1st Test Run With New Camper - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Towing Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2017, 10:12 AM   #21

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Depends on your comfort level. I consider anything under 200,000 on a diesel reasonable as long as it has been taken care of.

Now the caveat, that would be on the older diesels like the 7.3 and the older Cummins. I am not a fan of the older Duramax, they were notorious for eating injectors at 100,000 miles intervals. The 6.0 engine that replaced the 7.3 PSD was a disaster and I would not purchase one, my Ford dealer techs tell you not to buy one either. The 6.4 and the 6.7 are better. If you buy used you are going to want to see service records for it. I would not buy one without them, unless they give me a really, really good deal. One issue IMHO with the newer diesels is the complexity of them to meet the emission standards. I would do a very thorough cost analysis of the number of miles you expect to drive against the costs of owning a diesel. FWIW my current motor home has the big Ford V10 in it and I am happy with the power to move that 13,000#+ beast down the road. I also have the 6 speed automatic and it is great so far.

Someone else will have to weigh in on the Cummins, I have never owned one, but have a couple of friends that do and swear by them.

Aaron

Love the Cummins. There is a reason most industrial applications as well as military applications use them. The ISB engine is the only commercially available diesel from the big three that hasn't undergone several redesigns to keep up with the others. Only increased displacement to make up for the power loss with the new DPF and catalyst systems. I have an '05 with 119k on it and it pulls like a beast. No cat converter, no codes. Love passing newer trucks while pulling the land yacht in the mountains on the way from Michigan to Darlington every year. Yes, the newer ones have the nice options, but I love not having to worry about emissions crap and I have added horsepower cheaply.

donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:34 PM   #22

Texas
Hey Barry, when it comes to diesels, 68,000 is brand new.

Aaron is dead on when talking about the horrible mess they have made with getting the latest diesel engines to pass emissions. The engines themselves are MARVELS! They are unbelievably powerful. I'm amazed at the torque increases recently. Stunning.

But the whole wonderful engineering to achieve that is BURIED in another mass of complexity.

Those older Pre-EGR trucks are old and tired, but are just the opposite in complexity. They're like school bus motors, or irrigation pump motors. Plain and very simple. THAT is the reason some of the die-hards choose to bring them back to life.

Also, while I totally agree with Aaron on the Ford 6.0 trucks, where we might disagree is that the actual problem that they had, that dealt a serious blow to Fords diesel reputation at the time, is completely addressable now.
I won't bore you with the details, unless requested, but it is their poor reputation that makes them a potential steal! They have terrible re-sale value.

I worked 2 of them hard! (They were never bad mouthed for their performance. They run really strong for their era) But I was terrified of the issues they had so I "fixed" both of them. Never had a problem. Not even a repair.
Cost about $2500-3000 to address their weakness. (Horribly designed oil cooler. It's failure would lead to pure havoc on that otherwise strong motor)

No matter what, good luck!!!

I've really enjoyed this thread. lol

2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:00 AM   #23

I have a F250 i use to pull my rig. You were wanting to know about gas vs diesel..I can tell you the diesel will pull that RV straight up a tree if you wish. The power is amazing compared to gas. The truck handles great, runs great and i have pulled our camper overloaded i'm sure, all through the mountains and have no problem pulling in the mountains. I regularly pass , on a 4 lane, other campers struggling to pull their rig with gas up the hills. I probably spend a little more on fuel since diesel tends to run a little more than gas but not enough difference to worry about. Maintenance is not bad. Its oil capacity is a little more and the filters a little more than gas or maybe double gas. All in all a very very powerful truck that rides good with all the bells and whistles that will last forever.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:18 PM   #24

Kentucky
Thanks to everyone for all the informative feedback. Definitely lots to consider when trying to decide between a gas or diesel truck.
BarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:09 PM   #25

Maryland
diesel vs gas I have 2016 f350 6.7 getting around 18 to 20 mpg not hooked up, my buddy has the same truck in gas he get 12 mpg. diesel a little more at the pump but it evens it self out, To pull a rv more power is better to have than not.
bill_covert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:29 PM   #26

South Carolina
I may have to show my wife this thread and admit that I made a mistake when we bought the 2015 Dodge gas 2500. And IF we move up, then we would be in the position to pull ANYTHING (muwhahahaha) that we have looked at in the last three years as far as our potential retirement villa on wheels.
Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:09 AM   #27

Kentucky
Been working on trying to make a deal on a new truck. Was texting with local dealer (Hopkinsville, Ky) and told him I could be there last Friday to test drive a vehicle he had and asked could he send me his contact information. Never heard back from him. Started working with a Crossville, Tennessee dealer only to find out I miss out on a $4000 discount because I do not own a 96 or newer ford then he tells me I get $2000 less of a current rebate due to I do not live in Tennessee. Makes no sense. Have money and want to spend it wisely but I get the normal run around. I am pretty sure the last time I missed a payment on anything was 25 years ago.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:43 PM   #28

Texas
Down here where I live the dealers are COMPETITIVE on trucks. Trucks are cars. Everybody has at least 2.

Anyways, because of that, shopping has gotten really easy because they keep raising the bar on each other (dealerships) and it has resulted in very aggressive internet pricing.

You already know what truck is in inventory, how it is equipped, (Window sticker is downloadable) and all the rebates and discounts. The floor salesmen HATE it. Too bad. lol

I've been buying from the same dealer for about 19 years. Very little negotiating required anymore. I just walk in with the inventory # of a couple of trucks and they bring them around for me to drive and look at.

try New Inventory - Ron Carter Ford - Alvin, Pearland TX

Then if you call, ask for Mike Owens and tell him that crazy Alvin Cowboy (Bruce) referred you. (I'm not trying to get any kind of reward from anyone. This is JUST so you can compare shop) This modern world has changed shopping so much.

By the way, it is very possible to get the truck for even less than the internet pricing if you play hardball. But I'm not against letting them make a profit. I've been treated very well even when I get oil changes. They act like they are happy I stopped by. Coffee, donuts, and they wash the truck!

Edit: I just looked and this is a terrible time to by a 2017 Diesel Ford!!!!
They have a few 2016's with some discounts, but not many to choose from.
New model, high demand. Nary a discount listed on the internet pricing.

Look at the F150's just to see what I am saying. Selling like hot-cakes down here and HUGELY discounted.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:43 AM   #29
Site Team

North Carolina
Try using TrueCar.com for comparison pricing. My wife used it when she bought her 2015 Ford Fusion. She walked in knowing Dealer Cost, Invoice Price, Kickbacks, Rebates along with pricing and inventory at competitive dealers within 100 miles. Walked out with a 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid at about $10,000 off posted retail.

When we buy a new vehicle we typically start at Dealer Cost and negotiate up to a point. When we buy we know exactly what we want and what we are willing to pay. We will walk if they start a BS routine or bait and switch. We are also unusual in that we typically buy a vehicle and keep it for many years. My bride used similar techniques when she purchased her 2003 F-150. She still has it; 14 years later and it has 248,000 miles on it. It is going in to have some work done to the seats and dash. It has gone into semi retirement, but is still a good solid truck and will be around for quite a few more years.

Good luck on your search!

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:12 PM   #30

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD View Post
I love the idea bringing an "older" truck back to like new condition and I am pretty sure I could do most if not all the work myself. Fixing things is what I do for a living. I am the guy at work that gets pulled out of his nice clean office job when machines are down hard or have not been performing well for an extended period of time and the maintenance group is struggling to resolve it. With that being said I do not have the time to get the truck to the condition I would be satisfied with in the time frame I would like for it to be done. Therefore I would have to purchase new or slightly used. But the prices of new or even used trucks is crazy. Found a 2015 F350 local for $48,000.00. Looks great but has 68,000 miles on it. Meeting with a local dealer Friday during my lunch break to see what they will give me for my Tundra and maybe take a test drive or two.

Awesome, let us know that outcome, I have the 2500 gas 6.4L Hemi and it meet my need but all gasser will have a higher rpm going up hill, but that's is what they do, that's how they make their power.Good luck and get back with us.

The 2500 6.4L it's not too bad on gas unloaded, I have gotten 16-17 mpg on the highway but towing it's goes down to 9-10 mpg, which I'm okay because I only tow about 3 to 4 time a year.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:53 AM   #31

North Carolina
Talking

Quote:
gas vs. diesel. I feel with the gas version you are going to still have the high RMP condition when going up hill as you do with the Tundra.
drop a gear and slow down to a high, yet acceptable rpm range. that goes gas and diesel. i always try and think about a mountain bike. you wouldn't climb a hill in top gear, and thats without 500lbs on your back
hopkins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:00 AM   #32

Tennessee
Tow my 2017 Kodiak 291RESL with 2014 Nissan Titan
Alls fine, sometimes shift down on steep hills. Would do that with any truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stan the man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:53 AM   #33

Kentucky
Everyone.
Thanks again for your informative feed back. We decided to go with a diesel F250. Went to look at a used 2016 yesterday. I had an agenda. Look at and test drive it. If I did not like something about it leave and go to lunch and continue the search. Did not get the chance to not like it. While looking it over the wife was not happy about something with the used one and asked the sales guy where are the new ones. Long story short we ended up with a 2017 F250 6.7L. I was already expecting a difference in power over the Tundra but WoW. Step on the gas and hang on. Should no longer be any concerns with power for towing our camper.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:39 PM   #34

Oklahoma
Or a building for that matter
Old 02-06-2017, 11:44 PM   #35
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTWags View Post
Or a building for that matter
In it, on it, or behind it... IT ARE going with it!

I have an older PSD 4x4, as long as I have traction and low range IT WILL move!

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:00 PM   #36

Florida
Quote:
Everyone.

Thanks again for your informative feed back. We decided to go with a diesel F250. Went to look at a used 2016 yesterday. I had an agenda. Look at and test drive it. If I did not like something about it leave and go to lunch and continue the search. Did not get the chance to not like it. While looking it over the wife was not happy about something with the used one and asked the sales guy where are the new ones. Long story short we ended up with a 2017 F250 6.7L. I was already expecting a difference in power over the Tundra but WoW. Step on the gas and hang on. Should no longer be any concerns with power for towing our camper.

Congrats!!!... welcome to smoking section... lol.. heck with all the emissions equipment on these new trucks you can't even hear them let alone smell them.

ANDERSON ULTIMATE FIFTH WHEEL CONECTION
Nate42379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:37 AM   #37

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate42379 View Post
Congrats!!!... welcome to smoking section... lol.. heck with all the emissions equipment on these new trucks you can't even hear them let alone smell them.

Thanks. My wife loves the sound of the new truck. First diesel so a lot for us to familiarize ourselves with.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:30 PM   #38

Texas
900+ lbs of torque with that one.

It'll pull your RV up a mountain with square tires!

Check mirrors often, cuz it isn't gonna transmit tow load to ya. Lol
Old 02-09-2017, 12:36 AM   #39

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
900+ lbs of torque with that one.

It'll pull your RV up a mountain with square tires!

Check mirrors often, cuz it isn't gonna transmit tow load to ya. Lol
I knew it would have more power than the Toyota but they are like night and day. No comparison.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:29 PM   #40

Kentucky
Will be working on my set up with the new truck tomorrow along with a test run.