Place to Jack Up to Grease Wheel Bearings - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2019, 01:34 AM   #21

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
When I bought Dutchmen I asked the same question and was told that the factory was concerned about our safety and didn't want us changing tires along side busy roads.
My response was then why did they put on China bombs AND give me a spare?
Awesome response, I’m drinking a beer in your honor for that one!

Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 02:20 AM   #22

California
I jack my up fifth wheel using the jack in my Ram 3500. I place it under the axle between or next to the u-bolts. I actually put my trailer on 4 jack stands if I plan to park it for more than 2 months.

Will59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:39 PM   #23

South Carolina
One small but important point to remember about bottle jacks. They have to be short enough to fit under the axle with a flat tire. Along with any board or what ever you use to go under the shackles. I use a piece of treated 2X6.

Have fun!
Bill
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:44 AM   #24
nbb

Texas
Thank you for the input!

Well, here is what I ended up doing after considering everyone’s input. I decided to back the rear axle tires (both sides at the same time) up on three levels of Lynx Levelers to take most of the weight off of the front axle. I then put a small floor jack under one side of the front the axle shackle (u-bolts) where it attaches to the leaf spring and jack the tire off of the ground just enough where it would spin freely. I only had to jack it up about an inch or less. Gave it a spin and 3 shots of grease. Let it down and did the other side of the front axle. Of course after that I put the tires for the front axles on the Lynx Leveler blocks and did the rear axles. Worked well and went really fast.

I called Lippert before I did this to see if they thought it was okay and they said it was. Said they just didn’t want you to lift the weight of the trailer while jacking on this position of the axle.

I tried to consider everyone’s input and be careful not to damage anything. I definitely recommend this procedure to minimize any risk to the axles. Get most of the weight off the axle before you jack it at the u-bolt.

Thanks again everyone!
nbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:36 PM   #25

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbb View Post
Well, here is what I ended up doing after considering everyone’s input. I decided to back the rear axle tires (both sides at the same time) up on three levels of Lynx Levelers to take most of the weight off of the front axle. I then put a small floor jack under one side of the front the axle shackle (u-bolts) where it attaches to the leaf spring and jack the tire off of the ground just enough where it would spin freely. I only had to jack it up about an inch or less. Gave it a spin and 3 shots of grease. Let it down and did the other side of the front axle. Of course after that I put the tires for the front axles on the Lynx Leveler blocks and did the rear axles. Worked well and went really fast.

I called Lippert before I did this to see if they thought it was okay and they said it was. Said they just didn’t want you to lift the weight of the trailer while jacking on this position of the axle.

I tried to consider everyone’s input and be careful not to damage anything. I definitely recommend this procedure to minimize any risk to the axles. Get most of the weight off the axle before you jack it at the u-bolt.

Thanks again everyone!
Do you pull the trailer up on the levelers? Seems to me it would take 12 of the lynx levelers to get both sides up to level 3. I only have 10 unless I buy another set of 10. Doesn't the equalizer sort of defeat the purpose of raising the wheels on the axle with the levelers (i.e. leave a lot of weight on the opposite axle)?
Old 05-12-2019, 10:25 PM   #26
nbb

Texas
Three Lynx Leveler Blocks

My apologies. I was not clear. I should have said that I put the wheels on Lynx Leveler blocks stacked three high ( 3 blocks) on each side. Took most of the load off the other axle making for a short easy jack up.

nbb is offline   Reply With Quote