Happi-Jack - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2015, 11:30 PM   #1

Illinois
Happi-Jack

Okay, what's the secret with the Happi-Jack? The lower bunk/seating goes up and down with no problem. Top queen bed didn't move. With some help, I pulled the four pins (one in each corner) and slowly let the bed drop to it's "stop" position. Then when I raised the lower bunk/seating up to the ceiling they both went to the ceiling, which was fine. However, what if I want to use the seating to eat or entertain and not drop the queen bed? Do I have to get help and manually raise the queen bed to the ceiling in replace the pins? It's a two person job, so I know I must be doing something wrong. Appreciate some instruction. Thanks,
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:49 PM   #2

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Okay, what's the secret with the Happi-Jack? The lower bunk/seating goes up and down with no problem. Top queen bed didn't move. With some help, I pulled the four pins (one in each corner) and slowly let the bed drop to it's "stop" position. Then when I raised the lower bunk/seating up to the ceiling they both went to the ceiling, which was fine. However, what if I want to use the seating to eat or entertain and not drop the queen bed? Do I have to get help and manually raise the queen bed to the ceiling in replace the pins? It's a two person job, so I know I must be doing something wrong. Appreciate some instruction. Thanks,
Rusty
Pull the pins before you lower the bottom bunk. As you lower them both, the top bunk will stop at its "stop" position and the bottom will keep going. To lift it, just hit the up button and when the lower one gets to the upper bunk, it will carry it up. In other words, you use the lower bunk to move the top one.

2012 EZ-GO 2FIVE LSV 2014 Gem E4 LSV
3wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:12 AM   #3

Illinois
Got it. So if I want to use the dinette seating, I have to put the pins back in and then lower? Guessing I have to lower the ramp to reach the back ones.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:17 AM   #4

Tennessee
Quote:
Got it. So if I want to use the dinette seating, I have to put the pins back in and then lower? Guessing I have to lower the ramp to reach the back ones.
Yes, that is correct. I'm not sure about your 3990, but I have room to get to my pins with the ramp up. My problem is I'm too short to reach them. I use a step stool.
2012 EZ-GO 2FIVE LSV 2014 Gem E4 LSV
3wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:40 AM   #5

Illinois
Okay, thanks. Thought there was a "secret switch" or something. I won't be lowering the top bed much anyway. Appreciate your help.
Rusty
Old 04-26-2015, 01:07 AM   #6

Arizona
Quote:
The dinette seating raises and lowers the bunk. The pins should hold the bunk at the highest position.

With the pins removed the bunk should not go so low that you can not use the dinette seating. If you look inside the four channels there should be a line of 8 screw holes with a gold colored metal stop attached. The screw holes start at about 4 1/2 foot and stop around 5 foot.

My voltage was set up with the stop tabs on the bottom 2 screw holes. That was a bit low to comfortably get into the dinette. I moved the four tabs to the top set of holes and it is much better now.

The screw holes are (best way I can explain) raised. So that when the tab goes on the raised portion of the screw hole extend into the tab for strength. If you have the same set up, and you should, and you decide to change the height of your bunk. Be careful not to strip the screw heads (I think they are square drive) when removing the screws. Perhaps have a stick magnet and decent light in the garage when doing this. If you are anything like me you will drop at least one of the screws.

You will be doing this with the bunk pinned in the high position.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:14 AM   #7

Arizona
One other thought about bunk height. If you have a garage air conditioner, it works much better if that bunk is not all the way up. The bunk blocks a large amount a the air flow.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:56 PM   #8

Colorado
I have no problems with the happi-jack system raising and lowering.

But could I get a couple of responses on how long the legs, on the bottom of the dinette seats are supposed to be.

Our Voltage Epic 3800 has legs of a couple of lengths, and if I put them all down...the benches are so high my feet dangle...

I want to cut them all to one, correct, length.

Thanks,

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:01 PM   #9

Illinois
15 and 11/16th inches from the bottom of the seating area to the bottom of the plastic end cap on the leg. FWIW, my legs on my unit are adjustable with the typical push plug and several inch increments to adjust the height.
Rusty
Old 04-26-2015, 02:50 PM   #10

Colorado
I'll have to check that. Ours have the push button and use that to fold up out of the way.

Not sure they are variable height.

Could you give me the length of just the 1" square steel tube section of the legs?

Thanks,

Pirate
Old 04-26-2015, 04:58 PM   #11

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
I have no problems with the happi-jack system raising and lowering.

But could I get a couple of responses on how long the legs, on the bottom of the dinette seats are supposed to be.

Our Voltage Epic 3800 has legs of a couple of lengths, and if I put them all down...the benches are so high my feet dangle...

I want to cut them all to one, correct, length.

Thanks,

Pirate
I don't know how much weight you sit at your dinette. I always hated the fold down legs. Mine were in storage within a week. I have never had a problem with sagging of the benches wether sitting or sleeping at the dinette.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:04 PM   #12

Illinois
Metal leg is 15". Plastic cap is 1/8". I was partially in error. The push button is to fold the leg, but mine are still adjustable height wise with two bolts in each leg, with the leg having multiple adjustment holes. Hope this helps.
Rusty
Old 04-27-2015, 01:49 AM   #13

Colorado
Don't have that much weight on the benches...me on one side and wife, er BOSS, on the other. Have used the dinette without the legs down. Just thought perhaps it would be best to do so.

Thanks for the 15" measurement! I'd say I was going to check ours tomorrow...but here in Southern Colorado we've gotten 1.65 inches of rain since 7AM, its supposed to keep it up until early tomorrow morning...which means all the roads on the place...all road base gravel roads...are going to be so soft I'll sink a few inches. We park the Voltage in a several acre "creek side trailer park" that's leveled and covered with a couple inches of road base...but it will be soooo...soft. Maybe by Thursday!!

Pirate