Put Axles on Jack Stands? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Chassis and Running Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2020, 01:53 AM   #1

Florida
Put Axles on Jack Stands?

I have a 2004 Dutchmen 31 FKDS. I've positioned it on a pad at a campsite and never intend to move it. It is sitting on brand new tires. Is okay - or even sensible - to put the axles on 'hard' jack-stands, and store the wheels and brand new tires away out of the weather? If so, does anyone have any advice as to where best to properly support the axles? I do have scissor stabilizer jacks in use and well supported on the 4 corners. Thanks VERY much.

SilverHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 03:21 PM   #2

Arizona
Take the tires off and put the jack stands under the axle at the springs.

azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:41 PM   #3

Illinois
Sure can, just make 100% sure they are level on all 4 corners and solidly in place so there is no chance of one moving. Just keep in mind that everyone moving around inside shakes the suspension, so you need to make sure each and every jack is secure.

If you really want to make sure it wont move, install a set of JT Strong arms or similar. They prevent the front and back from sideways moving.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:47 PM   #4

Florida
Thanks VERY much . . . I'm going to consider doing this. I know it would be a 1/2 day project for me - plus the cost of the jackstands . . . and I guess I'd have to borrow a floor jack . . . but hate to see the tires uselessly exposed and going to waste.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:48 PM   #5

Florida
Thanks very much - tried to respond a couple days ago but something went awry . . .
Old 01-08-2020, 08:42 PM   #6

Michigan
Scissor jacks are not made to support the full weight of the unit. If you are going to remove the wheels, put jack stands under the frame in from the corners and use probably 8 of them. You can support the axles if you want but don't put weight on them. You are leaving this as a permanent installation right?
capeharj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:14 AM   #7

California
Why not leave the wheels on with tire covers and just jack up the trailer just enough to get the tires off the ground? That way if something slipped and god forbid a jack stand fell then the trailer would only drop an inch or so and nothing would break.

Just a thought.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:20 PM   #8

Wisconsin
Jack Stands

My owners manual instructs to jack on the TT frame. The axle manufactures instructions forbid jacking on the axles. Jacking on the springs is unstable and usually not recommended for safety reasons.

The TT will be more stable if you support the TT with substantial jack stands on the frame.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:22 PM   #9

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
Why not leave the wheels on with tire covers and just jack up the trailer just enough to get the tires off the ground? That way if something slipped and god forbid a jack stand fell then the trailer would only drop an inch or so and nothing would break.

Just a thought.
Plus... unless this is being placed on a private piece of land all by itself... leaving the tires on won't make your rig (and by extension, the campground) look like a place for welfare refugees.

I know that might not necessarily be a politically correct notion to express... but if roll into a campground and see a bunch of rigs on jack stands or on cinder blocks w/o wheels, I'm making a u-turn and finding someplace else to stay.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:07 PM   #10

Florida
Jackstand Supports

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions - they are all appreciated. I'm going to make use of this Forum - I hope not too much - and I appreciate being admitted as a member. I'm COMPLETELY new to RV's. I finally got old enough to learn to make us of the knowledge and experience of others. I've carefully read all the 'input,' and I want to essentially summarize what's been provided so I can then ask if I'm understanding everything correctly - and obviously there has been some contradictory advice:

• Do NOT lift, jack, or support the TT by way of an axle, or a spring.
  • Leave the tires/wheels on - with no load on them - and cover them to protect from Sun deterioration (Agreed that even though it's a very remote location, aesthetics matter and the complete remove of the tires/wheels would look awful).
  • If you take the weight off the tires/wheels, do so by way of 8 jackstands under the frame ONLY - 4 along each side of the frame. This provokes a couple questions: Right now, I'd guess over 80% of the total weight of the TT is on the tires (maybe 5% on each scissors stabilizer). If I use 4 jackstands along each side, should I make an effort to evenly distribute the weight across the 8 of them? Obviously the achievement of 'dead level' would be a goal. Would I then not use the scissors stabilizers? Also, it's a LONG way from the current support points (the axles) to the ends of the TT . . . are the frames for TT's 'pre-stressed' at the factory, or do they have some camber built into them at the factory in order to account for the 'bending' of the frame?
  • JT Strong Arms are very effective at reducing camper movement.

Thanks again to all VERY much for your help and input - it is appreciated. Dave Williams
Old 01-12-2020, 01:18 PM   #11

Massachusetts
I would check with camp owners .. taking tires off and putting on permanent mounts might be considered a permanent structure ….is this allowed under town rules ??
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 02:40 PM   #12

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
I would check with camp owners .. taking tires off and putting on permanent mounts might be considered a permanent structure ….is this allowed under town rules ??
Central Massachusetts?? I was raised in Webster!

I agree, by the way, about taking the tires off, besides, someone mentioned something about if it should fall off the jack stands, good idea to have something there to keep it off the ground. Do you intend to anchor it to the ground somehow so the wind doesn't disturb it?
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:26 PM   #13

Georgia
Camping Jacked!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
I have always camped with my tires off the ground and covers on when I am in an "extended stay" situation. With the tires on, but off the ground and covered you really do not draw attention to the fact the tires are off the ground!

I have been a Camp Host and Assistant Camp Host and have always done this.

Now, were you to takes the tires off...I agree with an earlier post: I would turn and run from this campground!
Rockerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:32 PM   #14

Georgia
Taking all 4 Tires off to Replace!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capeharj View Post
Scissor jacks are not made to support the full weight of the unit. If you are going to remove the wheels, put jack stands under the frame in from the corners and use probably 8 of them. You can support the axles if you want but don't put weight on them. You are leaving this as a permanent installation right?
Would "four" jack stands (Rated for the entire weight!) hold the RV while I trade out the tires while parked "level" in my driveway? Hazards....Thoughts????

What is the best way to do this? No "Tire" business around here has enough room to accommodate (Park) an RV for a full tire replacement!!!

I want my "China Bombs' off as soon as I get mt RV back but I really do not want to drive 50 miles round trip TWICE to get this accomplished!

While we are on the subject: I have decided to go with the Goodyear Endurance tires. Thoughts & opinions would be appreciated!
Old 04-01-2020, 06:48 PM   #15

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockerga View Post
Would "four" jack stands (Rated for the entire weight!) hold the RV while I trade out the tires while parked "level" in my driveway? Hazards....Thoughts????

What is the best way to do this? No "Tire" business around here has enough room to accommodate (Park) an RV for a full tire replacement!!!
Here's what I did a few years back:

I first went online and ordered 4 new tires, making sure to request stock no more than 6 months old. Received them about a week later.

I've got the hydraulic auto-level system jacks on my rig.. so, after chocking the right-side tires, and then breaking the lugs loose on the left side 2 wheels... I cheated & used the hydraulic jacks to raise the left-side wheels off the ground, then placed jack-stands under the axle. I then removed the 2 wheels... put them & 2 of my new tires in the bed of the truck, and took them down to WalMart service center. They removed the old tires, mounted & balanced the new ones, and I took em back home. Hung 'em back on the rig... then did the same procedure for the other side.

Took about 2 ½ hours total, with most of that waiting my turn at Walmart. If I remember correctly, they charged me $15/wheel... and I handed the service tech a $20 for his efforts.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:23 PM   #16

Georgia
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Here's what I did a few years back:

I first went online and ordered 4 new tires, making sure to request stock no more than 6 months old. Received them about a week later.

I've got the hydraulic auto-level system jacks on my rig.. so, after chocking the right-side tires, and then breaking the lugs loose on the left side 2 wheels... I cheated & used the hydraulic jacks to raise the left-side wheels off the ground, then placed jack-stands under the axle. I then removed the 2 wheels... put them & 2 of my new tires in the bed of the truck, and took them down to WalMart service center. They removed the old tires, mounted & balanced the new ones, and I took em back home. Hung 'em back on the rig... then did the same procedure for the other side.

Took about 2 ½ hours total, with most of that waiting my turn at Walmart. If I remember correctly, they charged me $15/wheel... and I handed the service tech a $20 for his efforts.
The only problem, but I guess it is no hurry...since we are in this PANDEMIC: Wal-Mart has suspended its Tire Center operations whilst Discount Tire is operating. Wal-Mart is 2 miles down the road, Discount Tire is 25 miles. In addition, I may not get my RV back until after the pandemic the way it is looking so a moot point possibly. The dealer has all the excuses they want to delay my unit!

Yes, I prefer to do ONE SIDE AT A TIME. The thought of my RV sitting in my driveway ("NOT" level" ) on jack stands scares the dickens outta me! Too much of a wind and...OOOOP'S!

Hey Silverhawk: I did not mean to hijack your thread, but it is quite related!
Old 06-18-2020, 08:53 PM   #17

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockerga View Post
The only problem, but I guess it is no hurry...since we are in this PANDEMIC: Wal-Mart has suspended its Tire Center operations whilst Discount Tire is operating. Wal-Mart is 2 miles down the road, Discount Tire is 25 miles. In addition, I may not get my RV back until after the pandemic the way it is looking so a moot point possibly. The dealer has all the excuses they want to delay my unit!

Yes, I prefer to do ONE SIDE AT A TIME. The thought of my RV sitting in my driveway ("NOT" level" ) on jack stands scares the dickens outta me! Too much of a wind and...OOOOP'S!

Hey Silverhawk: I did not mean to hijack your thread, but it is quite related!
I'll add my 2 cents worth - after 4 1/2 years I financially had the means to replace all four tires at once so did so - the china bombs had about 2000 miles on them... first trip out the new tires I had put on 1 deflated and disintegrated... Now looking at over 5K to repair the damage to the frame and axle
Red Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:57 PM   #18

Illinois
What brand tires? If my Coleman doesn't sell, I will probably replace the tires and get a couple more years out of it. Tires have plenty of tread, but they are 6 years old. I keep them covered in the summer and stored indoors during the winter.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 12:01 AM   #19

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
I'll add my 2 cents worth - after 4 1/2 years I financially had the means to replace all four tires at once so did so - the china bombs had about 2000 miles on them... first trip out the new tires I had put on 1 deflated and disintegrated... Now looking at over 5K to repair the damage to the frame and axle
WHOA!!!! What tire brand and rating did you replace the stock tires with? Sounds like a bad Tire shop to me along with a dose of bad luck.
I now have my Goodyear Endurance and love the way they tow and handle the bumps and the road in general. I am very happy, but only 500 miles on them so far. I will be putting another 500 “mountain miles” on them July 6-13 up in the western North Carolina backroads.
Old 06-20-2020, 05:07 PM   #20

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
What brand tires? If my Coleman doesn't sell, I will probably replace the tires and get a couple more years out of it. Tires have plenty of tread, but they are 6 years old. I keep them covered in the summer and stored indoors during the winter.
Mine were purchased and installed at Hibbon Tires in Tulsa as the local Camper land does not sell tires... ( I could say more but right now they have my TT as hostage in service ...) the tires were less than 6 months old and I want to say they were Firestone 10 ply but not sure and won't know until the TT comes home as the paperwork on the tires is inside the package with all the other paperwork the service folks wanted.

Red Badger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jack stands, wheel removal