Atwood Furnace Problem - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Thor and Dutchmen Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2018, 01:28 AM   #1

Massachusetts
Atwood Furnace Problem

Hi,
My 2004 Dutchman motorhome Atwood furnace model 8500-IV, 8531 starts then runs normally for 3 to 4 minutes then the burner shuts down and the fan continues to run. The burner restarts after about a minute and the same events continue. Diagnostic LED on the circuit board flashes once every 3 seconds, and according to my manual it is a Limit Switch/Airflow Problem. Replaced the limit switch and found/corrected a crushed hose but the problem continues. Inspected the heat exchanger while I had the furnace removed, and don't suspect the Sail Switch as the furnace starts normally. Anyone ever experience before and corrected it? I'm out of solutions and reaching out. Thanks in advance kids

4000foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:33 AM   #2

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4000foot View Post
Hi,
My 2004 Dutchman motorhome Atwood furnace model 8500-IV, 8531 starts then runs normally for 3 to 4 minutes then the burner shuts down and the fan continues to run. The burner restarts after about a minute and the same events continue. Diagnostic LED on the circuit board flashes once every 3 seconds, and according to my manual it is a Limit Switch/Airflow Problem. Replaced the limit switch and found/corrected a crushed hose but the problem continues. Inspected the heat exchanger while I had the furnace removed, and don't suspect the Sail Switch as the furnace starts normally. Anyone ever experience before and corrected it? I'm out of solutions and reaching out. Thanks in advance kids
Dirt Dobbers LOVE the smell of propane and like to build nests inside the mixing tube. Check in there to see if you have an uninvited guest.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:15 PM   #3

Michigan
Your furnace is likely cycling the limit switch. My same furnace on my 2015 Kodiak did the same thing. I spent almost two years trying to explain to my local, selling RV dealer what was happening. He just wouldn't listen. He knew better. It was obviously over-firing, or had a hot spot near the burner that caused it to shut the burner down repeatedly until the blower cooled things down again. Annoying and could be dangerous. My dealer finally got tired of trying to fix it his way and got mad at ME because of his frustrations. He screamed at me and had me take the rig off of his lot, and told me to find someone smarter than him to fix it (not hard). I was always nice to him because I know his staff and family, so couldn't understand his meltdowns. He screamed at the factory, and ultimately lost his franchises (can't sell ANY new rigs - only used rigs on consignment and some general service). Atwood called me the day after I brought my rig home, and actually sent a tech from the factory to my house the next day - couple hundred miles. Atwood said my dealer wouldn't or couldn't tell them what the problem was, so they declined warranty payment. The factory tech was awesome, listened to my analysis, agreed, checked it, and replaced the (still under warranty) furnace with a new unit in less than an hour. He said they had issues with that model and upgraded it - and said the dealer should have know that. You might want to contact Atwood directly or work with a good dealer. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:31 PM   #4

Massachusetts
Thanks Craig.. Good to know. It's a 2004.. Attwood service recommended changing the limit switch and then they recommended replacing the circuit board.. No luck with the switch which was a bugger to access and the board is in the mail.. I'll let you know how I make out.
4000foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:53 PM   #5

Michigan
Good luck. I hope the board solves the problem. One more thing the Atwood technician mentioned was a problem they had with the factory installation process. He showed me how, where the gas line connects to the burner assembly, the coupler nut can be torqued to the point where the burner assembly is actually bent or twisted a bit in the furnace wall, resulting in the burner being at an angle inside the furnace, causing a hotspots on the side of the chamber. The new design prevents this occurrence somewhat.