US made ST tires?? - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Chassis and Running Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2015, 12:03 PM   #21

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
X2 on the sidewall. Go to the Goodyear site and look for the comparison of ST vs LT tires, if I remember correctly is written by one of the tire engineers. If you want to tow over 65MPH then spend the tire on a properly speed rated tire that has the LR to handle the weight.

Add Gladiators to the list, they also produce a wide variety of commercial tires and they seem to be gaining traction around here. I see alot of them on the Cube Vans, from one ton to five tons, where I buy my fuel.

I'll be visiting my buddy this afternoon, he's been a trucker for more years than, if I can remember I'll ask him if the big boys are using them.

Just a quick check on Amazon, the Gladiator tires are not well liked....lots of recent single star reviews.

For those that run the 17.5 tires, I happen to catch that Sailun makes the S637 in that size also. Another option, they look to be about $200/tire.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:08 PM   #22

Maryland
Jim,

I actually do a break-away test prior to the start of each trip...part of my long checklist to get the trip started...

What I do perform every single time we roll out of the park is a full bake application at 10 mph (usually campground speed limit) to see if the brakes lock-up (try to do it in gravel or dirt so I can see each tire's brake performance). If not, they get some clicks at the next stop...

Cale

Old 11-13-2015, 12:09 PM   #23

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Jim,
I don't mind electronic deevices but am not a slave to them either. The TPMS is money well spent. It will give you early warning if you have a tire starting to go down due to a leak. I tow a single axle trailer, it is critical. I personally have not had one go down yet. But a buddy uses it on his fifth wheel. We were leaving a campground; we had both physically checked out tire pressures. About 5 miles down the road he pulls over, one of the tire monitors had gone off. We checked the tire, found a screw in it that he must have picked up just as we were leaving the campground (probably fell out of a Dutchmen product ) He has had a blow out before due to unknown causes, that one did over $6,000 worth of damage. The TPMS cost him less than $600. We both use the TST system.

Aaron
Aaron,

I have thought about getting one several times, then I say to myself, self if I allow you to get a TPMS will you still keep doing your same pre trip and check you tires properly for cuts, bruises and bluges. When self says no, I say you can't have one.

I'm sure that all these modern computer controlled modules on vehicles these days are great, when they work. I do love my ABS and shift on the fly 4X4, but every winter, you wouldn't know about that , I disable the ABS so I can keep my braking on ice skills fresh, just in case. In the summer, I like to practice my threshold braking.

All that traction controll and anti roll stuff, just takes the feedback out of the seat of your pants. If you have ever watch "Road through Hell", the TV show about tow and recovery operators take a look and count the number of new highend cars with all that stuff in them that get into trouble. I live about a hundred miles north of where that show is shot and we see the same thing on our way to town.

Some people just can't adjust their driving to the road conditions and they seem to think that the 70MPH speed limit is just a suggestion.

Since the speed limit was raised this year, which is fine it's just as capable to handle 70 as any interstate I have driven, there have been more multi-vehilce rollovers that ten previous 11 years we have been here.

Our dollar may not be worth as much as yours, but our speed limits are worth more, your seventy is our 120.

Jim

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:21 PM   #24

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by calewjohnson View Post
Just a quick check on Amazon, the Gladiator tires are not well liked....lots of recent single star reviews.

For those that run the 17.5 tires, I happen to catch that Sailun makes the S637 in that size also. Another option, they look to be about $200/tire.

Cale
Interesting, because I have never talked to any and that is everyone I see running the Gladiators that had anything negative to say about them.

Last time I was down to Orville WA, I stopped at Les Schwab to check if they stocked them.
The last set in my size went out the door that morning. The salesman I was talking to said that they sell two Gladiators to every other brand they sell and that come backs are almost no existant.

I don't know if the guy saw my tags and figured, ah ha a Canuck, he quoted me $C prices in $US. I think he though I was that guy that's born everyday that PT Barnum was talking about.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:29 PM   #25

British Columbia
Quote:
Jim,

I actually do a break-away test prior to the start of each trip...part of my long checklist to get the trip started...

What I do perform every single time we roll out of the park is a full bake application at 10 mph (usually campground speed limit) to see if the brakes lock-up (try to do it in gravel or dirt so I can see each tire's brake performance). If not, they get some clicks at the next stop...

Cale
Cale,

You have got to be old school, because there's not many of us that do any more. At least not that I have seen in all my travels.

When I had to go for my road test to get the DL endorsement to tow the brick, the driving examiner remark at the end of the road test that I was one of the few that did the tug test before hitting the road.

Jim
Old 11-13-2015, 12:46 PM   #26

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Cale,

You have got to be old school, because there's not many of us that do any more. At least not that I have seen in all my travels.

When I had to go for my road test to get the DL endorsement to tow the brick, the driving examiner remark at the end of the road test that I was one of the few that did the tug test before hitting the road.

Jim

Not old school (I'm only 38), I was just taught a certain way and I tend to keep with it. After hooking up, the 7 pin plug is essentially a new connection, if I am checking all my lights, cannot leave one of the pins unchecked... Plus it is funny seeing people's reactions when a 20,000lb, 45ft trailer comes to a lurching stop...

As a flyer, I am very checklist oriented and have OCD about how things are done. I perform periodic maintenance (every 7 days wipe the legs with silicon, run the genset 2 hrs/month, etc...). I have seen people get hurt (and killed) by not following procedures.

Cale

Old 11-13-2015, 03:42 PM   #27

British Columbia
Quote:
Not old school (I'm only 38), I was just taught a certain way and I tend to keep with it. After hooking up, the 7 pin plug is essentially a new connection, if I am checking all my lights, cannot leave one of the pins unchecked... Plus it is funny seeing people's reactions when a 20,000lb, 45ft trailer comes to a lurching stop...

As a flyer, I am very checklist oriented and have OCD about how things are done. I perform periodic maintenance (every 7 days wipe the legs with silicon, run the genset 2 hrs/month, etc...). I have seen people get hurt (and killed) by not following procedures.

Cale
Cale,

According to my son your middle aged and on the down hill slide.

I was in my mid 30s when my son came home and was talking to his mother about taht days lesson, seems they were talking about middle age. My wife asked him what middle age was, he said "You know, like dad". Kids they make you old before your time.

Being a flyer explains everything, I have found that folks that work or fly as a hobby and anyone that has a job that requires any sort of pre-check tends to take that practice to everything they do.

I know what you mean about the consequences of not following proceedure, seen to many missing body parts because they couldn't take the time to lock out a machine that needed maintenance.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:55 AM   #28

Maryland
I thought 60s was the new 20s?!?!?! I am an infant!

Cale

Old 11-14-2015, 03:27 PM   #29

British Columbia
Quote:
I thought 60s was the new 20s?!?!?! I am an infant!

Cale
Cale

There's two forces at work, first is the effects of gravity, that's what happens when gravity pulls your body down harder than you can push back up.

The other is the effect of time, that's the part that says you have to grow old.

You can't do any thing about the gravity, but you can counter act time, that has to do with how you let it effect your mind.

My personal philosophy all my life has been "I have to get old, but I don't have to grow up".

Being on the steep downhill slide of sixty, gavity has done it's dirty work on me, but time still hasn't made me grow up. I still feel like that kid that was ready to take on whaterver life through at him, chew it up and spit it out.

Jim
Old 11-24-2015, 07:55 AM   #30

Michigan
I don't know how to act my age - I've never been this old before!
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:58 PM   #31

California
Yea I only admit to being a senior if I get a discount for it.

2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote