Dually Tires - Page 3 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2016, 02:58 PM   #41

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by calewjohnson View Post
Until I got this truck, I always rotated tires at oil change intervals...quick math told me I could purchase a new set of tires by the 50k mile mark if they lasted...so I stopped after the first six tire rotation.

I have seen some folks here with different steer tires...I don't think I could handle that, I would probably go postal from seeing mismatched brands. I am glad I don't drive a big rig...

Cale
IMO it's usually a good decision to keep all tires on an axle of the same brand, size and design if at all possible. It is industry practice to ensure that all tires on an axle TV or TT have same inflation.

Retired Tire Design Engineer (40 years). I write a blog on RV tire applications www.RVTireSafety.NET and give seminars on RV tire application across the US. Serve on Technical Advisory Panel for FMCA. I am scheduled to give seminars on Genealogy and RV Tire Safety in March at FMCA in Tuscon AZ on 25 & 26.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 03:00 PM   #42

Ohio
Quote:
I was talking about just leaving the backs as they are....never moving them.

Only swapping the front tires from wheel to wheel.

This set of tires, I did a six tire rotation. The fronts had bad worn outsides, they were moved to the inside rear with the hopes of flattening out. They never did. I feel I could have gotten 50k miles from the rear if I would have left well enough alone and just replaced the fronts when they had worn.

Cale
Bad outside shoulder wear is an indication of a probable mis-alignment of the front end.

Retired Tire Design Engineer (40 years). I write a blog on RV tire applications www.RVTireSafety.NET and give seminars on RV tire application across the US. Serve on Technical Advisory Panel for FMCA. I am scheduled to give seminars on Genealogy and RV Tire Safety in March at FMCA in Tuscon AZ on 25 & 26.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:45 AM   #43

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Bad outside shoulder wear is an indication of a probable mis-alignment of the front end.
Yes, while I tend to agree, I was told at my last alignment check that everything was within factory specs. It was explained to me that the camber is set such that the tires wear even when under heavy loads. However, there is only a few hundred pound difference on the front axle between loaded and unloaded...

The factory only gives so much adjustment and can be shimmed for a bit more, I may look into that this time. Not only is this my tow vehicle, it is also my daily driver.

Cale
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:51 AM   #44
Site Team

North Carolina
Cale,

I will have to see if I can find the article. There is a shop somewhere that specializes in trucks and motor homes. On the Ford chassis in particular they advocate pushing the one adjustment very close to the outside edge of the Ford spec, apparently the Ford spec is pretty broad, they also show an offset between the right and left sides.

Here is a pdf that I copied from the article that has to do with my specific E-450 chassis. Might be worth looking into.

Aaron
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Custom Alignment Specs.pdf (236.3 KB, 51 views)
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:58 AM   #45

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Cale,

I will have to see if I can find the article. There is a shop somewhere that specializes in trucks and motor homes. On the Ford chassis in particular they advocate pushing the one adjustment very close to the outside edge of the Ford spec, apparently the Ford spec is pretty broad, they also show an offset between the right and left sides.

Here is a pdf that I copied from the article that has to do with my specific E-450 chassis. Might be worth looking into.

Aaron

Thanks! I believe the adjustment you are referring to is the caster adjustment. I have been doing a lot of research on the Ford forums and it seems that the general consensus to to set caster near max positive, which would prevent the "dreaded death wobble". I have never experienced this, I thought folks who experienced this are the ones that no longer have stock suspension.

I am trying to be very deliberate in my choice of shops for alignments. I had a bad experience with my Duramax a few years ago...it was "aligned", but ended up with a messed up suspension in the end. A lot of these shops have inexperienced kids working in them. They can handle small cars those dopey suspensions, but these heavy duty suspensions are quite intricate when considering the Family of Systems environment they work in.

Cale
Old 07-17-2016, 12:05 PM   #46
Site Team

North Carolina
I believe it was the caster... I am still on my first cup of coffee

Need to find a shop that specializes in trucks. My motor home is going to need an alignment, I am probably going to take it to a Ford heavy truck service center. Not too many shops can handle the 223" wheel base. Not to mention the 32'+ O/A length. We have two Ford heavy truck shops in my area, one used to be my dealer of choice but they got on "The List" a while back for a couple of bonehead moves on my bride's F-150. The other one is about 55 miles away and I don't know anything about them.

I like my tractors... set the toe and let'em go.

Aaron
Old 07-17-2016, 01:16 PM   #47

Ohio
Quote:
Yes, while I tend to agree, I was told at my last alignment check that everything was within factory specs. It was explained to me that the camber is set such that the tires wear even when under heavy loads. However, there is only a few hundred pound difference on the front axle between loaded and unloaded...

The factory only gives so much adjustment and can be shimmed for a bit more, I may look into that this time. Not only is this my tow vehicle, it is also my daily driver.

Cale
Your front tire wear is saying that for your total use you have too much positive camber or too much toe in or bit of both.

Factory specs are a compromise based on estimated use. You now have data (tire wear) that suggests what you need to consider.
I bet if you ask your alignment shop what outside shoulder wear on both fronts indicates they will not tell you everything is OK.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:08 PM   #48

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Your front tire wear is saying that for your total use you have too much positive camber or too much toe in or bit of both.

Factory specs are a compromise based on estimated use. You now have data (tire wear) that suggests what you need to consider.
I bet if you ask your alignment shop what outside shoulder wear on both fronts indicates they will not tell you everything is OK.
Great, thanks for the info! As it stands now, I have about 50/50 between laden/unladen driving. I will take pics of the worn fronts and work with a shop to get it dialed in. I think the dealer does checks to see if in the wide range, while the Mr Tires & NTB's of the world crank on stuff not really knowing what they are adjusting for.

I have literally driven to 90% of the tire stores in a 50 mile radius "interviewing" them. I want to have the warm/fuzzy they know what they are doing.

Cale
Old 07-17-2016, 05:12 PM   #49

Nevada
Cale, There is a shop out there, that will get it right, For a few years, I worked on Big city vehicles, and we got them working right.....I also have, the Biggest Lance camper that I use in the winter, and it has more weight on the front tires, and my tires have over 30K and they are wearing perfect....Good Luck
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:38 PM   #50

Illinois
Just my humble opinion but I would go strictly to a front end/suspension shop. After watching my buddy for 40 years, it's as much art as science to get it right. I don't want an eighteen year old who changes oil and installs batteries working on my front end.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:51 PM   #51
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Just my humble opinion but I would go strictly to a front end/suspension shop. After watching my buddy for 40 years, it's as much art as science to get it right. I don't want an eighteen year old who changes oil and installs batteries working on my front end.
Rusty
Therein lies the problem... getting a shop that has experienced people. Many, many moons ago I was ASE certified, turns out it wasn't what I wanted for a career so I moved on. Very few places utilize them anymore it seems. Also the more you move into heavier equipment the fewer there are. As things have become more automated the guys (and gals) that have a "feel" for this kind of work have kind of disappeared, in a large part because these shops don't want to pay decent wages if they can hire someone, show them the basics and call it good.

If you find a good shop with good people, stick with them! My PSD guy retired a few years back, I stopped taking my PSD to that dealership, because none of the rest of them had his experience level and I am not paying $150 an hour for someone to learn how on my vehicle.

Aaron
Old 01-05-2017, 02:40 AM   #52

Florida
I have 27k on BF GOODRICH 235/80R17 ALL TERRAINS.. load range E... wearing well and even will probably go back with them when time comes... only about 1500 miles with the 5er but had a 30' Bumper pull toyhauler before that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ANDERSON ULTIMATE FIFTH WHEEL CONECTION
Nate42379 is offline   Reply With Quote