DISH pay as you use satelite - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Interior and Living
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2015, 05:39 PM   #1

Iowa
DISH pay as you use satelite

Has anyone used the DISH Satelite system where you pay only for usage? We are not full timers but take extended trips and want better entertainment options.

Abbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:22 PM   #2

Illinois
Have the Dish Pay as you Go receivers but since we are in and out sporadically and will full-time it during the winter, it was just easier for us to pay an additional $7 a box per month and have them on line all year.
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:51 PM   #3

Texas
Abbie, You didn't get a lot of kick back on your Dish thread, so I'm gonna give you my Forrest Gump: That's all I have to say about that.

I have Direct SD TV tied to my residential account, if you have a satellite provider at home that would be the 1st option because then you can grab a receiver from the house and just have the extra cost of a satellite antenna.

Dish is pay as you go by the month, but Direct will let you suspend service in the off season.

I can certainly recommend Dish, as I have several friends that use their service. The good thing about Dish is you can get HD programming off a basic Tailgator antenna that you can find @ Camping World for $299. To get Direct HD you need an expensive Trav'ler antenna. You can rent the receiver for $5 a month, if you buy a $99 receiver the contract says it belongs to the provider once you hook it up. I bought mine to get one with a coax port that is easy to hook up to your camper. With a coax port I can feed my Over the Air antenna through the satellite box and watch satellite or OTA on any or all TVs at the same time. Most of the ones you rent have an HDMI output that is easy to hook directly to the main TV, but difficult to hook to the camper where you can watch it on all the TVs.

Most antennas have 2 coax ports, so if you have 2 receivers you can watch two different channels on two different TVs. With Direct all the channels are on one satellite. With Dish the channels are grouped on different satellites so you can only watch two of the same channels from the same satellite at the same time. With a Trav'ler antenna and multiple receivers you can watch several different channels at the same time. I think this is also an option with the Genie receivers.

The portable Dish antennas are powered through the coax. With the Direct portable antennas you need a 12V power source like a battery jumper box to aim the satellite. I would recommend against trying to save a few bucks with a tri pod antenna or even a semi automatic antenna, sometimes they can be very difficult to aim.

A Winegard Carryout G2 @ $400 is probably the best affordable option, it's portable like the Tailgator if you need to set it out beyond the trees or there is an adapter that lets you mount it to the roof.

When you travel away from home you will not be able to receive the network channels (ABC,CBS, NBC, FOX) unless you call each time. With Direct I pay $15 a month extra for Remote Network Access and you can choose between the East (NYC) or West (LA) coast feeds.

Here is my entertainment nirvana... Tailgating Texas Tech football in the parking lot, watching the Longhorn satellite network on the outside TV, a SEC game on satellite in the den, and a PAC 12 game OTA in the garage. With the East coast satellite feed I can watch an SEC game on CBS and pick up the West coast CBS PAC 12 game OTA at the same time.

I hope now you'll get some feedback, as several others on the forum have tackled the entertainment options in many different ways, and may disagree.

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:05 PM   #4

Maryland
Mike,

I am jealous of your auto antenna...

Abbie,

When we first started carrying the DirecTV satellite in the RV, we used an SD setup. Worked great for us, pulled it from the house and had a signal in about 5 minutes (on a tripod...).

Fast forward, we now fulltime and use DirecTV HD with a full wireless Genie System. We have to use a SWM dish, and now it takes me anywhere from 15-30 minutes to get everything dialed in. On the plus side, I have DirecTV to 5 TVs and besides the main TV, they are all wireless.

I have found DirecTV easy to work with, when we venture too far from our viewing area, I call to provide the RV Park Address we are at and I have local channels before I hang up...pretty snazzy.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish, satelite, television