Bed weight limit - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Interior and Living
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2014, 02:23 PM   #1

Illinois
Bed weight limit

Does anyone know the weight limit for the bunk beds in a 2014 aerolite 282dbhs? Sticker says 150 lbs. I think it's the same in the 2013 also. Can you have more than that safely? Has anyone put more on these?

aerojoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:40 PM   #2

Delaware
The sticker on my bunks says 300lbs each and I have been on it (a very slimming 235).

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:16 PM   #3

Oklahoma
Mine also says 300 lbs.
Plapper2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:28 PM   #4

Illinois
thanks for the info, friend. I only ask because the sticker on ours says 150 lbs.... we thought it was wrong.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #5

Illinois
Thanks, the " sticker putter on guy" must of gotten mixed up. Ours says 150 lbs
Old 05-08-2014, 04:35 AM   #6

Texas
Wink

Ours also say 300 lbs on both bunks. We all climbed together on the bottom bunk at the dealer (2 adults, 2 kids, 400lbs total) and it was fine! That's when we saw the sticker!
Round Rock, TX
TheBonillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:06 AM   #7

Ontario
My 2015 bunks say 150lbs as well. I called the manufacturer and they said nope, 300lbs. I told them about the sticker, they were quite confused. Put me on hold for a few minutes and said OK go with the 150lbs! I don't think they even know the right answer to the question.

I would love it if they held more as I have a teen son and daughter that are getting up there in weight. My 2 little ones are a nonissue yet anyways.
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:21 AM   #8

New York
I had been looking at campers a month ago or so, I had this very discussion with the salesman. He showed us the difference between the 150pounder and the 300pounder bunks. There is a difference in the construction of the two. Visually we saw one used flake board as the base and one used plywood. The framing and brackets holding the bunks up were different in construction as well. It all boils down to the way they were made and the materials. We were particularly looking at the difference with the light duty fold down bunk and the heavier duty fold down bunk, major difference in construction. One example of the difference was the way the fold down bunks were held in place in the down position. The 150 had the slide latches, the 300 had support rails. We looked at so many of them, if it is labeled 150, it is probably exactly that.
mictin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:41 AM   #9

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mictin2 View Post
I had been looking at campers a month ago or so, I had this very discussion with the salesman. He showed us the difference between the 150pounder and the 300pounder bunks. There is a difference in the construction of the two. Visually we saw one used flake board as the base and one used plywood. The framing and brackets holding the bunks up were different in construction as well. It all boils down to the way they were made and the materials. We were particularly looking at the difference with the light duty fold down bunk and the heavier duty fold down bunk, major difference in construction. One example of the difference was the way the fold down bunks were held in place in the down position. The 150 had the slide latches, the 300 had support rails. We looked at so many of them, if it is labeled 150, it is probably exactly that.
They manufactured two versions within the same production year..thats odd. If I knew there was a choice, I would have looked for the 300lb version.

Customer service couldn't even answer the question, your sales guys was quite knowledgeable I would say
Old 07-25-2014, 02:29 AM   #10

New York
Yeh, he spent a few hours on a cool Saturday morning walking through a lot of campers, he did have a good knowledge of things and shared a lot of info with us, including showing us his dream camper at a whopping 220k. The difference in the bunks was the package that the camper was built with. The 300 lb bunks came with a higher end package, he explained that it created options, spend a little more or a little less depending on preference. I would guess that the bunks would hold more than 150, but they have to label it within a safe limit. Strange customer service was so confused. Happy Camping!
mictin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:32 AM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASABI View Post
They manufactured two versions within the same production year..thats odd. If I knew there was a choice, I would have looked for the 300lb version.

Customer service couldn't even answer the question, your sales guys was quite knowledgeable I would say
It's probably more cost effective to upgrade the beds to plywood yourself, than pay the factory to do it.

That was one of the first mods I did on our bed. Some genius figured that MDF, not OSB, would hold someone 200#s when they sit on the edge to put on their socks. It actually last two whole days.

I happened to find a sheet of 3/4" plywood on sale for $25, they cut it for me for free and I now have a bed base that goes right to the bottom of our residential queen mattress.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:07 PM   #12

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
It's probably more cost effective to upgrade the beds to plywood yourself, than pay the factory to do it.

That was one of the first mods I did on our bed. Some genius figured that MDF, not OSB, would hold someone 200#s when they sit on the edge to put on their socks. It actually last two whole days.

I happened to find a sheet of 3/4" plywood on sale for $25, they cut it for me for free and I now have a bed base that goes right to the bottom of our residential queen mattress.
wait!! Are you saying if I swap out the existing base of the bunkbeds to plywood, the weight increases!!! I am not looking for 300lbs but even 200 would be great. I thought it might have to do with the tracks, never even thought the base material o.O
Old 07-25-2014, 03:36 PM   #13

British Columbia
Quote:
wait!! Are you saying if I swap out the existing base of the bunkbeds to plywood, the weight increases!!! I am not looking for 300lbs but even 200 would be great. I thought it might have to do with the tracks, never even thought the base material o.O
I can't see the tracks and I don't have a BH, you may have to beef the tracks up a little. But the type a base used is going to play a fairly big part in the strength for the bed. Sure was in our queen bed.

Given the quality of a lot of other things that the RV manufacturer puts together, I think I would be looking to beef up at least the upper bed in a bunk.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:42 PM   #14

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
I can't see the tracks and I don't have a BH, you may have to beef the tracks up a little. But the type a base used is going to play a fairly big part in the strength for the bed. Sure was in our queen bed.

Given the quality of a lot of other things that the RV manufacturer puts together, I think I would be looking to beef up at least the upper bed in a bunk.
Thanks! I am going to get my husband to take a look at it! Or I am going to have to put my 16 year old on a diet! haha
Old 07-30-2014, 09:25 PM   #15

Delaware
Quote:

I have come to notice this is not uncommon. My unit came off the line on August 8, 2013 as a 2014 model. Not 1.5 months later I started seeing other 2014 models with solid surface counter tops, LED light strip on the awning, porcelain toilet, TV's, and outlets in different locations. Then the full fiberglass front cap came out and now this year I am seeing the bathroom door reversed so that when it is open it does not block the bunks and all of the cabinets are solid wood. Mine are wrapped in brown vinyl.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
Old 07-31-2014, 01:22 AM   #16

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by prm99v6 View Post
I have come to notice this is not uncommon. My unit came off the line on August 8, 2013 as a 2014 model. Not 1.5 months later I started seeing other 2014 models with solid surface counter tops, LED light strip on the awning, porcelain toilet, TV's, and outlets in different locations. Then the full fiberglass front cap came out and now this year I am seeing the bathroom door reversed so that when it is open it does not block the bunks and all of the cabinets are solid wood. Mine are wrapped in brown vinyl.
When we purchased our TT, they had it listed as a 2014 but scratched it out. I looked at some videos on Youtube and was so confused. Some of the 2014 had the half cap front and some had the full. Anyways, before I purchased this TT, I actually called Dutchman and confirmed the VIN that the unit was in fact a 2015 which it was. The full sink cover was a new thing and as you mentioned, a few things were moved around. ie. the bunk controller button is at the front door. My kitchen cabinets are solid I think, with a distressed finish. My counters are solid, but I did look at your pictures and I have to say I like the pattern of your counters.

It is very confusing how they produce their product to say the least.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:45 PM   #17

Delaware
I was in a 2015 282DBHS a few days ago and the bunks tracks looked identical to what is in mine. I didn't examine the bunk platform closley but I noticed it was white. Mine is wood on top but they are 1.5-1.75 inches thick. I think there is some sort of foam under the wood.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
Old 08-14-2014, 09:19 PM   #18

Ontario
Quote:
I was in a 2015 282DBHS a few days ago and the bunks tracks looked identical to what is in mine. I didn't examine the bunk platform closley but I noticed it was white. Mine is wood on top but they are 1.5-1.75 inches thick. I think there is some sort of foam under the wood.
I honestly think they reduced the weight limit for legal reasons but it is the same structure. People think if 300lbs is OK they will push it to 400lbs. 150lbs turns out to be 250lbs. Beds are too small to put 2 people side by side (adults) anyways so sticking to the 150lbs is easy for me. My growing teen boy, he gladly goes on the bottom bunk aka floor! lol

So what differences did you notice with the 2015? Other than the new cutting board LOL
Old 08-14-2014, 10:43 PM   #19

Delaware
I can see that but it's a pain in the butt to make the bed off of the bunk (even when I climb up there).

For 2015 I saw the bathroom door is reversed, they moved the bunk switch, the tv antenna is moved, the wiring and outlet for the main tv are moved and some extra outlets. But this one did not have the undersink, which they started doing in 2014.

I absolutely believe they use whatever parts are lying around and put stuff wherever they want.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
Old 08-14-2014, 10:51 PM   #20

Ontario
Quote:
I can see that but it's a pain in the butt to make the bed off of the bunk (even when I climb up there).

For 2015 I saw the bathroom door is reversed, they moved the bunk switch, the tv antenna is moved, the wiring and outlet for the main tv are moved and some extra outlets. But this one did not have the undersink, which they started doing in 2014.

I absolutely believe they use whatever parts are lying around and put stuff wherever they want.
I agree, the way the throw random things on..there is no reasoning behind it. It made purchasing one very confusing!

I don't make those bunks, I send my 13 year old there to do it...my luck I would come crashing through lol