Tire Question - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Chassis and Running Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2018, 06:00 PM   #1

Virginia
Tire Question

Dually or single Tire? I looking to purchase a new GMC 3500 and I would rather go with single tire. Pulling a 39' Voltage Toy Hauler. Does anyone pull with single tire? 13,831, Empty - Max 16,800lbs. Pro's or Con's on Dually or single tires?
Thanks Andy

Andy3605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:28 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Dual wheels are going to give you some added stability. I have towed the same trailer with two different F350s, there was a noticeable difference between the DRW and SRW. Make sure you look at total cargo capacity of the truck you are looking at, most trucks run out of pin weight and carrying capacity long before they run out of pulling capacity.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:44 PM   #3

Arizona
Single rear wheels won't have the payload capacity of dual tires. My Voltage has 3500 pounds on the hitch. How will 3500 pounds in the bed of single wheel truck work for ya? My dually has a 5,000 pound payload.

One other point: my wife was driving when an inside dually went flat. The flat tire did not affect the handling as it might have had it not been a dually.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:04 AM   #4

Virginia
Thanks Aaron, Can you provide me some of the noticeable differences between the DRW and SRW that you talk about? You are someone that has had both, just what I was looking for. Would you ever go SWD again? If the total cargo capacity of the truck I'm looking at is ok for the pin weight. Things like ride, sway, safety as you mentioned. The toy hauler is also getting close to max tow of the SRW. I am not against DRW, just like the SRW look and handling when not towing, just trying not to make a mistake as main use it to pull this Voltage. Thanks Andy
Andy3605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:27 PM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy3605 View Post
Thanks Aaron, Can you provide me some of the noticeable differences between the DRW and SRW that you talk about? You are someone that has had both, just what I was looking for. Would you ever go SWD again? If the total cargo capacity of the truck I'm looking at is ok for the pin weight. Things like ride, sway, safety as you mentioned. The toy hauler is also getting close to max tow of the SRW. I am not against DRW, just like the SRW look and handling when not towing, just trying not to make a mistake as main use it to pull this Voltage. Thanks Andy
Mainly just a more stable/secure feeling overall. One very noticeable factor was when getting passed by a semi going in the same direction, with the SRW you would feel the trailer start to push, then the rear of the truck would wiggle a bit, with the DRW it was rock solid no noticeable push or wiggle at all.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:23 PM   #6

California
My guess is your Voltage is a V3605. I towed our V3605 & a Teton that were both in the same weight area. Had F-350 SRW longbeds with both. I never felt a pull when being passed by a semi. In strong side winds did need to slow down to 55 though. Yes a dually will be more stable & have higher pay load. Our F-350 SRW was wife's work truck & she didn't like the looks of a dually or being wider. Happy wife happy life, 35 years next month.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:02 PM   #7

Florida
I've towed with both SRW and DRW

I won't go back to a SRW after having this DRW. The stability and ease of towing out of any situation I may find myself in is worth it. I was over the pin and tow weight of my SRW when I loaded my camper. Took it out once with that truck, once only.
Now I have more than enough truck to tow safely and not worry about being over the edge/limit in any circumstance on the road. Case in point is when I was Walmart camping and the exit was a steep grade up hill to a traffic light I had to stop at. I knew I was easily going to pull away from that spot and make the right hand turn from the dead stop. No concern about rolling back into the car behind me nor burning my transmission trying to get moving and make the slow turn at the light.
I always parked in the north forty when grocery shopping or other parking lots so this isn't new with the DRW.
I hope this helps you make your decision.
2014 RAM Mega Cab 4X4 DRW AISIN 4:10
2014 Voltage 3895 Epic III
2012 Screamin Eagle Street Glide - Lots of performance upgrades! S&S 124" stroker kit & 66mm throttle body, big valves, port & polish...She screams performance!
hbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:27 PM   #8

Florida
I have always had SRWs so can't comment on stability but I have read that dullies have a much better turning radious. Makes getting in tight spots easier.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:47 PM   #9

I used a f250 without any problems from one end of the USA to the other. I did notice a little sag in the bed from, I am sure, a well-overloaded rig but I added air bags to the rear and that corrected that issue. Personally, I would rather operate a SW vs a DW on a day to day operation. I am sure the dually is suited to pull any large trailer but my SW does just fine.

Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote