Cargo balance or WDH for 214 Cub & Lincoln Navigator - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2017, 05:15 PM   #1

Arizona
Cargo balance or WDH for 214 Cub & Lincoln Navigator

So we had our first outing with our "new" 2007 Aerolite Cub behind our 2004 Lincoln Navigator.

I've spent about $90 on the conventional receiver & ball combo as the Navigator's receiver is at 20" while the trailer's tongue is about 13.5" so I needed ~6" drop. Most hitches in this range are rated for 5,000lb tow/500lb tongue. As the Aerolite has a GVWR of 4800 and a tongue weight assumed to be at least 10% of that, I wanted higher than 500lb tongue/5,000 tow capacity, and had to up to a 10k/1k receiver with a 7,500 ball, and buy a larger socket to attach and so on. With this combo the trailer is basically perfectly level. Navigator has air suspension so no "sag" at the rear.

Anyway, the Lincoln manual says you need WDH for 6,000lb or heavier trailer so I thought we'd be good to go.

Wanting to be responsible, I went through a CAT scale on the way home from our initial outing (<20 miles from home), and turns out we are within 10lb of our rear GAWR, and a little over 200lb below the GVWR for the Navigator. While the Navigator is built like a tank, the suspension seems just a bit under-rated given its 7,450 GVWR and curb weight of ~6,200lb (due to aforementioned tank-like construction presumably)

To be exact the CAT scale returned 4,120, vs GAWR of 4,128
7,220 GVW vs 7,450 GVWR

GCW of 11,260, vs GCWR of 14,500, so we're in good shape from that perspective.

So basically I need to unload the Navigator's rear axle a bit, and I have about 7-800 "spare" capacity on trailer axles. I see 2 options

1) move more cargo from Navigator to trailer, and load trailer as far rearward as possible
2) Go with a WDH setup.

1 is difficult since the main cargo area of the trailer is at the very front. Also, when weighed one of our propane tanks was fully empty, and the other, not empty but not full, so I'm going to add weight there.

So I'm leaning toward a WDH but already being $90 into my existing hitch/ball want to make sure to get good bang/buck.

Any specific recommendations? I did not have any issue with sway, but probably would want some sway control if I get a WDH.

Thoughts on these?
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...4-00-0800.html

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...s/PS49902.html

Both of these list a "maximum drop" that's not nearly enough for us.. seems strange?

mackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:20 PM   #2

Michigan
Either one of those should work for you and should work with the drop hitch you already bought. I personally like the pro series better, but that's because that is what I have always used and had very good results with them.
nickthehunter is offline   Reply With Quote