Stock tires (made in China) - Page 3 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Chassis and Running Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2013, 01:34 AM   #41

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoyjack b View Post
Maxxis tires are manufactured in Thailand fyi. Is that better than China? So far, I have not located a single trailer tire made in North America.
Last set of ST tires that I bought (3-4years ago)were Titans and they were made in the USA.

I haven't looked for ST tires since so I don't know if they have gone off shore as well.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #42

From Titan website:

Titan Trailer Tires
Titan Trailer Tires are top quality. Titan makes their bias trailer tires in the USA, while their radial trailer tires are made overseas just like all other radials. The Dico brand is placed on their radial trailer tires.

BigBoyjack b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #43

I posted in this thread earlier about my Akuret tires. We left last week on a 1700 mile round trip journey. Rain and shine the tires performed great. We were 100 miles from home and I am looking at the water spray coming off the LR tire when I said to myself that looks more like smoke not spray. Then chunks of tire flew off. OMG its coming apart. Before I could stop the entire carcass came off and rolled off the roadway. I was traveling about 65 and just had come out of a heavy rain storm so the tires could not have been hot. It just came apart.
The Manufacture date is 25/12 on a 6/13 Voltage. They are within the acceptable range of age. Air was check and rechecked at 81 psi prior to separation.
I found out the hard way my 20 ton jack will not lift the axle high enough when it is flat. I think I am going to get one of the drive on ramps. I had to call GS road service to bring out more jacks. The funny part is I used the same jack to jack up my tires previously but never thought of the jack not having enough lift in height not strength to get the axle high enough to change the tire.
Now I am tire shopping. Will it be Maxxis or GoodYear ???
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman View Post
I posted in this thread earlier about my Akuret tires. We left last week on a 1700 mile round trip journey. Rain and shine the tires performed great. We were 100 miles from home and I am looking at the water spray coming off the LR tire when I said to myself that looks more like smoke not spray. Then chunks of tire flew off. OMG its coming apart. Before I could stop the entire carcass came off and rolled off the roadway. I was traveling about 65 and just had come out of a heavy rain storm so the tires could not have been hot. It just came apart.
The Manufacture date is 25/12 on a 6/13 Voltage. They are within the acceptable range of age. Air was check and rechecked at 81 psi prior to separation.
I found out the hard way my 20 ton jack will not lift the axle high enough when it is flat. I think I am going to get one of the drive on ramps. I had to call GS road service to bring out more jacks. The funny part is I used the same jack to jack up my tires previously but never thought of the jack not having enough lift in height not strength to get the axle high enough to change the tire.
Now I am tire shopping. Will it be Maxxis or GoodYear ???
FYI, Goodyear is also made in China and Maxxis in Thailand. Only American tire I have found so far is a bias- ply Titan. Even Titan radials are made off-shore.
BigBoyjack b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #45

Utah
As I said in an earlier post it only takes a slow leak or a sudden decrease in air pressure and a few miles to ruin a tire and cause separation. This is why I use a TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system). It has saved my bacon more than once. Cheap insurance.
Mel
mhbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:21 AM   #46

I am currently looking at a TPMS. I have not decided which one to get . I really need something that has a loud alarm and something eye catching like a red light. Cost is not the factor as much as the alarm and eye catching alert. Anyone have any suggestions I would love to hear them.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:33 AM   #47

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman View Post
I am currently looking at a TPMS. I have not decided which one to get . I really need something that has a loud alarm and something eye catching like a red light. Cost is not the factor as much as the alarm and eye catching alert. Anyone have any suggestions I would love to hear them.
Goggle TPMS and you will find a wack of them.

I'm a little bit sceptical about some of the claims made and believe the best TPMS is your gauge used faithfully and a tire tapper (ball peen hammer or similar) used at every stop. Running your hands around the sidewalls check for bulges, cuts and abrasions.

This is the routine that I was taught by my buddy, who is a certified driving instructor, when I was going for my heavy RV towing endorsement. With the exception of the gauge, it's also what the driving examiner expects to see you do on your pre-trip.

I've been using this procedure since I started towing a TT and have never had a tire problem that resulted in a failure.

