3795 Bedroom slide - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Interior and Living
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2013, 12:10 AM   #1

Indiana
3795 Bedroom slide

alethaj,

Just a question.

What is or is not happening with your bedroom slide?

Is it a schwintec mechanism or rack and pinion? Or, don't you know.

We had issues with our bedroom slide, that's why I'm asking.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:07 AM   #2

I am sorry but not sure what type of slide we have but will go out and see if there is a name
anywhere. The slide was not going out without one of us having to push on one side or the other. Same with bringing it back in..The floor under the slide is crumbling and have had to replace the screws that holds the trim on. We are waiting for the dealer to receive some sort of kit to repair/replace the slide. This unit was purchased June of 2012.

alethaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:49 AM   #3

Michigan
Should be the Schwintec Mechanism. All Three slides use the same mechanism so this may apply as our bedroom slide has been fine but we had trouble with the galley slide. After we got the T-hauler home, while loading for the first trip, I noticed a drag mark at the rear edge of the slide in the floor covering. By the time we got back there was a big rip in aforesaid covering. Back to the dealer where after a month they got authorization from Dutchmen to repair. They said the floor was not screwed down properly and they fixed that and put all new floor covering in.(Right, you could see the seam where they patched it.) Pulled home and started reloading for another trip. Closed the slide for overnight and the next morning when I ran it back out there was a new hole/rip in the vinyl floor covering. Canceled the trip and back to the dealer for another month. This time they claimed they had to completely remove the slide in order to raise the rearward roller up as it was installed to low at the factory. The floor has been rip free since then except when we had the rig at the factory and one of the complaints we had was when I walked thru past the island, it would shake stuff off on to the floor, (ok, at 230+ I can see where I might test the flooring,) So they said it wasn't screwed down properly and had to remove the island to fasten down the flooring. (Wait a minute, wasn't that what my dealer told me/repaired.)

Anyway, a couple of possibility's for your problem is the end that needs help is dragging on the carpet, or as the drive unit uses two drive motors, the one on the laggey end could be weak or not working. I'm not an electrical engineer but I don't undersand how they can put an electric motor on each end of a slide with only an electrical connection and keep both ends aligned in all conditions. Ours on occasion will come in on one end faster than the other but is only off an inch or so and when the one end stops the slow end keeps coming in until it is also tight, or at least it has so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flooring under Galley Slide.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	358  
Two Harleys
Aronious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #4

Indiana
Alethej,

Nothing will be written on your slide. Just like Aronious has chimed in and said that all of his are Schwintec. Not all of our slides are Schwintec on my rig.

The Schwintec mechanism will have two rails (bedroom slide) on each side of the slide. The rails are aluminum with Swirly indentations where a gear would ride. There are two individual motors that are suppose to work in unison. Sometimes they don't play well together.

I have not had mine not go out; although, I have had my slide not come in all the way.......within 2" and stop. Authorized repair facility had to fix that. I, like Aronious have had my slide come in cockeyed. I have gotten to the point where I will physically push on the side of the slide that's out further while running the slide in.

Keep us posted on your slide.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 04-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #5

Indiana
Aronious,

We had the same issue with our galley slide. Dutchmen said the same thing to me and the authorized repair facility.

The tech said that Dutchmen wants him to cut the vinyl floor and screw it down. WOW! I was not impressed, not to mention my wife. The floor had the appearance that there was a bow or a frost heave in it. Taking a straight edge the floor was fine.

The tech looked at what was happening and felt that the weight of the contents in the fridge was having an effect on the slide when we slid it in. When the slide would be midway in, it would start dragging on the floor. It looked and sounded like it was going to tear the vinyl.

There is a style (part of the wood cabinet) just below a drawer which is underneath the fridge. The tech took that style off and shaved 3/8" off the bottom.

It no longer drags on the floor.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 04-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #6

Michigan
Infinityrver - Hadn't thought about the weight of a full fridge causing the slide to sag. Sounds like a good reason for it to drag. The little woman always packs that thing to the hilt, I have trouble sneaking a spare brown bottle in there anywhere.
Two Harleys
Old 04-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #7

We have a rip on the vinyl in front of the sofa that has been there since Sept. ( We picked up the unit June 29, 2012)..Dealer said the rip was not their problem..(huh?)..all 3 of our slides have had problems...we have a new microwave because the convection part went out..have had the unit in shop 3 times because the fridge will not kick in on LP..runs fine on AC but when we travel it will not run so freezer stuff starts to thaw..have trim that has come off and had to be renailed...had 3 windows that have leaks..they reseald them..but the window by the bedroom steps was full of water again (after a rain) 3 days ago. Had a leak in the water line that flooded the basement....awaning arm broke and had to be replaced...the inverter went out and had to be replaced...I keep saying this unit is jenxed as it seems everytime we take it out we go back to the dealer on the return trip..we have to learn to love it as we still have a hefty balance and the trade in value sucks...we had a Cardinal 5th wheel before this one and I am really starting to miss that unit..ha ha...off the whine box now....happy trails to all...
Aletha & John
alethaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:53 PM   #8

Indiana
Aletha & John,

My wife & I feel your pain. We've had our issues with our unit. I don't know how many times my wife has said those same words as you. She has felt that ours was jinxed at times. It has certainly taxed our emotions.

One of the couples that we met in Florida recently had told us that they had to replace three convection ovens within a year. Theirs is a Big Horn. Thor is the mother company of our units and their Big Horn. I'm feeling that the Thor company allows there companies to put these together in a very shotty manner. Redwood and some others are under the Thor company brand. If you get on Redwoodrv-forum.com you will get a sense of issues with those units, also.

There are people that have less issues than others. I have had three other 5th wheel units previous to this one and have never had as many problems and issues as I have with this. We love this trailer. We just hate the issues and ignorance of the dealers and the repair facilities.

My wife and I will make sure that the next unit that we purchase will not be a Thor product. Crap rolls down hill and starts right from the top THOR.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 04-07-2013, 11:31 PM   #9

Michigan
Found a couple of videos that may help if you have a Schwintek Slide System.
Schwintek In-Wall Slide System (Trouble Shooting Tips) By Lippert ...

or
Schwintek In-Wall Slide-Out Motor - Removing and Replacing ...

Hope this works as I've not tried to pin a link in a reply as yet.
Two Harleys
Old 04-07-2013, 11:55 PM   #10

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronious View Post
Found a couple of videos that may help if you have a Schwintek Slide System.
Schwintek In-Wall Slide System (Trouble Shooting Tips) By Lippert ...

or
Schwintek In-Wall Slide-Out Motor - Removing and Replacing ...

Hope this works as I've not tried to pin a link in a reply as yet.
Aaron,

Pretty sad...... when we have to utilize these sites. I have never had to worry about if a slide was going to slide out, slide in incorrectly, or not at all. One other thing to worry about when we venture out on a trip.

I've been in the Dutchmen/Schwintec slide system & override procedures site too many times.

Good to extend this info in this thread.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 04-08-2013, 12:47 AM   #11

New Mexico
Lots of great info, I have one schwintec slide that is acting up a hair. One side doesn't go in all the way, perhaps 1 inch short. I just have to research a bit to see if there is a way to adjust the one motor so it goes in a bit more.
72mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #12

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72mach View Post
Lots of great info, I have one schwintec slide that is acting up a hair. One side doesn't go in all the way, perhaps 1 inch short. I just have to research a bit to see if there is a way to adjust the one motor so it goes in a bit more.
72mach,

If in your research you find out that something can be done electronically, let us know.

I push on that one side, which ever it may be that day, while I'm bringing in the slide.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL