284BHSL - Need some towing feedback from seasoned RV'ers - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2017, 12:52 AM   #1

Washington
284BHSL - Need some towing feedback from seasoned RV'ers

We are very close to purchasing a travel trailer and on the top of our list is a 2018 284BHSL.
Dealer lists Dry Weight at 6,665# and a hitch weight of 702#. This TT is listed at 33' 10". (also very similar in size to 282DBHS)

Our current vehicle is a 2011 Lexus LX570. V8 5.7L. (similar to Toyota Landcruiser or Toyoty Sequoia)
Our 2011 has a 7,275# towing capacity. Here is our predicament...the 2010 LX570 has an 8,500# towing capacity. (We've also seen varying max hitch weight of 700 to 850)
In doing some research, we confirmed that there have been no changes in the manufacturing of the vehicle between 2010 and 2011 but that Toyota was an early adopter of the new SAE Towing Standards referred to as SAE J2807.

Hitch - our choice for hitch system would be the ProPride.
WD - our understanding is that a WD system would be able to shift as much as 40% of tongue weight off our tow vehicle.
Transmission Cooler - was a recommended installation by the RV dealer

I am figuring: cargo at 700#, hitch at 200# and a typical travel water at 170# would put us towing about 7,735#. (about 460# over)

Am I pushing this combo too far? Would appreciate hearing from experienced RV'ers, especially those who are hauling a similar trailer.

zpmccune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:11 AM   #2

Arizona
IMHO, you're asking for trouble towing so close to the capacity of the TV. Don't forget 50lbs per full propane tank, your six pack in the fridge. It all adds up. I tow a 291RESL with similar weights behind an f150 with an 11,700 tow capacity and I can't see towing anything heavier with it. You have absolutely no margin for error.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

radomcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:22 AM   #3

Arizona
Hit send too quick... ProPride is the way to go if you're under on your TV. It helps, but does not solve the basic weight issues. I'm sure others will chime in, but I'm dubious of the tongue weight claims. It sounds too light. Between the ProPride weight and propane tanks, that's 300lbs more tongue weight. Last q; have you ever towed something that big before? I didn't and was in for a rude awakening on the 3 hour trip home from the dealer. I thought I had my bases covered and I was terribly mistaken. Good luck.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:59 AM   #4

Washington
thanks radomcarl. that 291 you have is a nice rig.

so I hadn't figured the propane tanks at 100# but what you're saying is that even with a WD system, the propane, battery and hitch weight doesn't really transfer back much?
The 702# dry hitch weight comes right from the Aerolite brochure. I can call Aerolite tomorrow and confirm this is accurate.

So best case scenario the total weight of the TT would be 7,835#. Using the towing capacity of the 2010 model of our car, we'd be 665# under. We have a 2011 and they are now using the new SAE J2807 method and its now its 560# over.

Your final question - no, we are going to be first time TT owners. What were some of the issues you faced on your trip home from the dealer? Thanks again for your feedback...its super helpful.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:30 AM   #5

Arizona
Sitting in our rig as I write this. Porposing was our big issue. Suspension on the 150 was too soft, I suspect on an SUV, you'll have the same issue. Air bags helped, tinkering with the hitch helped, adding shocks to the Kodiak helped. Still have a sway issue which is why on this trip I decided on a ProPride and have already spoken to Sean there. Also why I'm dubious of manufactures tongue weight spec. A certified CAT scale is the only truth. The only way to tell is to get 3 weights.... TV only, TV and trailer with WD bars and TV and trailer without WD bars. I found out my 1000lb bars were too light for a manufacturer tongue weigh of 850 or so..... and i barely load the trailer. again id be very concerend with such a small margin or error for total tow weight and tongue weight. the last thing you want is a white knucle ride down i77 in WVa or planning your trips around roads youre concerned about driving.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:47 AM   #6

Arizona
As long as you never put any food, clothing, water, toiletries, cleaning supplies.........well, you get the idea, you will have the stated tongue weight. The minute you start adding stuff you are in trouble. BTW I don't believe that full tank of gas is accounted for either. 25 gallons of gas is around 150 pounds. I tow about 5500 pounds with a 1500 Silverado and I wouldn't want to try and tow the rig you are considering. Think about safety, your family's and mine.
RichH
Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:57 PM   #7

Arizona
RichH, well said and what I was trying to say without being as direct as you.... not just your safety but mine too. All of us who tow need to consider how our decisions effect others on the road.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:07 PM   #8

Washington
Thanks RichH for your post. This is why I joined this forum before making a purchase.
So to make sure I understand this correctly, the dry weight of your TT is about 4500# and you figure another 1000# for cargo, water, etc. Your total towing weight is 5500#. I don't know the specs on your Silverado but I'm guessing that your towing capacity is at least 7500#?
Our towing capacity of our 5.7L V8 was 8500# and the dry weight of the TT we're looking at is 6600#. Seems acceptable? Then in 2011, Toyota adopts SAE J2807 and must recalc our towing capacity to 7300#. Now the same TT is looking to heavy for us. (sigh...) So if I understand your point, your suggesting that we should be looking for a TT with a dry weight of 5300# or so. Yes? Thanks again for your shared experience.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:32 PM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpmccune View Post
Thanks RichH for your post. This is why I joined this forum before making a purchase.
So to make sure I understand this correctly, the dry weight of your TT is about 4500# and you figure another 1000# for cargo, water, etc. Your total towing weight is 5500#. I don't know the specs on your Silverado but I'm guessing that your towing capacity is at least 7500#?
Our towing capacity of our 5.7L V8 was 8500# and the dry weight of the TT we're looking at is 6600#. Seems acceptable? Then in 2011, Toyota adopts SAE J2807 and must recalc our towing capacity to 7300#. Now the same TT is looking to heavy for us. (sigh...) So if I understand your point, your suggesting that we should be looking for a TT with a dry weight of 5300# or so. Yes? Thanks again for your shared experience.
^^ this ^^
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:28 PM   #10

Arizona
Quote:
No problem, hope I have helped. My trailer dry weight is 4338 I put about 900-1000 into it and add 200 for things I don't know about or forgot as a safety measure. My tow capacity is ~9600 and my payload is 1850. Weight is only one factor. The ability to tow something as long as you want will, most likely, end up as the tail wagging the dog, which gets dangerous very quickly. It also makes the towing experience the very definition of white knuckle driving for you.
My opinion, and it isn't worth much, is you should be somewhere around 6000 wet and loaded and likely 30' or shorter. Your hitch choice is excellent and really shows you are doing the homework. It is refreshing. BTW don't forget a brake controller. I have the Prodigy P2 and I highly recommend it. Has all of the features I need and has been rock solid for three years. Ask away if there are more questions.
RichH
Old 09-22-2017, 08:31 PM   #11

Washington
Okay, that makes sense. It was feeling like we might be pushing it with our TV. We're actually looking at solutions for a improved TV but should that not come together, I think we'll need to look at stepping down in size to the 242BHSL (or similar size TT's. The other one we're looking at would be the Surveyor lineup)
Wet weight would be right around 6500# and is 28.5'. We are going to be weekend campers pretty much staying locally in the PacNW.
Thank you for the suggestion about the brake controller.
What do you think of the dealers suggestion of the transmission cooler? Needed?
Old 09-22-2017, 09:13 PM   #12

Arizona
Quote:
Okay, that makes sense. It was feeling like we might be pushing it with our TV. We're actually looking at solutions for a improved TV but should that not come together, I think we'll need to look at stepping down in size to the 242BHSL (or similar size TT's. The other one we're looking at would be the Surveyor lineup)
Wet weight would be right around 6500# and is 28.5'. We are going to be weekend campers pretty much staying locally in the PacNW.
Thank you for the suggestion about the brake controller.
What do you think of the dealers suggestion of the transmission cooler? Needed?
I wouldn't tow without a transmission cooler and temp gauge. If you do decide to upgrade the TV think very seriously about a 3/4 ton PU. That will be my next TV.
You new numbers look way more in line with your current TV and if you are content doing 60-65 mph should work well. Good luck and let us know how this ends.
RichH
Old 09-23-2017, 10:12 AM   #13
Site Team

North Carolina
I am fairly conservative when it comes to towing. When I shopped for towable RV's (currently in a medium sized motor home) I would find out what the maximum rated capacity of my tow vehicle was. Then take 75% of that, then look at the max GVW of what I wanted to tow. As long as the GVW was equal to or less than my 75% number I was good to go, if it was over by a little bit I would look closer at the numbers. Even with the SAE standards there is no easy answer. Also I don't trust manufacturer's brochure numbers, I use them as a guide line, then take it to the scales for verification.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:42 AM   #14

Florida
I went out and chose my RV then purchased a TITAN XD with the cummins engine.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:28 PM   #15

Florida
You need to get a bigger truck.

To much weight! Do not overload your payload (what the truck can carry, Gas, people, dogs, tongue weight, snacks, coolers, guns, ammunition etc...) Tow about 15% less than what the truck says you can tow. Get a anti-sway bar or maybe 2 on a long 30 foot+ trailer like that. Do not speed most travel trailers and tires are only rated to 65MPH!! I go 62MPH. You should be good to go if you do exactly as I have instructed you. You are welcome for my input.
masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:37 PM   #16

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I went out and chose my RV then purchased a TITAN XD with the cummins engine.
o, almost forgot, change the tires immediately!
Old 09-23-2017, 07:39 PM   #17

Texas
Crunch all the data and responses you received here and you'll still find out the real truth when you are barreling down the road at 60+mph with a combined length approaching 48 feet!!

I personally don't think you'll like the experience. And that'll override all the data crunching in a heartbeat.

SUV's have perfectly acceptable RV-towing candidates. But they are lighter and shorter than you might be happy with.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:26 PM   #18

Washington
After some additional searching we've found a TT that may work better for us. It's lighter with a dry weight of 5800# and much shorter at 29'. Typical load would put us under our 7300# tow limit.
Will be using ProPride hitch and adding transmissions cooler and suggested trailer brake. Would appreciate your comments, thanks.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:28 PM   #19

Texas
I could, but don't, pull 7300lbs with my F150.

It's not the 7300 that causes me to hitch the bigger (3/4) truck, its the tongue weight and length. I get the heebeegeebees from the tail wagging the dog sensation.

But I admit to being more cautious than most.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:32 PM   #20

Washington
Thanks for the feedback. I have heard constant rave reviews about the ProPride hitch and eliminating sway. Lots of recommendation to keep the length under 30'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
282bhsl, lexus