New Tires for Dodge Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Chassis and Running Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2019, 12:22 AM   #1
nbb

Texas
New Tires for Dodge Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

I currently have Primewell Valera H/T P275/60R20 114T's. I tow a Dutchmen Aerolite 25RKSL that has an unloaded weight of 5,000#. Loaded we are probably about 5,600 to 5,800. We only have been taking short trips and have been getting along fine. We are going to start taking longer trips and since our tread is down to 8/32nd's, so we want to put on new and heavier duty tires. I'd like to hear what type of tires others are running with their half ton trucks for towing at about my loaded trailer weight. I'm looking for experiences and recommendations. I would like to go to an LT "E" or "D" tires but am struggling with the "E" being a bit of overkill based on what I am towing and driving. I don't want to change from a 20" or go higher than 60. (As a side note, I put Goodyear Endurance "E" tires on my TT.)

Thank you in advance!

nbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:28 PM   #2

Texas
If It was me I would be looking at the Michelin Defender LTX. Has a 115 load rating, 70K tread life. Should make a very good half ton tow vehicle tire.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:26 PM   #3

Arizona
On my 2012 Silverado I ran BFG 10 ply and was pretty happy. While I know a lot of people swear by Michelin I won't own another set. I find them very noisy on my wife's Equinox and they were worn out on my Silverado before 30K miles. They seem over priced for the value received.
RichH
Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:10 AM   #4
nbb

Texas
Thank you both! Right now after doing some more research I am considering the Michelin Defender LTX M/S in the LT265/60R20 121/118R. Would be a little narrower and smaller circumference tire than my current P275/60R20 tires but would give me more traction, a little better ratio on my rear end and a 10 ply E rated tire that would give me firmer handling and control. I realize it is a bit of overkill for a 1/2 ton but the 10 ply E rating is just going to give me better control. I have the E rated Goodyear Endurance tires on my TT.
nbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:58 AM   #5

Texas
Tires for RAM

I recommend MichelinDefender LTX M/S

They are quiet and last longer than the reported warranty.

BigRedGrandPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:28 PM   #6

Texas
I would NOT recommend Toyo tires. They came on my '18 RAM Rebel and they're terrible. They wore out in less than 30,000 miles; they were soft tires and I didn't tow much using them. I'd constantly lose traction on wet pavement once on the highway gently changing lanes.

I've been using the Dick Cepek trail tires with good results but probably not the look / performance you're going for.

My Super Duty had Goodyear Wrangler tires and those held up well with the Kevlar reinforcement.

JerryTX is offline   Reply With Quote