EAZ lift / Free Ride 5th wheel hitch - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2014, 04:13 AM   #1

Ohio
EAZ lift / Free Ride 5th wheel hitch

Is anyone using a Free Ride hitch with the Gooseneck attachment mount for towing a heavy 5er or toy hauler? We just purchased a Voltage V3200 (16.5K GVWR) and have a Colibert gooseneck hitch in the truck now. I can't have rails in my truckbed to get in my way, so I am looking for alternatives for a 5th wheel hitch.
The hitch will be removed/installed in the truck weekly to a couple times a month, depending on my work schedule.
Thks,
Jeff

ACDRescuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:39 AM   #2

Michigan
As a previous gooseneck adapter user, I will HIGHLY recommend against it. I had it on my Sunnybrook for about a year in order to keep my in bed fuel tank in my shortbed truck. The gooseneck, for whatever reason, stresses the 5th wheel frame. I ended up with cracks in the body where the corners of the bedroom slide met the body. I went to and still use in my current truck a B&W Turnover ball hitch with 5th wheel companion. Easy to remove and a nice flat bed...

donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #3

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
As a previous gooseneck adapter user, I will HIGHLY recommend against it.
The Free Ride hitch isn't an adapter, it is the same system as the B&W Companion, but it fits the Colibert gooseneck hitch instead of the B&W turnover ball. I have been informed by many how the Lippert frame is far inferior to the frame of my last RV, an Arctic Fox. I had a Eas lift (Colibert) gooseneck adapter on that trailer for 10 yrs with no issues, but the frame on the Arctic Fox is 2x stronger than the Voltage we bought to replace it, and weighed 2 tons less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
I went to and still use in my current truck a B&W Turnover ball hitch with 5th wheel companion. Easy to remove and a nice flat bed...
I have been looking at the B&W companion, and it is a very nice unit. My problem with it is having to throw out my perfectly good Colibert gooseneck hitch that has been in the truck for 15 yrs and spend $760 to have a B&W replacement installed. The Free Ride hitch and the B&W companion 5th wheels are comparably priced. The other issue is the weight of the B&W companion. 201lbs to need to lift in and out of the truck a couple times a week (my truck works daily) could become a real hassle.
I am really looking for someone who has the Eaz-lift Free Ride hitch to give a review of how it works/lives in the "real" world. The B&W is nice, but lifting it out by hand several times a week sounds like a real chore. The Eaz-lift is only 128lbs, so would be more managable.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 10-03-2014, 12:31 PM   #4

Iowa
Take a look at the Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch. I use it to pull my 3605 and it works great. I have the BW ball and the Anderson Ultimate mounts to that ball and tightens down with a bolt and sleeve on top of the ball then 2 bolts lock it in place along with a pin through the sleeve. It has a frame that sits flat on your bed floor and forms a pyramid and at the peak is another adjustable 2 5/8 ball. It comes with an assembly that bolts around the pin on your camper and has the hole for the ball on the other end with a cable and push pull twist handle to lock the ball in. It only weighs about 60 lbs I can lift it in and out no problem and only takes a minute to tighten the bolts. I too need the truck bed to be empty when I'm farming and this works great. My Voltage dealer recommended this hitch and sold it to me.
dougs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #5

Ohio
Thanks for the idea, dougs2, but though it solves the weight issue, it still cost me the time and money to throw away my current goose hitch and install a B&W. The Free Ride solves the problem without additional cost, but I would like to know someone is actually using this system with a heavy trailer. There aren't any reviews online that I can find.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 10-03-2014, 06:10 PM   #6

Iowa
According to the Anderson web site the Ultimate hitch will work with any gooseneck ball hitch not just the B&W. Just wanted to clarify that. Hopefully someone will have an answer.
dougs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:18 AM   #7

New Mexico
The Anderson Ultimate Hitch does work with any Gooseneck. This is an old thread so you probably know that already. Just throwing it out.

ALEKATNM is offline   Reply With Quote