Convert 5th wheel hitch to gooseneck - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2016, 02:07 PM   #21

Montana
I would go with the Aluminum Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel connection. A co-worker recently found that using a gooseneck adapter on his 5th wheel cracked most of the welds on the pin box of his 5th wheel, and having used the gooseneck adapter it voided the warranty so he had to foot the repair bill out of pocket.

Another thing to consider is just leaving your 5th wheel hitch attached to the kingpin of your trailer. I do this when I am going to be unhooked for awhile or need to haul something that would require removing the hitch from my truck. Instead of disconnecting the trailer from the hitch, just pull the pins that connect the hitch to the bed rails and leave the hitch hanging off the kingpin.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:55 AM   #22

North Carolina
the new one came in... and i called reese. they said the 3970 was too heavy for the 4,000lbs max pin weight of the goosebox.

in the end i kept the air ride 5th wheel hitch that came with the camper and had a 30k reese put in my flat bed duramax truck.

hopkins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:56 AM   #23

North Carolina
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4246.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	2934
Old 03-01-2016, 10:40 AM   #24

North Carolina
already miss the easy hook up and NOT having a hitch in my truck... BUT THIS AIR RIDE HITCH IS UNBELIEVABLE ! WoW, what a total different ride ! only have 50 miles on it so far, but so far , so good.

first trip out on friday morning, ( unless i can sneak out early!) , headed to the Daytona supercross race, and bike week for the next 10 days.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:43 AM   #25

Florida
Goosebox and B&W Turnover

I appreciate all the information and help. Keystone, who bought Dutchmen, recommends using a Reese Goosebox. Though it was the more expensive route, I took it. Installed the B&W Turnover Ball and changed out the conventional 5th wheel pin box to a Reese Goosebox. Truck bed is fully useable. No heavy 5th wheel hitch to remove when bed is needed. Worth the extra money. Extremely happy with the outcome. Photo's attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Goosebox.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	2961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck with RV.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	2962  
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:25 AM   #26

Michigan
Keep an eye on the thin section of fiberglass to the lower left corner of your bedroom slide. My last 5th developed a crack in the body there as a result of the stress created by the gooseneck I had on mine. I loved it when I had it - same hitch you have, but I won't risk it again. Plus I have moved to a full size bed since then.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:30 PM   #27

Washington
Before you go to all the trouble/expense to convert to goose neck consider this: I originally planned to do the same thing, buy the B&W turnover ball and put an adapter on the pin box. But I really liked how easy it is to hitch with a FW hitch. Ended up buying the B&W companion and then I installed a hoist in my building so I could easily and quickly remove the companion. $100 hoist from Harbor Freight does the job very nicely and my back is no worse for wear! If you do decide to go with goose neck there are several ways to go that do not put extra stress on the trailer (some mentioned above); they are expensive though and IMO its more difficult to set down on that ball then to just back into the pin!
Old 01-05-2017, 03:19 AM   #28

Florida
Convert 5th wheel hitch to gooseneck

ANDERSON ULTIMATE 5th WHEEL HITCH!!

BAR NONE BEST HITCH EVER!.. zero noise, vibration, chunking or clunking!.. can be paired with any gooseneck ball. Only weighs 70 lbs or aluminum version 35lbs.. love love love mine especially for my MEGA CAB RAM .. can turn 90* no problem and thanks to the design all the weight is exactly where it should be. Takes 15 min initial install and 5 minutes to remove and install after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ANDERSON ULTIMATE FIFTH WHEEL CONECTION
Nate42379 is offline   Reply With Quote