TT Tire Rotation - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Chassis and Running Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2015, 01:58 PM   #1

Ontario
TT Tire Rotation

Good day Folks,

In the spring, I intend to rotate my tires on my 2014 Denali 289RKS which weighs about 8,400lbs with all our stuff. The trailer has dual axles w/15' wheels.

What I intend to do is, use 2 bottle hydraulic jacks, one under the left front axle and the other on the rear right axle and lift them both just off the ground. Then, pull both tires off and switch them. Then repeat wit the other two. I will put a plate on the ground for the jack but would not use anything between the axle and the jack's round topped ram (any idea if anything is needed there and what I could use?).

What are some opinions about this. I was thinking about using 2 or 4 ton jacks (am leaning toward the 2 ton as I am not raising the whole rig).

Any advice or comment would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance

Yves

Old 11-29-2015, 02:07 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Why bother rotating? If everything is balanced out properly (a far stretch) you should be getting pretty equal wear on your tires. In my experience most trailer tires need to be replaced due to age before wearing out. I do realize that some people travel a lot more than others and tires do wear out.

I use a big floor jack and a couple of jack stands on my trailers. Hopefully someone that is familiar with your set up will chime in on the best jacking methods.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 03:44 PM   #3

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Why bother rotating? If everything is balanced out properly (a far stretch) you should be getting pretty equal wear on your tires. In my experience most trailer tires need to be replaced due to age before wearing out. I do realize that some people travel a lot more than others and tires do wear out.

I use a big floor jack and a couple of jack stands on my trailers. Hopefully someone that is familiar with your set up will chime in on the best jacking methods.

Aaron
Thanks Aaron....we do not travel a lot as we have to be around to care for my father who is 93 and in a retirement residence so we pretty well park in the same provincial park, about 55 miles away and do no more than a couple of back and forth with the rig. I was more concerned on extending tire life but reading on that subject here, I see where you are coming from in regards to the age of the tires. I will most likely watch that instead (they are 2yrs old) and when they get to around 6 or so - unless they wear rapidly, then I will change them. Thanks again for your input!!
Old 11-29-2015, 04:35 PM   #4

Nevada
TT Tire Rotation

Average two thousand miles amount. I rotate every 5 thousand. I also carry 2500 lbs of cargo in the garage. So uneven tire wear Would/could happen
Soccerloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 04:50 PM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Mountie View Post
Thanks Aaron....we do not travel a lot as we have to be around to care for my father who is 93 and in a retirement residence so we pretty well park in the same provincial park, about 55 miles away and do no more than a couple of back and forth with the rig. I was more concerned on extending tire life but reading on that subject here, I see where you are coming from in regards to the age of the tires. I will most likely watch that instead (they are 2yrs old) and when they get to around 6 or so - unless they wear rapidly, then I will change them. Thanks again for your input!!
X2 What Aaron said. If you have a tread depth gauge, you can measure the tread depth to see if there is a wear problem. If one tire is showing more wear than the other, then it's worth rotaing the tires.

I use pretty much the process you describe, for my 30' 12k rig, only I don't jack under the axles. I use my levelling blocks to get the jack up to the frame, I can get both wheels off the ground when I jack from just in front of the spring hanger. Put jack stands under the frame and go to work.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:42 PM   #6

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
X2 What Aaron said. If you have a tread depth gauge, you can measure the tread depth to see if there is a wear problem. If one tire is showing more wear than the other, then it's worth rotaing the tires.

I use pretty much the process you describe, for my 30' 12k rig, only I don't jack under the axles. I use my levelling blocks to get the jack up to the frame, I can get both wheels off the ground when I jack from just in front of the spring hanger. Put jack stands under the frame and go to work.
Thanks hddecker!! Loading up the jacks on the frame seem the better way to go as I won't run the risk of bending an axle.