Diesel, where to fuel? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2016, 06:00 PM   #1

Indiana
Diesel, where to fuel?

Purchased a diesel truck recently. When you are pulling your TT, do you typically fuel at the normal car/truck pumps or do you occasionally use the semi lanes?

I certainly don't want to torque off the semi drivers, but it sure looks like a great option, as the lanes are bigger.

Thanks in advance.
BoilerUp

boiler1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:17 PM   #2

Iowa
I almost always use the semi lanes, way more room to maneuver in and out. Most of the pumps will take credit cards, some will require you to prepay inside at the fuel desk or leave your card with the attendant while you fuel. The car lane pumps are usually hard to get into and worse yet get out and away from and back on the road. Don't worry about the semis you have just as much right as they do at the pumps. After I fuel, as a courtesy, I will pull ahead so the next truck can get up to the pump or pull around to park in the lot if I want to go inside.

dougs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:31 PM   #3

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougs2 View Post
I almost always use the semi lanes, way more room to maneuver in and out. Most of the pumps will take credit cards, some will require you to prepay inside at the fuel desk or leave your card with the attendant while you fuel. The car lane pumps are usually hard to get into and worse yet get out and away from and back on the road. Don't worry about the semis you have just as much right as they do at the pumps. After I fuel, as a courtesy, I will pull ahead so the next truck can get up to the pump or pull around to park in the lot if I want to go inside.

Thanks. That is what I was hoping to hear. No doubt, I would immediately pull forward. Even with my small TT and old truck, I found it difficult to maneuver around the pumps. How do you like your F350? My new truck is a 2016 250.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:40 PM   #4

Oklahoma
I use the trucks lanes. Let them get pissed off, they don't mind sitting in a lane updating their log books or whatever it is they do.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:45 PM   #5

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler1959 View Post
Thanks. That is what I was hoping to hear. No doubt, I would immediately pull forward. Even with my small TT and old truck, I found it difficult to maneuver around the pumps. How do you like your F350? My new truck is a 2016 250.
Like it a lot. I had a 14 F250 Diesel I traded for the 350. Heavier suspension exhaust brake, always been a Ford guy.

What camper do you have?
dougs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:51 PM   #6

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougs2 View Post
Like it a lot. I had a 14 F250 Diesel I traded for the 350. Heavier suspension exhaust brake, always been a Ford guy.

What camper do you have?
Right now I have a small hybrid. We will be up sizing this winter/fall. It will still be much smaller than this truck will pull, but I like being well within my comfort zone. Looking at a 28 footer, one slide, bunk house floor plan. We also haul around a couple kayaks, bikes, assorted crap nobody really needs, but .....if we ever meet at a campground, I'm that guy that has what you might have left behind
Old 09-26-2016, 06:52 PM   #7

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
I use the trucks lanes. Let them get pissed off, they don't mind sitting in a lane updating their log books or whatever it is they do.
Thanks for the reply!
Old 09-26-2016, 06:59 PM   #8

Illinois
I use the truck lanes religiously. Too many stories of RV'ers hitting the poles by the pumps, other cars, etc. Like the previous poster said, just get in line and take your time. That's what RVing is all about anyway. Also, I've never had a semi driver get upset with me or rush me. Always courteous to me. Only hassle is sometimes you have to go in, pre-pay, then go back in when you're finished. Not too big a deal, as I usually hit the head or grab a coffee.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:00 PM   #9

California
Depends upon the station. I've used both.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:07 PM   #10

Arizona
It used to be a pain looking for a gas station that could handle a big-rig. Got real tired of it. Got a 91 gallon fuel tank in the bed now. I set up camp then go get fuel minus the trailer. It's usually cheaper because I don't have to fuel at the expensive dealers on the main roads.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:53 AM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
It used to be a pain looking for a gas station that could handle a big-rig. Got real tired of it. Got a 91 gallon fuel tank in the bed now. I set up camp then go get fuel minus the trailer. It's usually cheaper because I don't have to fuel at the expensive dealers on the main roads.
Rule 1, on re-fuelling is get away from the Interstates if you have to, I've found that there is a significate price difference just a short way from the Interstate. Usually a different direction than I am going, but for us that's all part of the journey through this life. You meet lots of wonderful people and find some of the neatest little cafes that showcase the local produce, meats and fish. You never know you might find a jam session happening.

Rule 2, maybe should be number one always do a slow driveby just to make sure. I've been there and done a , "where did that nice easy access and egress that I saw go?"

Rule 3, always use truck lanes or high volume stations or mom & pops with the diesel stored in above ground tanks. You want the freshest fuel you can find, above ground tanks are usually an after thought, so how old is that fuel and how much water is in that fuel.

Rule 4, when all else fails, read AZ's solution and execute.

Rule 5, get of the beaten path, explore local culture, traditions and food. Enjoy the wonderful world we live in.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:00 AM   #12

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post

We are up sizing soon, although nothing like what you have. Even with our current tiny camper, finding a station with enough room to pull through can be a challenge for me. Maybe it's because I work on a safety factor of X 4. Or maybe it's because I just suck at driving .
Thanks for the reply!
Old 09-27-2016, 11:03 AM   #13

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Rule 1, on re-fuelling is get away from the Interstates if you have to, I've found that there is a significate price difference just a short way from the Interstate. Usually a different direction than I am going, but for us that's all part of the journey through this life. You meet lots of wonderful people and find some of the neatest little cafes that showcase the local produce, meats and fish. You never know you might find a jam session happening.

Rule 2, maybe should be number one always do a slow driveby just to make sure. I've been there and done a , "where did that nice easy access and egress that I saw go?"

Rule 3, always use truck lanes or high volume stations or mom & pops with the diesel stored in above ground tanks. You want the freshest fuel you can find, above ground tanks are usually an after thought, so how old is that fuel and how much water is in that fuel.

Rule 4, when all else fails, read AZ's solution and execute.

Rule 5, get of the beaten path, explore local culture, traditions and food. Enjoy the wonderful world we live in.
Thanks! Even when staying close to home, we love exploring the back roads and local eateries. Our state (Indiana) has some great State Parks and National Forests. We've recently taken to seeking out small nature preserves to hike around.
Appreciate the advice!
Old 09-27-2016, 03:35 PM   #14

California
First thing to do when looking for diesel when out of town down load GasBuddy. It will show the lowest prices around you. Most every station I filled up this last vacation I had no problem using the island as most didn't have a truck island.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:15 PM   #15

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
First thing to do when looking for diesel when out of town down load GasBuddy. It will show the lowest prices around you. Most every station I filled up this last vacation I had no problem using the island as most didn't have a truck island.
I knew there was another rule, but I couldn't remember it.

Gas buddy is great, one of their analysts gives us regular updates on the radio news, as to what is happening and why in the fuel industry.

He gives us advance warnings on price increases and decreases, so that little free app is worth every penny you pay for it.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:39 AM   #16

New Jersey
Some Pilot/Flying Js have RV specific lanes. Those are nice. I won't use regular gas station lanes. If they are multi pump lanes, the RV blocks all the pumps on one side. The semi lanes are the only ones that have DEF. Newer diesel trucks need DEF, so I need to periodically top off. I've never gotten any flack from the semi drivers. Just pull forward when done fueling, that's what they do.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:10 AM   #17

Nevada
With my Truck and RV, we are around 60ft long, so when Traveling the freeways, I go to Pilot or Flying J, they have RV lanes…and I use the RV Plus Charge Cards, good discount up to 10 cents per gal off. When In the camp ground already, I use Gas Buddy and find the lowest price with just the Truck and if there is a Maverik Gas Station, I go there and use there Black Debit Card for a 6 cent per gal discount...

2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote