Cruise control? - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2018, 01:18 PM   #21
RPM

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
What kind of tow vehicle do you have? Welcome to the forum...
We have a 2018 Chevy 3500, and we just purchased a 2018 Dutchmen Endurance 3556

RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 02:00 PM   #22

Florida
You have exhaust braking on a 2018 3500?

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:59 PM   #23

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM View Post
I use cruise and the exhaust brake all the time.
Same here - my exhaust brake is on at all times, except when there is a chance for icy roads.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:14 PM   #24
RPM

Tennessee
Quote:
Yes we had one in a 2012 also
RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:42 PM   #25

Iowa
Quote:
My 2013 Ram has exhaust braking with two modes, the first mode activates the exhaust brake when ever you let off the accelerator, the second mode is called "auto" I use it the most, if traveling down a hill and you want to maintain say 45mph you just use the brakes to slow down to 45 and let off the brake and the exhaust brake will hold you at 45, turning it's self on and off to maintain that speed, works great in the hills or mountains.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:44 PM   #26

Ohio
I did expect I was opening a can of worms ... but there were many more yesses than nos, which surprised me!

I was afraid of using it for some reason. I might actually allow myself to use it occasionally now.

Thanks everyone for your input!!
PamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:41 PM   #27

Arizona
I've always towed with the cruise, you just can't fall asleep doing it
Yamaha YXZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:58 AM   #28

North Carolina
I only use cruise for brief periods on level ground. I have a gasser (5.3 GM, 4L60e). I don't want it trying too hard to maintain speeds in steep uphills. When it comes to climbing mountains I tell it what gear to be in. It likes the higher RPMs on mountain climbs.
falconbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:04 AM   #29

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconbrother View Post
I only use cruise for brief periods on level ground. I have a gasser (5.3 GM, 4L60e). I don't want it trying too hard to maintain speeds in steep uphills. When it comes to climbing mountains I tell it what gear to be in. It likes the higher RPMs on mountain climbs.
I'm not pulling a big rig like many of you; my old 2008 CruiserRV Xtra XT190 TT was only 6095 GVWR and the new TT, a Coleman 1805RB (I haven't taken delivery yet) is only around 7600 GVWR and I believe the tow to be much the same. My tow vehicle is a Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package (10,900 tow limit) with the 6.2L gas engine. My main gripe is the way the engine downshifts all the time to try and keep the speed constant, and 6 spd Automatic Trans. I may use cruise control on the flat, but you might say I drive to the grade, little faster going down (within reason) and a little slower going up. I also use manual shift on the downhill.

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:11 PM   #30

Florida
I agree with John_c. I pull 12K with a 6.2 Ford gas. Works great on flat roads. When it gets hilly, I control it. I also use the manual feature on steep downhill grades. BTW, the truck computer had me at 9.6 mpg for an 8000 mile trip. Not bad considering I chose not to pay $10K more for diesel. Tow limit on the 2013 F250 is 12,400. Bought the truck when we had a 10K load with 1500 on the pin. Present 5th is 2000 on the pin, so I added Firestone airbags. Lesson learned, go big or go home. In retrospect, I would have bought a F350 SW. Only difference in specs is more spring and hitch pin capacity. Motor, trans, tow cap are all the same. Love the Ford. 8' Crewcab won't fit in the garage is my only issue.
GGreGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:39 PM   #31

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGreGG View Post
I agree with John_c. I pull 12K with a 6.2 Ford gas. Works great on flat roads. When it gets hilly, I control it. I also use the manual feature on steep downhill grades. BTW, the truck computer had me at 9.6 mpg for an 8000 mile trip. Not bad considering I chose not to pay $10K more for diesel. Tow limit on the 2013 F250 is 12,400. Bought the truck when we had a 10K load with 1500 on the pin. Present 5th is 2000 on the pin, so I added Firestone airbags. Lesson learned, go big or go home. In retrospect, I would have bought a F350 SW. Only difference in specs is more spring and hitch pin capacity. Motor, trans, tow cap are all the same. Love the Ford. 8' Crewcab won't fit in the garage is my only issue.
Hi Greg,
I understand the TV length issue. I have to actually bump the wall with the front bumper and pull the hitch ball and receiver to close the garage door!! I was running back and forth daily to the hospital this last winter to visit my wife and allowed the truck battery to run down, I had to set up stop blocks so I could push the truck out and not let it roll into the street! I could then get the hood open and charge the battery; and I have the short bed... 5-1/2 footer. I do miss the garage I built on the old house in AZ, almost three car wide and 30 feet deep!

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:18 PM   #32

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
Hi Greg,
I understand the TV length issue. I have to actually bump the wall with the front bumper and pull the hitch ball and receiver to close the garage door!! I was running back and forth daily to the hospital this last winter to visit my wife and allowed the truck battery to run down, I had to set up stop blocks so I could push the truck out and not let it roll into the street! I could then get the hood open and charge the battery; and I have the short bed... 5-1/2 footer. I do miss the garage I built on the old house in AZ, almost three car wide and 30 feet deep!
My next vehicle won't fit in my garage ... this makes me sad.

I currently tow a small trailer with a minivan. My minivan is getting long in the tooth and I'll replace it next year, but want to think ahead to a possible trailer upgrade in a couple of years. Looking at something that will pull a 28' +/-, 7500# +/- (fully loaded) trailer, but still allow an easy access protected cargo area (I am a handmade products vendor that travels to fairs and festivals on weekends). Pick up trucks don't fit the bill very well, so I'm looking at a Nissan NV passenger van. Ugly as sin, but fits the bill with cargo and tow capacity ... but is 3" too tall to fit in my garage!
Old 07-23-2018, 07:27 PM   #33
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamW View Post
My next vehicle won't fit in my garage ... this makes me sad.

I currently tow a small trailer with a minivan. My minivan is getting long in the tooth and I'll replace it next year, but want to think ahead to a possible trailer upgrade in a couple of years. Looking at something that will pull a 28' +/-, 7500# +/- (fully loaded) trailer, but still allow an easy access protected cargo area (I am a handmade products vendor that travels to fairs and festivals on weekends). Pick up trucks don't fit the bill very well, so I'm looking at a Nissan NV passenger van. Ugly as sin, but fits the bill with cargo and tow capacity ... but is 3" too tall to fit in my garage!
That could be remedied...

What kind of garage do you have? Years ago we re-did the roof on a fella's garage and put cavity trusses in to raise the overhead. Pissed of the HOA too, but we didn't do anything to change the overall appearance of the house, other than making the garage door a bit taller. So they lost. They had been on his case about leaving his high top handicapped van parked on the driveway. Apparently they had a no vehicles outside rule of some sort.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:55 PM   #34

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
That could be remedied...

What kind of garage do you have? Years ago we re-did the roof on a fella's garage and put cavity trusses in to raise the overhead. Pissed of the HOA too, but we didn't do anything to change the overall appearance of the house, other than making the garage door a bit taller. So they lost. They had been on his case about leaving his high top handicapped van parked on the driveway. Apparently they had a no vehicles outside rule of some sort.

Aaron
Well ... I have a 2.5 car detached built just beside/behind my house, with a single width driveway entry. My current plan is to raze the building and build a new structure further back on my lot (only a 1/4 acre postage stamp, nothing fancy). Theory being that I can build a true 3 car garage and "scootch" it over so I can park my trailer next to it. (The trailer is parked at a storage facility currently). Zoning severely limits me by square footage (no more than 720 sq ft) and "covered property area" (whatever that means). And I'll have to consult with my favorite civil engineer to run turn radii to make sure I can physically get in and out of it once it's built!

All in all ... I'll probably be parking in the street!

I'm happy to live in a community that is old enough that it's free from HOA restrictions ... some can get downright stupid! I've heard of some where you can't leave your garage door open ... even when actively working/playing outside (like mowing the yard)!
Old 07-23-2018, 09:59 PM   #35

Mississippi
Guilty i use mine on the interstates
Giterwett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:33 PM   #36
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamW View Post
Well ... I have a 2.5 car detached built just beside/behind my house, with a single width driveway entry. My current plan is to raze the building and build a new structure further back on my lot (only a 1/4 acre postage stamp, nothing fancy). Theory being that I can build a true 3 car garage and "scootch" it over so I can park my trailer next to it. (The trailer is parked at a storage facility currently). Zoning severely limits me by square footage (no more than 720 sq ft) and "covered property area" (whatever that means). And I'll have to consult with my favorite civil engineer to run turn radii to make sure I can physically get in and out of it once it's built!

All in all ... I'll probably be parking in the street!

I'm happy to live in a community that is old enough that it's free from HOA restrictions ... some can get downright stupid! I've heard of some where you can't leave your garage door open ... even when actively working/playing outside (like mowing the yard)!
I am spoiled rotten
We have 40 acres on the back side of what was originally a 90 acre family farm, it has been parceled off over the years but is still owned by family members. We deliberately have kept our 40 agricultural so we can do just about anything we want. We tell the county we want to build a new barn, pay the fee based on value and they leave us alone. Closest thing I have to an HOA is my bride and MIL

To lay out your radii use a couple of hundred foot garden hoses to get a feel for what you can and can't get around, then mark it with marking paint. Hoses are easy to move around and if you run over one it isn't a big deal.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:36 PM   #37

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I am spoiled rotten
We have 40 acres on the back side of what was originally a 90 acre family farm, it has been parceled off over the years but is still owned by family members. We deliberately have kept our 40 agricultural so we can do just about anything we want. We tell the county we want to build a new barn, pay the fee based on value and they leave us alone. Closest thing I have to an HOA is my bride and MIL

To lay out your radii use a couple of hundred foot garden hoses to get a feel for what you can and can't get around, then mark it with marking paint. Hoses are easy to move around and if you run over one it isn't a big deal.

Aaron
I like the idea of hoses and such. I may even go to my local empty parking lot and mark out my planned driveway/pad in chalk and cones before paying a dime for the new structure. But until then there are fancy CAD lisp routines that can map out whether what I want is physically possible or not (not just tire path, but edge of vehicle box as well) before testing my skill behind the wheel!

For all the work that needs done on this house/property I would be better off moving ... but there will be no convincing the husband of that fact so I've determined that I just need to 'make do'!
Old 08-25-2018, 08:59 PM   #38

North Carolina
I too love my Diesel Ford F350 Dually. I do use cruise control except when going up or down mountains. My engine brake comes on automatic when I'm in Tow Haul mode. My Trailer is just under 6 thousand pounds. Truck tows so well sometimes I have to check my mirrors to see if the Trailer is still back there.

Best investment I ever made.

bbmfkp is offline   Reply With Quote