Dually Tires - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2016, 07:27 PM   #21

Nevada
Because most of us, go all over the place from Big City areas to back roads, I would stay with a tire, coming from the big tire stores, Big O, Discount etc. There are stores everywhere?

2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:34 AM   #22

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNevada View Post
Because most of us, go all over the place from Big City areas to back roads, I would stay with a tire, coming from the big tire stores, Big O, Discount etc. There are stores everywhere?
I prefer to do my own work...I use base auto hobby shops when available, or I find an old school independent tire shop. When we were in CA a local shop destroyed everyone's price and always did my Duramax well...

Last time I went to Tire Kingdom out of necessity, they marred one of my wheels very badly (Duramax). The one and only time I had my dually tires rotated at a dealer during my cross country trip, I lost both rear center caps. I am not trusting of "major retailers".

Heck, if I could change tires with tire spoons and Dynabeads (like I did with my motorcycle) I would go that route...don't think my compressor can set the bead, nor do I want to fight that big of a tire.

Cale

calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:35 AM   #23

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
When this truck needs tires, I'll be going going to 19.5's

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Holy smokes. Those are like what's on the F-450? Like semi tires...you going to go with different steer and drive tires?

Cale
Old 06-23-2016, 09:57 AM   #24

Michigan
Yes. Father in law has been running them for several years and happy

donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:58 AM   #25

Michigan
Get an air cheetah...

donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:33 AM   #26
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNevada View Post
That's nice if you have them available. I guess. I bought my last truck tires from a local shop, had to have a warranty adjust made 1,000 miles from home. I had it done at another local shop.

Car tires I typically buy from the car dealer if they have the ones I want.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:42 PM   #27

Maryland
Looking for an opinion here....

I have been doing my due diligence on tire research looking at lots of tires. I have down selected to Yokohama Geolander A/T G015 and Michelin LTX A/T2.

The Yokohama is a new tire, April 2016...has some great reviews so far, but the shop I am looking at is a big carrier of Michelin tires. They sell them for less, which gives them selling volume, thus they get a pretty hefty check from Michelin every quarter... Because of this, I am looking at $1445 out the door for Michelins and $1305 for the Yokohama. Should I go ahead and spring for the Michelins?

Thanks,
Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
Old 07-14-2016, 10:06 PM   #28

Illinois
Never road on Yokohama's but next to Continental's (nice ride but don't last) you can't beat Michelin. For $140 difference a set, it's not even close. (My humble opinion).
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:39 PM   #29

Texas
Don't have a dually. But have worked a few 1 ton trucks for all they're worth. Strayed a couple of times over the last 25 years, but end back up on load E Michelins every time.

Keep thinking somebody will matchem on performance sooner or later. But in my humble opinion, they have hung on to the crown.

Amazing since ALL tires are so much better than tires of 20, or even 10 years ago.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:44 PM   #30

Maryland
Great, thanks. I gues I just wanted someone to push me... I only got 32k miles out of the stock Generals, rode ok, but the fronts wore like crap. This time I am going to flip the fronts around so both sides of the tires can take the beating on the outside of the tread. The axis wore beautiful. Very square across the treads.

Cale

Old 07-15-2016, 02:41 AM   #31

Florida
Cale,
I run those Michilins on my 350 srw, love them!
I seem to remember that mine are load G, since I am running srw. Could be wrong though, it has been a year since I put them on.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:45 PM   #32

Ohio
Post #6 has a nice chart but it misses a VERY important issue. That of proper matching the actual tire OD. In dual position it is imperative that the tires that are to be used as a matched pair be withing +/- 1/4" OD. Failing to do this can result in rapid wear on the smaller tire or even failure of the larger tire due to overloading.
The best way to confirm the tire dimension is to measure the Outside Circumference when fully inflated but off the vehicle. If the OC match to withing 3/4" then it is OK to use those two tires in a dually pair.

I have covered the details in my blog on RVTireSafety.
Retired Tire Design Engineer (40 years). I write a blog on RV tire applications www.RVTireSafety.NET and give seminars on RV tire application across the US. Serve on Technical Advisory Panel for FMCA. I am scheduled to give seminars on Genealogy and RV Tire Safety in March at FMCA in Tuscon AZ on 25 & 26.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:01 PM   #33

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Post #6 has a nice chart but it misses a VERY important issue. That of proper matching the actual tire OD. In dual position it is imperative that the tires that are to be used as a matched pair be withing +/- 1/4" OD. Failing to do this can result in rapid wear on the smaller tire or even failure of the larger tire due to overloading.
The best way to confirm the tire dimension is to measure the Outside Circumference when fully inflated but off the vehicle. If the OC match to withing 3/4" then it is OK to use those two tires in a dually pair.

Makes perfect sense!
I bet there are quite a few dually out there that are not within this spec.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:09 PM   #34

Pennsylvania
Quote:

Looks like another item to add to my maintenance check lists!! You're going to be a pretty busy guy Tireman. Tires have always been a big topic of discussion. Looking forward to your input...

Bill T.

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:44 PM   #35

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompwil View Post
Looks like another item to add to my maintenance check lists!! You're going to be a pretty busy guy Tireman. Tires have always been a big topic of discussion. Looking forward to your input...

Bill T.

Bill, Only time you need to do the measurement check is if/when moving tires around. If a pair has been on since new I see no reason to worry about measuring if you were to swap from R to L side. but unless you have an irregular wear problem most people do not bother.
Retired Tire Design Engineer (40 years). I write a blog on RV tire applications www.RVTireSafety.NET and give seminars on RV tire application across the US. Serve on Technical Advisory Panel for FMCA. I am scheduled to give seminars on Genealogy and RV Tire Safety in March at FMCA in Tuscon AZ on 25 & 26.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:07 PM   #36

Maryland
After seeing how the fronts wear and how the rears wear very evenly when left alone, I am planning on swapping fronts (dismount and remount) for my rotations. That will allow the outside edges to where evenly. Of course only works if it is not unidirectional. Cale

Old 07-16-2016, 01:07 AM   #37

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by calewjohnson View Post
After seeing how the fronts wear and how the rears wear very evenly when left alone, I am planning on swapping fronts (dismount and remount) for my rotations. That will allow the outside edges to where evenly. Of course only works if it is not unidirectional. Cale

OK that is a case where you need to measure the OC of the tires. You might do that before you dismount to be sure they can be moved to the rear.
See my blog post of June 17, 2013 "How to replace a tire in "Dual" application"

for details on how to properly measure the tires.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:25 AM   #38

Maryland
Quote:
OK that is a case where you need to measure the OC of the tires. You might do that before you dismount to be sure they can be moved to the rear.
See my blog post of June 17, 2013 "How to replace a tire in "Dual" application"

for details on how to properly measure the tires.
I was talking about just leaving the backs as they are....never moving them.

Only swapping the front tires from wheel to wheel.

This set of tires, I did a six tire rotation. The fronts had bad worn outsides, they were moved to the inside rear with the hopes of flattening out. They never did. I feel I could have gotten 50k miles from the rear if I would have left well enough alone and just replaced the fronts when they had worn.

Cale
Old 07-16-2016, 10:14 AM   #39
Site Team

North Carolina
What a lot of the guys do around here is just that. They leave the rear duals alone and just re-mount the fronts from side to side. They will also put a less expensive tire on the rear and a better tire on the steer axle. Some will use a highway rib on the front and a M&S on the duals. On my 1996 I ran Coopers all the way around and didn't bother with the rotation.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:53 AM   #40

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
What a lot of the guys do around here is just that. They leave the rear duals alone and just re-mount the fronts from side to side. They will also put a less expensive tire on the rear and a better tire on the steer axle. Some will use a highway rib on the front and a M&S on the duals. On my 1996 I ran Coopers all the way around and didn't bother with the rotation.

Aaron
Until I got this truck, I always rotated tires at oil change intervals...quick math told me I could purchase a new set of tires by the 50k mile mark if they lasted...so I stopped after the first six tire rotation.

I have seen some folks here with different steer tires...I don't think I could handle that, I would probably go postal from seeing mismatched brands. I am glad I don't drive a big rig...

Cale