As much as I like technology, I think we are starting to rely on it too much!
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:05 AM   #48

British Columbia
The on board TPMS on my Silverado and F250 has saved my bacon quite a few times, probably more than a dozen in the last few years. I am a believer in using TPMS and bought the Hawkshead unit for my TT. I still check my temps and pressures on the trailer almost every stop but there are road hazards that will take out a tire between checks and that is my primary reason for the TT TPMS.

Just my. 02
Cheers
Daryl B.
grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #49

Washington
I have had a blow out on our last fiver. I religiously check the tires at every stop, with the wife and kids it is seldom more than two hours. Along with psi I have a laser temp gun, check tire and bearing temps, both on the truck and trailer, still had a blowout. The pass. rear on the trailer went pop, luckily the trailer had a 4" lift so no damage to the body of the coach. Felt like the friggin engine exploded when it happened, serious event. Was told it was cord separation by the tire gurus, zero advanced warning at the previous stop.

I purchased the TST 507 system with flow thru sensors mounted on the stems. It was pricy with the extra receiver that I ended up not needing and the 12 sensors. It has a bright red flashing light and loud alarm when the parameters are not met. You can set each axle for a different max and min psi as well as temp range. It also alerts with sudden pressure drops and it refreshes every two minutes or so. I at first thought that wasn't often enough, but is sooner than some I looked at. It was super easy to program, comes with many mounting and wiring options. I just started using it so I have just the cig. lighter adapter for power and I have it mounted on the windshield with the included bracket. I will be adding a circuit just for the unit soon though. I will no longer tow without one, the peace of mind it provides is nearly priceless. I move a couple of sensors over to my 22' flat deck when I tow that now, will be buying more just for it soon as well.

I purchased mine straight from TST, their price was about the same as anywhere else and cheaper than some, and they were great to deal with. It gives me constant info on tire temp and psi, and is accurate enough I can see the rise in psi and temp as I start driving and they warm up. I can also tell which side is getting direct sunlight versus shade, that is excellent info in my book. I know it can't prevent all issues, but many will be caught by the use of this system. It makes one less thing I have to worry so much about as my family and I are on the road. I still do all my checks at every stop just to make sure, and so far all is well. I only have about a thousand miles using this on my Voltage, and another 750 or so on the flatdeck and couldn't be more pleased. I hope this helps those on the fence, do it and let one stress point be reduced, it truly is a very worthwhile expense in my book.

Here are a couple links, one to the manufacturer's site, the other to a dealer I have used several times and have had great service and excellent prices from.

Mike B.

New User Replaceable Bat - Truck System Technologies, Inc

TST Tire Pressure Monitoring System
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Our RV (29) (Medium).jpg
Views:	273
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Our RV (30) (Medium).jpg
Views:	256
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	594  
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #50

I have been running the Akuret tires for 2 years now. Probably have 12,000-15,000 miles on them and I don't pussyfoot when I drive. 3 are great and one is worn badly on the inside but I think it had more to do with the junk Lippert axles than the tires themselves (dealer told me its normal for the tires to look like they are going to snap off when making tight turns - i dont believe it). Anyway, I have two new axles on now and am putting 4 Carlisle new tires on this week. The other 3 Akuret's might make good backup spares though.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:12 AM   #51

Texas
Blow tire and Toe-In issue

All,
Had a blowout on my 2013 Voltage 3905 passenger side. Unit has 5300 miles. All 3 tires on passenger side look like the picture attached. Very obvious worn outer and inner treads. At first look it appears to have been a under pressure issue. However, I check the air (80 PSI) at storage before we hit the road on every trip.
The 2nd photo clearly shows the tow-in issue. The 3 tires on the driver side show normal wear.
No, I did not hit a curb. I have an extended warranty and this is a warranty issue to me. Oh, by the way my bearing seals went out at around 3000 miles. I bet this seal issue is related as the tire heat up while they wear out scrubbing the pavement. Who knows how high the pressure got before it blow up. Could have been very high. Notice how the rubber is rolled up in photo 3 with the higher wear on outside rib of tire.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1607.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	906   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1613.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	907   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1625.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	908  
onedrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:42 AM   #52

Arizona
That's not what toe-in wear looks like, there is no feathering. With low pressure out of the question, your tires show wear that is associated with dynamic imbalance, which is a side-to-side wobble. Spin balancing takes care of that. Do a search on dynamic imbalance and you'll see.

Or, perhaps, your wheel bearings were not properly adjusted when installed (loose), which would also account for wheel wobble and create issues with bearings and bearing seals..
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:00 PM   #53

Texas
Thanks for the comment I will check that out
Old 04-18-2014, 01:06 PM   #54

Texas
One additional comment about that wear pattern. It is 360 degrees all the way around the tire not located in any one spot. From what I saw on dynamic imbalance the bad wear spots show up in spots. My tire looks like it has been dragging the pavement but that entire rib is worn like that all the way around the tire. Thanks,
Old 04-24-2014, 01:01 AM   #55

Minnesota
Greetings all,
I just brought my 2012 Denali 289RK home from winter storage and first item on this years list is to deal with whether or not to put new tires on it. I have about 2000 miles on the unit and the Akuret tires seem to be fine. I do check the pressure constantly, stay below 65 miles per hour and I have loaded 960 pounds (I weighed everything as it went in) of stuff inside so I believe I am in the tire rating for the 4 tires.

I am thinking of running another season with the stock tires but you people make me nervous to do that. I think Dutchman really needs to offer some options on tires, maybe if a person ordere3d a unit you could do that? I checked out my Discount Tire dealer here at home where I normally go and they do have a nice long spot along one side of the shop where I can park the trailer and get new tires. They sell Maxis Tires, as far as I can tell they are made in USA or at least have a much better reputation than Akurat tires.
Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:37 AM   #56

Indiana
Louie,

I've got approximately 7,000 miles on my Akurate tires. I'm not bragging, just sayin' what I have on them. I've read all the bad stuff. Haven't really heard anything good about them.

I too have questioned whether I should replace them. Guess, I'm just runnin' on borrowed time.

I'll run them until they're either worn or I have a blow out.

Good luck in your decision.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:50 AM   #57

Texas
Quote:
They sell Maxis Tires, as far as I can tell they are made in USA
Maxxis tires are made in Taiwan and have an excellent reputation.

Just about every other brand/type of ST trailer tire is made in China.
(except the coveted 14 ply G614's)

My 2014 Voltage came with 10 ply Westlake tires (also made in China),
they look pretty stout so I'm gonna roll with them for at least one season.

Here are some links to help determine a tires country of origin...

How to Read A Tire Sidewall | Auto care Tips | DOT Serial Number | Tire Sidewall

All the D.O.T. Tire Plant Codes

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:30 AM   #58

Texas
All,
My 2013 Voltage 3905 is in the shop and they have submitted a warranty claim to for my tire issue so I will let you all know what happens.
99 gal fuel tank in long bed
Old 04-24-2014, 03:56 PM   #59

Texas
onedrill,

Your tire photo with the level looks very similar to an issue I had with TowMax tires on my old Torque TH. I had three tires bulge around the center, when you took them off the rim you could see the inner liner had separated allowing the pressure to bulge the crown of the tread all the way around the tire. I was lucky and caught it before I had any blowouts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tire 1A.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	938   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire 2A.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	939  

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:49 PM   #60

Minnesota
Mike, Helen and all,
Thanks for the links and other information I looked at them and I am overwhelmed with the such a huge number of tire companies and very few of them are US based.

My next question to all is LT truck tires as compared to Trailer tires. It makes a lot of sense to use truck tires if they are rated at 100 MPH over trailer tires only designed for 60 or 65 MPH.

If I used LT tires load range F, I would think that would be more than safe but I suppose very expensive. I have BF Goodrich LT 245/75R16 E load range tires on the truck and they were $180 each so the F range tires would of course be more. I have read that the trailer tires are designed better to handle the heat and the side loads that a truck tire doesn't get.

I look forward to your thoughts.
Louie

Louie is offline   Reply With Quote