Equilizer 4 way sway controller - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2015, 12:14 PM   #1

Ontario
Equilizer 4 way sway controller

Well we are a little over a month away from picking up the unit we bought back in November, made the winter feel even longer!

The dealer will be installing the sway control hitch, but before I drive away I want to make sure it is hooked up correctly. I have watch videos on how to install, but have not seen any info on how to determine the amount of links i need to get it on the unit.

Is it a standard for the length or weight of trailer?

Any help you all can provide will be useful as always

E.Fudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:31 AM   #2

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Fudd View Post
Well we are a little over a month away from picking up the unit we bought back in November, made the winter feel even longer!

The dealer will be installing the sway control hitch, but before I drive away I want to make sure it is hooked up correctly. I have watch videos on how to install, but have not seen any info on how to determine the amount of links i need to get it on the unit.

Is it a standard for the length or weight of trailer?

Any help you all can provide will be useful as always
The equalizer doesn't use chain lengths. You can download the manual and on page 16 it tells you how to check if its set up properly.

You will be taking a couple of measurements, pretty simple.

I am happy with my hitch, I am sure you will be too!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EQOwnersManual.pdf (5.88 MB, 76 views)

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:17 AM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
Biggest thing with the Equalizer is make sure you have the correct sized one for your rig. They come in a range of sizes and sometimes the dealers try to use whatever they have in stock, versus what they should use. I have had this happen more than once.

Other than that I think you will like the way the hitch performs, take time to learn the set up on it. I used one for several years on my Airstream and it was trouble free the entire time.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:47 AM   #4

Utah
my rv dealer installed mine on my first truck and I felt like it was just set to the average positions. I never real took the time to adjust or fine tune. So last month I bought a new truck and the hitch sits higher than the other. I did not take the time to adjust to the new truck before the first trip and boy was it bad. During the 5 day trip I really took the time at every stop to tweak and adjust and man what a difference. I hardly even know that 34 footer is on the back. I would definitely recommend the Eq hitch and do your self a favor and learn how to adjust the hitch. 3/4 socket, 5/8 socket, 1 1/8 open end wrench and a Cresent. Minimum of 4 washers and max of 8.
bcs slc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:06 PM   #5

Ontario
Thanks everyone for the help.
I know it uses the bolt system but just figure there might be a formula or something they use to set it up.

Guess it is tweak as you go.
E.Fudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:38 PM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Fudd View Post
Thanks everyone for the help.
I know it uses the bolt system but just figure there might be a formula or something they use to set it up.

Guess it is tweak as you go.
Pretty much. If you follow the directions in the manual it gets you pretty darned close. They you can fine tune as you need too. I have found with my current hitch I may have to drop down a link if I am running light versus our usual loaded to the hilt mode.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote

« Tpms | Which Truck? »