Maintenance Procedure - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2019, 07:39 PM   #1

Missouri
Maintenance Procedure

I am curious as to what the maintenance procedure is for an old camper, I just bought a 1991 Dutchmen. I also wonder how to ensure that everything is up to par, without tearing the whole camper apart?? Thanks!!

BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:43 PM   #2

Florida
As you know from another post, leaks are your enemy. Inspect and reseal all areas on the roof.
Some folks carry a moister meter to check interior walls.

Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:03 AM   #3

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS View Post
I am curious as to what the maintenance procedure is for an old camper, I just bought a 1991 Dutchmen. I also wonder how to ensure that everything is up to par, without tearing the whole camper apart?? Thanks!!
Look into Eternabond, this will help.

I’m new too. I’ve been told with any used camper, you need to go through every system and ensure it’s working O.K. Since you already know it’s his you have a good head start. So if the tires are recent and good, and bearings were repacked, you can cross these off the list and move on.

I divided up the systems between safety and comfort,and prioritize the safety issues first like tires, bearings, brakes, hitches, propane, etc..then I work on the comfort like fixing a hot water heater or changing to led lights.

The forums and YouTube are your friend, but always get information from more than one source. Lots of opinions out there.

I hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!
Drinks of choice: any great bourbon-San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:29 AM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Here is a link to a pre-delivery checklist. Use this to keep on track as you go. Make a list of all your major appliances; make, model and serial number. Manuals are available online for a lot of them.

Roof, windows, and penetrations are the first place to spend your time. Water intrusion will kill an RV in very short order.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:39 AM   #5

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Here is a link to a pre-delivery checklist. Use this to keep on track as you go. Make a list of all your major appliances; make, model and serial number. Manuals are available online for a lot of them.

Roof, windows, and penetrations are the first place to spend your time. Water intrusion will kill an RV in very short order.

Aaron
Great checklist!! Is there a good place to get replacement parts for these older campers ??
Old 03-25-2019, 05:38 PM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Great checklist!! Is there a good place to get replacement parts for these older campers ??

etrailer.com
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:36 PM   #7

Illinois
Quote:

Here's the fun part, most RV parts are the same. Roof vents use different types, but for the most part are easily identifiable, and are listed with before and after dates.

Refer parts are pretty much standard, and easily replaceable as there are only a few brands.

The difficult items are windows, and interior/exterior panels exclusive to the model and not easily found.

At least for most, there is a standard found for certain items, like roof vents using a 14x14 opening, same for the AC. Most everything else can be fabricated from basic materials and tools.

Oh forgot to mention, Google is the best way to find parts and suppliers and price shop. Amazon has been my go to for a lot of items as well.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:09 AM   #8

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
Here's the fun part, most RV parts are the same. Roof vents use different types, but for the most part are easily identifiable, and are listed with before and after dates.

Refer parts are pretty much standard, and easily replaceable as there are only a few brands.

The difficult items are windows, and interior/exterior panels exclusive to the model and not easily found.

At least for most, there is a standard found for certain items, like roof vents using a 14x14 opening, same for the AC. Most everything else can be fabricated from basic materials and tools.

Oh forgot to mention, Google is the best way to find parts and suppliers and price shop. Amazon has been my go to for a lot of items as well.
X 2, I agree with this. What I’ve found is that For General RV stuff, Walmart and Amazon. For stuff specifically for my RV, Amazon,Home Depot and camping world (be a good sam member to get the best deals). Not disagreeing with eTrailer and others, I just haven’t found good deals there.

Let me explain Home Depot. Yes, many parts are the same or interchangeable. But...Although there are a few places to get cabinetry, if you are lucky to find what you need, it can be expensive. So most interior pieces that are not appliances or furniture will have to be crafted.

Research is done in all the old favorites: forums, google, YouTube, at campgrounds, and actually getting out there and experiencing towing, maneuvers and camping in your unit.

Have fun!
Drinks of choice: any great bourbon-San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 01:28 AM   #9

Missouri
Thanks for the replies guys!! I have started tearing into the old camper, as I identified major water damage...