1600 mile trip in the GA mountains - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2016, 03:13 PM   #1

Florida
1600 mile trip in the GA mountains

Hi!! to all the forum newbies and the senior members. I just got back from our trip safe and sound. I run a 2016 Chevy 1500 5.7L full tow package, Leer capper and a bed slide. I Carry a 80 pound generator and other stuff. I do not not overloaded the payload of the truck. Rated to tow 9700 pounds. Trailer is a 2010 Dutchman Kodiak 24RBS. Total weight around 6700 pounds full. I do not have a weight distribution anti sway hitch. The rig ran perfect no sway, no bounce, no problem at all. I cruise at 62 MPH and go up to 65 MPH to pass. I will not go faster than 65 MPH! I saw 9 blow outs on trailers and 5th wheels on the trip all passed me going at 70+!! 5 to 10 miles down the road BLOW OUT!! Luckily no one appeared to have been hurt. Iam glad I listened to a seasoned camper when he told me I did not need a $500.00 WDH!! I have since spent that money on the Champion 3100 RV generator!! It was soooo nice to have lunch and take a nap in the trailer at a rest stop with the AC on full and we even watched the 12:00 news on TV!!!! Outside Temp was 100+ We could not tell until we opened the door!! I saw alot of ultra lights being towed by big Ford and Chevy 250, 2500. They all had WDH. Every time they pulled in to unhitch it took them a lot of extra effort to unhook all those Greasier heavy WDH. The RV dealers sure make alot of extra $$ on these things!! GOOD FOR THEM!!! Tow with in your limit do not overload your payload or trailer, Check you tire pressure and DO NOT go over 65 MPH that is what the old timers told me. I took the advice and it worked out great for me. Over and Out!!

masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:42 PM   #2

Texas
Good to hear that you are happy with the results.

I too have a half-ton modern truck with more than enough power and tow capacity for my Aerolite 213RBSL. But with the WD hitch, it tows even better!
In my opinion, worth every penny and the additional effort.

Having said that, I still won't use the 1/2 ton for anything farther than a few hours from home. I'll hitch to the bigger truck and enjoy the additional margin of error. (I'm blessed to have that choice, I realize)

Full disclosure: I haven't traveled with the TT for any long distance yet. But I will do as I say if\when I do.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote