inside. When we tried to put the window glass back in, turns out the guy had broken the glass and had it replaced incorrectly. Long story short, it totally didnt fit back in. So we go to CW needing to order another. Guy says I need wall hole dimensions. Easy enough. I call him back with those so he can order the new one, BUT--- no answer at his extension, I leave a voicemail and it never gets returned, we email the business card he gave us and get no reply. This goes on for a week before we finally go back to the store, which is 45 min away.

Guy says oh, he's transferring in a few days (how nice for you!), and here's this OTHER guy who's taking over his spot. So we give the new guy the info. Then he says these new windows only come in black, and tinted (our camper is white with no tint), so we're going to be paying $230 for a non-matching window and frame. Ok, at least that's not his fault. And it's going to take a week and a half or so probably to get here. Ok, again, it is what it is, right? So, days later we try to follow up to ask has the window been ordered, and, yep, you guessed it-- he's Mr. Unreachable Jr!!

After a few more days (it's been almost 3 weeks total now), we have to go BACK to reach the guy. And yep, you guessed this also-- he ALSO hasn't even ordered the thing! My husband got the mgr, who was brand new to the store, and read him the riot act about how lazy and useless his new store employees are, told him to read the Yelp reviews and take a hard look at why they're so low..lol. And we left.

Only other store here is Gander Mtn, who, as it turns out, had just been bought out by Camping World. Oh. Yay. But we give it a try anyway. Get a friendly, helpful, brand new employee who looks up all the correct info and says he will get it to his upper-up to put in the order the following morning, and it will be a week and a half delivery. Awesome! But the next day, I'm sick over the idea of paying so much for a window that doesnt even match, and I look up used RV parts online. Come up with a lot in Schenectady, NY who has the exact part and color I need for less than $100, shipping included, can be here in 3 days. You better believe I jumped on that deal...lol. The husband tries to reach Gander Mtn to tell them nevermind on the order, and has to leave a message for the parts guys. No return calls. TWO WEEKS LATER, he gets a voicemail from Gander saying congratulations, we've ordered your part! He calls back to try again to tell them nevermind the part, we've already gotten the thing from another vendor AND installed it. No return calls. A week and a half after THAT, we get another call from them saying, congratulations, your new window is here! He told the guy, pfft, get bent. Six weeks we've been messing with you guys about this window. Guess you'll just have to eat that cost.

I'm pretty sure that the new kid's upper-up who was supposed to order that window was a guy from the actual, original Camping World. He must've thought the kid was being entirely too efficient and decided to show him how things were SUPPOSED to be done...lol And this is just one example of our dealings with them. Moral of the story: Never again, if there is any other available option, will we spend another dime shopping at Camping World. I'm better off researching by myself and asking my questions to helpful forum-goers like you all! Lol

CharlesnCrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:13 PM   #13

Florida
Yep, that's camping world!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:30 PM   #14

Florida
I would NEVER tow a TT without a anti-sway system. A friend of mine lost his wife who was driving when their TT swayed and flipped. The first time a 18 wheeler passed you without the anti-sway system in place you'll wish it was in place. Good luck use it correctly!
davesullivansr@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:27 PM   #15

Texas
Don't know where you stand right now with your hitch/sway control issues. I highly recommend the Blue Ox SwayPro. My TT is 37' long and have zero issues with large trucks and cross winds when towing, love this hitch. It is also much quieter than most of the other sway control hitches. My only recommendation for a SwayPro is to throw away the provided tool and replace it with a 1/2" drive 24" long breaker bar with a 1" socket. Breaker bar is also useful for changing tires.

etrailer
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...x/BXW1000.html

« Ram 2500 6.4L | - »