New Shoes - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2015, 01:37 PM   #1

Nevada
New Shoes

Well after 9 months of taking delivery of my Voltage V3005 and hitting 18,000 miles it's time to replace the Westlake tires.

Did not have one problem with these tires but wasn't impressed with total mileage

Replaced with Carlisle ST 235 85 16 F load range.

I will keep you all posted with the results as we put on an average of two thousand miles per month.

Our unit fully loaded is around 14,000 lbs plus.

Looked at many different brands and like the idea of a higher load range without having to change out rims

Was surprised when installer indicated that the stock rims were rated for 110 lbs psi. These tires have a max inflation of 95 lbs psi

Cheers

Soccerloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:51 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Glad to hear the Westlakes stood up. My local tire company likes them for trailers, and that is what came on my Coleman. I do plan to go up to a Load range D with the next set, that means the Maxxis M8008. They are the only one that seems to have a D in the 14". It will give me an extra 700# of wiggle room. Current Westlakes fully loaded I have less than 200# of spare capacity. So far I haven't maxed my load capacity out though, we try real hard to leave things at home we don't really need. But as we plan longer trips that is harder to do compared to a quick run up to the lake for a weekend.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:00 PM   #3

Nevada
With all the chat on the forum I was always expecting a major disaster. I always checked pressure and always did visual inspection at each fuel stop. I might mentioned during the 9 months of using the west lakes with their nitrogen fill they maintained pressure for the whole time. This could spark another debate on using nitrogen. I paid $32 on my new tires for nitrogen. Know it's a bit of a rip off since nitrogen is cheap but will be interested to see if tires maintain pressure like the west lakes
Old 07-31-2015, 07:17 PM   #4

Maryland
I have the westlakes as well and so far so good, have about 9000 miles so far. The only problem I had was one rim had a pin hole in it. After a week it would lose about 10 psi, go down to 40 psi after a month but it wouldn't go any lower. I also balanced mine as soon as I got my camper, I think that helps in the life of them.
hilbilydavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:03 PM   #5

Nevada
My last toyhauler probably suffered from a pin hole or something. Always having to add air. Always amazed with the voltage that each time I did a pressure they ere right on 90lbs. One additional
feature I failed to mention with F rated Carlisle tires is a speed rating of 75mph. I am not one to speed but on some of the western interstates speed limits are between 75 and 80 mph. I might go 70 and feel ok