Dutchmen won't fix manufacturing flaw - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Interior and Living
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2016, 08:30 PM   #1

Minnesota
Dutchmen won't fix manufacturing flaw

We bought a 2014 Voltage v3005 FW toy hauler new in 2015. Everything has been great until now, after the warranty has expired. the leading edge of the carpet in front of the couch is unraveling where it was sewn in the factory. Photos were sent to Dutchmen by the dealer, who agrees that it's a manufacturing flaw. Dutchmen has basically told me to pound sand. I'm still waiting for a return phone call from someone higher up, but I'm expecting the same response. We're planning to upgrade to a new FW within the next year and, due to this issue, we're pretty sure that Dutchmen will NOT get our business. If they won't stand behind their product, I will never give them any more of my money.

gw7674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:36 PM   #2

Texas
While I completely agree with your sentiment, I have become increasingly convinced that you can expect the same result from the vast majority of FW manufacturers.

It could be said that your situation is an industry standard.

2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:22 PM   #3

Ontario
Sad to say but Snakebitten is correct, until legislation forces the RV industry to built to a industry standard, these type of things will continue to happen. Something along the lines of a home building code needs to be brought in to control the RV manufacturing process.

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 CTD
2011 Dutchmen Denali 262 RLX
drogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:11 AM   #4

Colorado
Ya know, the only thing that seems to be well built these days is pickup trucks. We have three and have had very little problem with any of them. And what problems we have had...were all covered by warranty.

But just about everything else takes work to figure out the issue and just go ahead and fix it.

The 2014 Voltage, the 2009 Polaris RZR, the 2106 Polaris General, the PuroMax reverse osmosis system, the low voltage lighting transformer, the Windows 10 PCs...you name it. I've figured out how to fix it!!

Just seems to be part of life these days, and accepting that makes life better...

So it goes!

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:44 AM   #5

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
While I completely agree with your sentiment, I have become increasingly convinced that you can expect the same result from the vast majority of FW manufacturers.

It could be said that your situation is an industry standard.
How true!
I often say the problem we consumers face with the RV industry is thier powerful lobbist and our law makers. Have you every looked at your state's ( providence) lemon law for RVs? Here in Florida, it offers zero consumer protection/recourse because it specificly states excludes any portion of the vehicle considered as living quarters. What the hell is an rv other than living quarters???

OP, I feel your pain with the lack of quality, I had over 90 issues with my 3950 in 14 months of ownership, that is why I now own a Tiffin MH.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 02:04 AM   #6

Florida
As stated most of the manufacturers (and dealers too) only care about making the sale. There is no QA inspection and contacting the manufacturer is a big waste of time. However most of us get used to doing our own repairs and usually get a better job than a dealer will do anyway.