Trouble with hub and bearings - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Chassis and Running Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2016, 11:52 PM   #1
Deb

Maine
Trouble with hub and bearings

We bought a 1995 dutchmen 26 ft.Before we got it home,the tire flew off and the wheel bearing went.Having someone repair it.Heres my problem I hope someone can help!! Our mechanic is having trouble finding a hub. Norhing matches up. How do you tell what part you need? ?? I'm don't mean to sound dumb.Seriously cannot find part numbers. Getting so frustrated

Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:15 AM   #2

Arizona
I may be out of my element here but in the case of my Denali the axle components are made by Lippert Components (LCI). The axle has a ratings plate located at the middle of the axle. That was my starting point in determining what hub components my trailer uses. Maybe your axle has a plate with the name of the manufacturer and a part number. Use that as your starting point.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:16 AM   #3

British Columbia
Welcome to the forum, Deb.

Sorry, things have started out poorly for you. Have your mechanic look here, he should be able to find the right one.

Trailer Parts for Wheels, Lights, Suspension, Couplers, Jacks, Wiring and Cargo Control - etrailer.com

They have one of the better selections online and are easy to deal with.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:47 AM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Her trailer is a much older unit, produced, I think, before LCI started providing axles. I replied in her other thread that it may be a Dexter or Al-Ko axle, both were in use by Dutchmen in the 1990's. Also there should be a tag on the axle tube somewhere, it will tell you who the manufacturer is, the weight rating, serial number and build date. Typically it has been a small stamped steel tag that is either riveted or tack welded on.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:50 PM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
I will also point out that the bearings SHOULD have a number stamped on them that can be cross referenced. You may need to go to an old fashioned auto parts store that has the reference books, versus the new computerized chain stores. Also look for one of the old guys that actually knows what parts are what.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:05 PM   #6

Oklahoma
old guys that actually knows what parts are what

A rare breed these days in the auto parts stores
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 03:53 PM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I will also point out that the bearings SHOULD have a number stamped on them that can be cross referenced. You may need to go to an old fashioned auto parts store that has the reference books, versus the new computerized chain stores. Also look for one of the old guys that actually knows what parts are what.

Aaron
Even better is a good old fashion Bearing Store, if you have one near by. I used to take my old bearings into BC Bearing. That's all they sold was bearings from the smallest needle bearing, all the way to mining truck roller bearings, that took two man and a boy to lift.

No number, no problem, they get out the calipers, measure it, find it on the size table, ask you, what brand you want. Five minutes and you walking out the door with a bearing that has been obsolete for decades.

Of course that only helps if all you need is bearings, but the OP said she is looking for a hub. Personally I would replace all of the running gear on a camper of that age. I like to know exactly where I'm starting from.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:40 PM   #8
Deb

Maine
Thank you to all who have replied Ir has helped. We will start again tomorrow with some of your suggestions
Old 05-23-2016, 08:17 PM   #9
Deb

Maine
I give up

I give up.I have crawled underneath with a flashlight.Thete is absolutely NOTHING on the axles
Old 05-23-2016, 08:39 PM   #10

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
I give up.I have crawled underneath with a flashlight.Thete is absolutely NOTHING on the axles
Don't give up just yet.
Time to visit the local RV shop. Surely their technicians can provide some guidance. Quite a few of them are pretty knowledgeable about these things regardless of what brand or how old the rig is.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:44 PM   #11

British Columbia
Just to clarify, do you need a hub as well as the bearings? If the hub is in overall good condition, you could just replace the bearings and races.

Check the data plate, usually on the left sidewall front, for the GVWR. That will provide a clue as to the size of axles. They are a pretty standardized item and that will help you narrow down your search. Given the size of your camper I would think you have 3500# axles. The bolt pattern on your wheels will also give you a clue, if it's a 5 on 41/2" bolt pattern that would indicate a 3500# axle.

Wheel bearings for that axle are often found in pre-packaged hang cards in the auto parts stores trailer section.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:35 AM   #12

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
Since you are looking for trailer axle parts go to a good trailer axle shop and have them take a look. Sometimes we all need an expert to take it on.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:36 AM   #13

British Columbia
Due to cross posting rules, I've closed the other thread and directed traffic to this thread in order to keep the information flow in one location.
grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 03:41 PM   #14
Deb

Maine
Thank you!!
Old 05-28-2016, 05:05 PM   #15

British Columbia
Your welcome, have you found a hub yet?

Cheers
Daryl B
grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:09 PM   #16
Deb

Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by grump010 View Post
Your welcome, have you found a hub yet?

Cheers
Daryl B
I ordered one,today from etrailer.com.Went by axle wt and bolt holes.fingers crossed!