Type of jack needed to change tire - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Chassis and Running Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2018, 08:17 PM   #1

North Carolina
Type of jack needed to change tire

First time posting a question. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide. I have a 2017 Dutchman Aerolite 242bhsl with tandem axles. It has the Stabilitrack suspension system and I am trying to verify what type of jack I would need to have in case I need to change a flat tire myself. The dealer told me that I could use one of those plastic ramps that lift one of the tires off the ground (such as the Rapid Jack from Anderson. However, due to the Stabilitrack suspension, I have found conflicting information that indicated it will not work. Appreciate any suggestions/experience you may have with this type of axle set up. Thanks

Marty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:21 PM   #2

Florida
I purchased a bottle jack.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:31 PM   #3

North Carolina
Thanks for the quick response... I would guess the bottle jack has to have a good extension range in order to get the wheel off the ground?
Marty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:06 PM   #4

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty D View Post
Thanks for the quick response... I would guess the bottle jack has to have a good extension range in order to get the wheel off the ground?
Doesn't need to be much. hardest part is getting the bottle jack under the flat.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:02 AM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
Bottle jack. You can try the ramp method by stacking up a few 2x6 boards and driving up on them to see if the other wheel comes off the ground far enough to change it. I have done that with older dual axle trailers. Also for outside dual wheel on a pickup...

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:16 PM   #6

Tennessee
I carry a bottle jack in the front pass through. I use my Lynx levelers to provide additional height if it's needed.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:20 PM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Bottle jack. You can try the ramp method by stacking up a few 2x6 boards and driving up on them to see if the other wheel comes off the ground far enough to change it. I have done that with older dual axle trailers. Also for outside dual wheel on a pickup...

Aaron
Will this work with the new independent axle configurations?
Old 06-06-2018, 06:37 PM   #8

Arizona
I carry an 8 ton bottle jack. Doesn't take up much room. Never had to use it for a flat but works great at home for routine maintenance. If there is a way you can get rid of your Made in China trailer tire bombs you'll reduce your blowout chances to next to nothing.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:33 PM   #9

Texas
No jack needed. You can use your leveling blocks to roll the the other tire up til you get the flat tire of the ground. I've changed multiple flat tires this way. It's a trick I learned from a trucker when I had my first blowout and the truck jack wouldn't lift the trailer
ezytigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:24 PM   #10

North Carolina
I keep the 12 ton bottle jack that was in my motorhome in the trailer. But, I think I need to switch that out for the jack I use to adjust my brakes. For that I just use a trolly jack. On my TT the builders decided to run the gas line on the bottom of the frame "I" beam so I cannot jack it there. I put the jack right under the "U" bolt that mounts the springs to the axle. I have a smaller bottle jack but the contact surface is so small I just don't trust it.
falconbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:35 PM   #11

Indiana
CANt think of the name, but there is a device you can drive good tire onto and it lifts the bad tire. I have one, but can’t think of the name of it. I’ll check when I get the chance. Way better than jack when in a hurry on a busy road
cridpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:47 AM   #12

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cridpath View Post
CANt think of the name, but there is a device you can drive good tire onto and it lifts the bad tire. I have one, but can’t think of the name of it. I’ll check when I get the chance. Way better than jack when in a hurry on a busy road
Called a trailer aid - they work with tandem axles, but not triples.
Attached Images

donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:47 PM   #13

Maryland
Type of jack to use.

I have a 282 DBHS and I needed to grease the wheel bearings so I had to get one of the wheels off the ground so I could rotate the wheel while I was greasing it. I tried using the leveling blocks but that would not work, the wheel would not come off the ground. I then bought a bottle jack and that would not get the wheel off the ground either. So I had to use the big service jack I keep in my garage to get the wheels off the ground. This jack is too big to carry in the camper. So I have the same question as you, what type of tool or jack can you use if you have a flat that can be carried in the camper.
Steve Clipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:56 PM   #14

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clipp View Post
I have a 282 DBHS and I needed to grease the wheel bearings so I had to get one of the wheels off the ground so I could rotate the wheel while I was greasing it. I tried using the leveling blocks but that would not work, the wheel would not come off the ground. I then bought a bottle jack and that would not get the wheel off the ground either. So I had to use the big service jack I keep in my garage to get the wheels off the ground. This jack is too big to carry in the camper. So I have the same question as you, what type of tool or jack can you use if you have a flat that can be carried in the camper.
Not sure where you put the bottle jack, but it should work. I've jacked mine up more than once with a bottle jack and lynx levelers.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:11 PM   #15

California
You might try keeping some 2x4’s with you and stack them so the bottle jack can sit on them which allows the jack to extend much higher because the base is now much higher off the ground. You also won’t have to jack as far.

Trailer Sid might not work if the distance between the axles is too great as the lifted tire will not cause the flat tire to come off the ground.

Also, figure out the best method before you get the flat by practicing first. No stress and no hurry so much easier.

Fortunately, my Voltage has the hydraulic leveling system so I can now get the tires off the ground without a jack and without breaking a sweat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2018, 10:28 PM   #16

Colorado
Harbor Freight carries a 30 ton bottle jack that's not expensive at all...So I bought that just to make sure I could get a wheel off the ground with the RV loaded.

Yes, a flat can make it hard to get the bottle jack under the axle. So I use the truck jack to get under the axle and get it up to where the bottle jack fits and go from there.

Pirate

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote