Slide Issues - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Chassis and Running Gear
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-12-2017, 02:40 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tampa
Posts: 1,846
Florida
Unhappy Slide Issues

I have a 2016 Denali 287RE that is just out of warranty (got it in March of 16). Recently, the slide on the kitchen side (super slide) started making a bunch of noise when it was going in and out and jerking the trailer. Camping World service department has the RV now and they are saying that the bottom portion of the slide that rubs on the trailer and gives it support, is destroyed. They have replaced it and it got destroyed again. Fortunately, I purchased the extended warranty! By the way, we only have used the RV four times since we bought it.

Has anyone had this issue? Factory is NO help!
__________________

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:01 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Canon City
Posts: 861
Colorado
I would say the most important thing...this time...is to get a good look and some pics of what is destroyed...and post them so that experienced folks can give you some help.

Also, by being there to see what is destroyed, you can hopefully (forcefully) learn what is doing the destroying and what can be done to prevent it from happening again.

Slides aren't rocket science. They are mechanical devices that have to be set up correctly and maintained.

Do you lubricate your slides in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations? With the specified lubricant?

By making sure you are involved...you can learn a lot about the slides. And with that knowledge you can keep an eye on things down the road.

Unfortunately, RVs are something that require you to be able to do basic troubleshooting and repairs. Otherwise you're always having problems and always in the repair shop.

Just sayin'

Pirate
__________________

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:09 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tampa
Posts: 1,846
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
I would say the most important thing...this time...is to get a good look and some pics of what is destroyed...and post them so that experienced folks can give you some help.

Also, by being there to see what is destroyed, you can hopefully (forcefully) learn what is doing the destroying and what can be done to prevent it from happening again.

Slides aren't rocket science. They are mechanical devices that have to be set up correctly and maintained.

Do you lubricate your slides in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations? With the specified lubricant?

By making sure you are involved...you can learn a lot about the slides. And with that knowledge you can keep an eye on things down the road.

Unfortunately, RVs are something that require you to be able to do basic troubleshooting and repairs. Otherwise you're always having problems and always in the repair shop.

Just sayin'

Pirate
you are absolutely correct. I'm going to run over to CW this week and get some pictures of what is going on. As far as the lube goes, the bottom of the slide itself just seems to rest on this "slick" piece of hard rubber and I lube it enough to float it away. the technician working on it lubed it also to see if that was the issue, it wasn't!

Unfortunately, Dutchmen does NOT publish a service manual or even a parts manual or breakdown (that I can find). Would be much simpler to be able to show you the issue from that. My wife is handicapped so I was attempting to find some way to get an idea of what the studs were behind the shower so I could put up some handrails and they told me that they do not even have the building plans that they could send.

Maybe Dutchmen was not the brand I should have purchased!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:21 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tampa
Posts: 1,846
Florida
287RE Layout
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	287RE Layout.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	4206  
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:50 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Canon City
Posts: 861
Colorado
Frank,

That I'm aware of...none of the RV manufacturers does a decent job of producing documentation that is useful. So it probably doesn't matter that you bought a Dutchmen.

I would very strongly suggest that you do a separate post on something like "handicap devices for shower in 2016 Denali 287RE. That will allow anyone with experience to share what they learned and how they installed handrails and other devices that will aide your wife in using the shower.

Just a very strong suggestion.

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:00 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Central
Posts: 96
Massachusetts
[QUOTE=Pirate;52583]Frank,

That I'm aware of...none of the RV manufacturers does a decent job of producing documentation that is useful. So it probably doesn't matter that you bought a Dutchmen.

I got the same reply from a Dutchmen dealer .... we don't have schematics....but you can make an appointment to bring it in and one of our tech's can troubleshoot it for you
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:03 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Canon City
Posts: 861
Colorado
So I work to make my own drawings and take lots of pics when I work on something in the RV. Then I have documentation of as found and as left.

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:32 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tampa
Posts: 1,846
Florida
[QUOTE=Mongo;52585]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Frank,

That I'm aware of...none of the RV manufacturers does a decent job of producing documentation that is useful. So it probably doesn't matter that you bought a Dutchmen.

I got the same reply from a Dutchmen dealer .... we don't have schematics....but you can make an appointment to bring it in and one of our tech's can troubleshoot it for you
I'm finding out that even the repair shops don't have any idea of how the vehicle (RV) is put together and they basically have to shoot from the hip in getting issues resolved. Even if they are warranty stations for the mfr.

They (CW) told me that they are basically on their own when it comes to ordering parts. They don't even have part number reference manuals to order anything. The first repair on this issue, they told me that the roller was damaged. I found out that there isn't a roller. Have no idea of what they replaced (said they replaced a roller) but it doesn't have one... ? ??
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:11 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tampa
Posts: 1,846
Florida
This is a longshot! Does anyone think that SOMEONE from Dutchmen are reading these posts? Do you think they care?
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:29 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hewitt
Posts: 270
New Jersey
What kind of slide mechanism does it have? The Schwintec/Lippert uses "rollers" in the bearing block assembly. They break, or come off the pin mount and cause the problems you describe. There are rollers inside the frame that the slide rests on going in/out. If the slide gets water intrusion, the bottom swells, and things disingrate from there.

If you can describe or post pictures of your specific slide mechanism, we can give better guidance.

I've had two of my three Schwintec slides rebuilt. Not the fault of the system, but due to poor manufacturing on Dutchman's part. One was not square, and one was missing any type of brackets to properly hold the slide columns in place. Keeping my fingers crossed that they got the third slide right.
__________________
2013 V 3105
2016 F350 King Ranch CC 6.7 diesel dually
pdonoghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:59 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tampa
Posts: 1,846
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonoghu View Post
What kind of slide mechanism does it have? The Schwintec/Lippert uses "rollers" in the bearing block assembly. They break, or come off the pin mount and cause the problems you describe. There are rollers inside the frame that the slide rests on going in/out. If the slide gets water intrusion, the bottom swells, and things disingrate from there.

If you can describe or post pictures of your specific slide mechanism, we can give better guidance.

I've had two of my three Schwintec slides rebuilt. Not the fault of the system, but due to poor manufacturing on Dutchman's part. One was not square, and one was missing any type of brackets to properly hold the slide columns in place. Keeping my fingers crossed that they got the third slide right.
I just got back in town yesterday and they are closed today. I'm going over there tomorrow and hopefully take some pictures that will be able to explain what the issue is.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:29 AM   #12
Site Team
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sprung Leak
Posts: 3,138
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
This is a longshot! Does anyone think that SOMEONE from Dutchmen are reading these posts? Do you think they care?
To the best of my knowledge... no. Ignorance it bliss...

Aaron
__________________
There is madness to my methods
2015 Coleman CM16FBS(traded) 2016 Concord 300DS
2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:29 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Minden
Posts: 689
Nevada
Frank, there are a few of us who have taken RV's apart and did our own repairs, so pictures will help, most slides do have so type of rollers on the bottom, or rollers on the side channels.....I don't know your unit, but I have worked on slides, It has to be square, if water is getting in and the bottom floor is not sealed good, it will not stay flat and there will be not wear for the rollers to roll...
__________________
Rich and Angela, Lab Dogs, Ruben, Ace
2015 Voltage V3895 2006 Lance Truck Camper
2013 Chevy 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:45 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tampa
Posts: 1,846
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNevada View Post
Frank, there are a few of us who have taken RV's apart and did our own repairs, so pictures will help, most slides do have so type of rollers on the bottom, or rollers on the side channels.....I don't know your unit, but I have worked on slides, It has to be square, if water is getting in and the bottom floor is not sealed good, it will not stay flat and there will be not wear for the rollers to roll...
Hello Rick. Thanks for the reply. As far as I can tell, the bottom of the slide is coated with some sort of material that looks like Graphite flooring. The slide is not a "normal" slide. It is suspended by cables and a series of pullys and I first thought it would run in and out on a NYLON type of plastic that was bolted to the trailer just below the slide at the entrance to the trailer.

This is the mechanism.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:47 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tampa
Posts: 1,846
Florida
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:51 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tampa
Posts: 1,846
Florida
As far as I can tell with looking on youTube, it is an ACCU-SLIDE mechanism. Cables.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:56 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tampa
Posts: 1,846
Florida
An update

Here's an update :

1.00 DRIVER SIDE REAR LIVING ROOM
SLIDE IS SLOW GOING IN AN OUT
CAUSE: SLIDE IS ADJUSTED ALL THE WAY DOWN. THERE IS ABOUT A 2" GAP AT TOP AND IT IS FLAT AGAINST THE GLIDE BAR ON THE BOTTOM. 4.0 WILL NEED TO RUN SLIDE HALF WAYOUT.
JACK UP SLIDE ROOM TO SUPPORT. LOOSEN
TENSION ON SLIDE CABLES. JACK ROOM TO
CORRECT LEVEL AND THEN ADJUST CABLES SO
THEY ARE IN THE CORRECT POSITION.
ADJUSTED CABLES TO WHERE IT WILL NOT
DRAG FLOOR. JACKED UP SLIDE AND FOUND
THE SLIDE WEAR BAR HAS CRUSHED CAUSING
THE CABLES TO STRETCH DUW TO NOT
SUPPORT FOR THE WEIGHT OF THE SLIDE
ROOM. OVER TIME THIS WILL CAUSE DAMGAGE
TO SEALS, FLOOR AND EVENTUALLY SNAP THE
CABLE. TO REPLACE FAILED PART WILL NEED
TO REMOVE ALL SLIDE ROOM INTERIOR
FASCIA, SUB FASCIA. PLACE A ROOM JACK
UNDER ROOM TO SUPPORT. LOOSEN ALLTENSION FROM CABLES. DISASSEMBLE CABLE CONNECTION AND COMPLETELY REMOVE ROOM
FROM UNIT. AFTER ROOM IS REMOVEd WE CAN
ACCESS THE WEAR BAR AND REMOVE FAILED
PART. INSTALL NEW WARE BAR AT
APPROPrIATE HEIGHT. REINSTALL ROOM.
REINSTALL COMPONENTS. ADJUST FOR PROPER
OPERATION. REINSTALL FASCIA AND FINISH
WITH COLOR MATCHING PUTTY SO EVERYTHING
IS BACK TO FACTORY SETTING.

They never replaced the"wear bar", they just adjusted the room. The adjustment was not done properly and it continued to rub against the wear bar. Still waiting on repair to be completed. When I first brought it in, they told me the "rollers" probably needed to be replaced (didn't have rollers). then they said they would need to replace the cables because they were frayed and would not last long (they never did that either). They "adjusted" it and it did the same thing. the GLIDE BAR was torn up badly (only extended the slide in and out three times) and they were attempting to glue a new guide bar into place without taking the room completely out of the unit.

I told them I have a trip planned for this weekend, they have had it since the first of June. She said yesterday that they are looking for the part. the wear bar was destroyed and one of the seals is badly damaged as a result of something they did.
__________________

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Dutchmen RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×