93 Dutchman Chevrolet Motorhome - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Thor and Dutchmen Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2016, 06:20 PM   #1

British Columbia
93 Dutchman Chevrolet Motorhome

Hi,

I am considering purchasing a 93 Dutchman / Chevrolet large cab 454 class c motor home. It is a 29' I believe as its total length is 33 feet. My question is who made this style back in 93? I have mixed reviews online , some say Thor, some say 4 Winds and some say Dutchman? I am getting it from the U.S. and importing to Canada. Also is there any experience with this unit out there for any common issues or problems with these types? The Ford 460 is much more common than this one.

Rob63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:19 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Hi Rob,
If it is a 1993 Dutchmen it was built by Fourwinds, which is a subsidiary of Thor. It will have been built at a Fourwinds factory and badged as Dutchmen. Thor owns both companies and has since around 1991/92 or a so.

Nothing wrong with the Chevy chassis of that era, the 454 is a common motor for the motorhome chassis, as the 460 is for the Ford.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:05 PM   #3

British Columbia
Thanks very much for your response, it makes sense and more than i could find online.
Rob63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:06 PM   #4

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob63 View Post
Hi,

I am considering purchasing a 93 Dutchman / Chevrolet large cab 454 class c motor home. It is a 29' I believe as its total length is 33 feet. My question is who made this style back in 93? I have mixed reviews online , some say Thor, some say 4 Winds and some say Dutchman? I am getting it from the U.S. and importing to Canada. Also is there any experience with this unit out there for any common issues or problems with these types? The Ford 460 is much more common than this one.
Hey, neighbor. Welcome to the forum.

According to information I have Thor acquired Dutchmen in 1991 and Four Winds in 1992.

If your importing it from the US, you got a bunch of hoops to jump through. Check out the process here. Registrar of Imported Vehicles - Importing a Vehicle

It would have to be an unbelievably good deal for me to go through the process. Take a look on Kiijjii or Kamloops this week, the has been a few Class C listed this spring, may be something suitable for you with out the hassles of importing it.

What ever you decide, invest in a pinless moisture meter and go over every inch looking for hidden water damage. You don't want to take on something that may be beyond it's best before date.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote