Rear spring bolt issues - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Chassis and Running Gear
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-06-2019, 11:05 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
donzinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Memphis
Posts: 1,411
Michigan
Rear spring bolt issues

I installed the wetbolt kit last spring. Since then, I have two left side rear spring bolts break and today discovered the right side rear one had the nut loosen up. I have to make a pretty sharp turning backing maneuver to get into my driveway with plenty of tire sidewall flex. Thinking this may be the cause. Any other thoughts?
__________________

__________________
2014-3950, Full Paint, 17.5" tires, 370W solar, 3100W Magnum inverter w/ AGS, 7500w diesel generator, Micro-Air Easy Start 364 (x3)
2005 Ram 3500 CTD, ATS Aurora 3000, air bags, train horns, Banks hardware, Smarty Jr software, 105 gal aux tank
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:02 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Arlington
Posts: 85
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
I installed the wetbolt kit last spring. Since then, I have two left side rear spring bolts break and today discovered the right side rear one had the nut loosen up. I have to make a pretty sharp turning backing maneuver to get into my driveway with plenty of tire sidewall flex. Thinking this may be the cause. Any other thoughts?
Howdy donzinger,


Since changing to the wet bolts, I have two bolt break one on the far rear spring on the left and right hand side of my trailer. When the one on the right side broke and fell out, it allowed the spring to jump outside of the spring mount, this allowed the axle to shift causing the ruin of the tire on the right side, the left side tire was worn but still usable as a spare.


I found the broken bolt on the left side as I was under the trailer greasing the wet bolts, this bolt was still place but was broken in the middle and I could pull the pieces out with a pliers.


This is only a theory but I think it has merit. The wet bolts are weaker then a regular bolt as they have a hole drilled in the middle nearly through the bolt and then have holes drilled cross-wise to allow the grease to flow in-between the bolt and the brass bushing. The bolt that broke but had not fallen out was cracked in half right where the cross drilled holes where. I also have to make some very tight turns to get into and out of my driveway and some of the places I have camped.



It is my opinion that making such tight turns puts more stress on the wet bolts then they can take without breaking, I am seriously considering replacing the wet bolts with regular grade 8 bolts of the proper size, I would rather have the darn bolt wear and have to be replaced every few years then have another one break and cause more damage possibly a wreak when the axles shifts while going down the road.


Dave


__________________

__________________
2001 Peterbilt 379, towing a 2014 Voltage 3818. Just an old coot driving whats left of his life away looking for sunny days.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:06 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
donzinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Memphis
Posts: 1,411
Michigan
Those were exactly my thoughts as well, Dave. I crank a hard 90 to back into my driveway.
__________________
2014-3950, Full Paint, 17.5" tires, 370W solar, 3100W Magnum inverter w/ AGS, 7500w diesel generator, Micro-Air Easy Start 364 (x3)
2005 Ram 3500 CTD, ATS Aurora 3000, air bags, train horns, Banks hardware, Smarty Jr software, 105 gal aux tank
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:54 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Arlington
Posts: 85
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
Those were exactly my thoughts as well, Dave. I crank a hard 90 to back into my driveway.
Howdy donzinger,


I have to back up hill and around a curve to park my rig in front of our home, oh did I mention this is on a tree lined driveway with a steep drop off if you don't make the curve.


When I leave to go on a trip I have to drive to a culdisack (sp) about a 1/4 mile away and do a turn around so that I can get out of my neighborhood. When making that turn around I can look in the mirrors and see the axles flex and the tries look they are going to get peeled off the rims. Living where I do I don't have any choice its just what I have to do and its HARD on the trailer suspension.


Dave
__________________
2001 Peterbilt 379, towing a 2014 Voltage 3818. Just an old coot driving whats left of his life away looking for sunny days.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:37 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
donzinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Memphis
Posts: 1,411
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy donzinger,


I have to back up hill and around a curve to park my rig in front of our home, oh did I mention this is on a tree lined driveway with a steep drop off if you don't make the curve.


When I leave to go on a trip I have to drive to a culdisack (sp) about a 1/4 mile away and do a turn around so that I can get out of my neighborhood. When making that turn around I can look in the mirrors and see the axles flex and the tries look they are going to get peeled off the rims. Living where I do I don't have any choice its just what I have to do and its HARD on the trailer suspension.


Dave
Understand that. I run load range J tires. They don't flex like the China bombs did, but all that twist goes into the axles and springs now. Your theory gains more merit about the potentially weaker wet bolts.
__________________
2014-3950, Full Paint, 17.5" tires, 370W solar, 3100W Magnum inverter w/ AGS, 7500w diesel generator, Micro-Air Easy Start 364 (x3)
2005 Ram 3500 CTD, ATS Aurora 3000, air bags, train horns, Banks hardware, Smarty Jr software, 105 gal aux tank
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:55 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Arlington
Posts: 85
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
Understand that. I run load range J tires. They don't flex like the China bombs did, but all that twist goes into the axles and springs now. Your theory gains more merit about the potentially weaker wet bolts.
I upgraded to 17.5 wheels and commercial grade tires years ago but I can still see the tires flex when they scrub as I am turning around in the caldisack (sp)
__________________
2001 Peterbilt 379, towing a 2014 Voltage 3818. Just an old coot driving whats left of his life away looking for sunny days.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:22 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
dsol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Calabasas
Posts: 153
California
Way too many suspension issues with these trailers. This is a real shame. Itís not hard to imagine someone getting hurt or worse due to one of these failures.
dsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:18 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
donzinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Memphis
Posts: 1,411
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
I upgraded to 17.5 wheels and commercial grade tires years ago but I can still see the tires flex when they scrub as I am turning around in the caldisack (sp)
Same here on the 17.5's. I only drug the fiver home from the dealer on the Westlake's and they were swapped out before our maiden camping trip.

In case you hadn't looked yet, the bolts are a 9/16" shank with the shank length of 2-1/4". The threads are a 7/16"-20. The bolt necks down at the end of the shanks - I think that is to keep the spring hanger from collapsing against the spring when tightened.
__________________
2014-3950, Full Paint, 17.5" tires, 370W solar, 3100W Magnum inverter w/ AGS, 7500w diesel generator, Micro-Air Easy Start 364 (x3)
2005 Ram 3500 CTD, ATS Aurora 3000, air bags, train horns, Banks hardware, Smarty Jr software, 105 gal aux tank
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:47 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
donzinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Memphis
Posts: 1,411
Michigan
Well, lost yet another wet bolt yesterday on our way to the campsite. Sad...
__________________

__________________
2014-3950, Full Paint, 17.5" tires, 370W solar, 3100W Magnum inverter w/ AGS, 7500w diesel generator, Micro-Air Easy Start 364 (x3)
2005 Ram 3500 CTD, ATS Aurora 3000, air bags, train horns, Banks hardware, Smarty Jr software, 105 gal aux tank
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

« Wiring for Brakes | - »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Dutchmen RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT. The time now is 08:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.