Greenball Trailer Tires from Costco - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Chassis and Running Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2016, 07:09 PM   #1

Missouri
Greenball Trailer Tires from Costco

Shopping at Costco today I found they are selling Greenball Trailer Tires. Does anyone have any experience with them? Looks like a good price and deal.
I am not wanting to open a can of worms on this subject, I am doing my due diligence during my research. So no need to TELL me what tires I should get!.. LOL
The thing I like about Costco is they all ways stand behind their product.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:47 PM   #2

Colorado
I replaced my Westlake, Chinese tires with Goodyear Marathon tires.

Recommended by Manager at Discount Tire...also known as Son-in-Law. Says they are the tire they recommend for trailers.

Haven't rolled them yet...but they sure look a lot better!!

Pirate

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:39 AM   #3

British Columbia
Eric,

I am not going to suggest one tire over another, just how I go about evaluating a tire.

Understanding that an ST Tires only purpose in life is to carry the weight and follow the tow vehicle, you want the tire that has the stiffest sidewall and the hardest rubber compound you can find. Stiff sidewalls and hard rubber compounds equal less tire squirm and less heat build up.

Now to the what I look for.

Sidewall, how much does the sidewall deflect when I grip the bead with my fingers and push on it with my thumbs. How much does the tire collapse when I push down on it.

Tread compound, how soft is it when I squeeze it between my thumb and index finger.

Once I find the tire with the stiffest sidewall and hardest rubber compund I go up at least one Load Range from the tires shown on the decal on the camper.

The only real way you can use my method is if you can do a side-by-side comparison. So spend a Saturday going to tire stores that sll more than one brand of ST tires.

Jim
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:53 AM   #4

Nevada
While they weren't trailer tires, I bought 4 Greenball ATV tires for my Can Am Commander from Costco and they are hell for stout. A lot better than the factory Carlisle's. On the other hand, I run Gladiator 14 ply on my 3805, and really like them.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:20 PM   #5

Arizona
Plenty of threads about not buying any trailer tire made in China; they are sub-standard.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:24 PM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
Plenty of threads about not buying any trailer tire made in China; they are sub-standard.
Many are, because they are not built to the accepted ST tire standards, unfortunately these are the tires that the manufacturers chose to put on their product. The tires that Dutchmen put on my trailer were marginal at best, they were just enough tire to match the tire data plate. The ST tires that I replaced the stock tires with give me a 6000 pound margine for error.

However there are Chinese made tires that are built as they should be, with larger polyester cord and steel belts. When properly maintained they can and do perform as intended.

Greenball and Gladiator tires are two brands made in China for US distributors. Both of these companies supply highway transport and off road tires in the mining industries. If these products were so sub-standard, I doubt that the mine 10 miles down the road from me would be investing $25-30K per, when they are buying hundreds of tires a year.

I am happy to pay an extra $15-20 per tire for 2 Load Ranges above stock. The end result is the same as spending a wad of cash on larger tires and wheels that can handle the type of air pressure reqiured to get an LT tire that meets the tire data plate.

I for one am glad I didn't fall for the swap to LT tires or your going to die rhetoric.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:15 AM   #7

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Many are, because they are not built to the accepted ST tire standards, unfortunately these are the tires that the manufacturers chose to put on their product. The tires that Dutchmen put on my trailer were marginal at best, they were just enough tire to match the tire data plate. The ST tires that I replaced the stock tires with give me a 6000 pound margine for error.

However there are Chinese made tires that are built as they should be, with larger polyester cord and steel belts. When properly maintained they can and do perform as intended.

Greenball and Gladiator tires are two brands made in China for US distributors. Both of these companies supply highway transport and off road tires in the mining industries. If these products were so sub-standard, I doubt that the mine 10 miles down the road from me would be investing $25-30K per, when they are buying hundreds of tires a year.

I am happy to pay an extra $15-20 per tire for 2 Load Ranges above stock. The end result is the same as spending a wad of cash on larger tires and wheels that can handle the type of air pressure reqiured to get an LT tire that meets the tire data plate.

I for one am glad I didn't fall for the swap to LT tires or your going to die rhetoric.
Thanks!!
Is there actually a ST Trailer Tire made in the USA? I know everyone raves about Maxxis and Goodyear, but my findings are they are made overseas... Go Figure. I think I am going to give the Greenball a try. I will move up from a load D to a E.
Mine came from the factory with the West Lakes. The tire wear and performance has been fine, but I have 2 years and 11K miles on them. With all the reading I have done, apparently I am lucky to be alive! LOL I do have two long trips this year, and for under $500 I think it will be worth the peace of mind.

2014 Denali 289RK
Old 01-28-2016, 02:28 AM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNSTL View Post
Thanks!!
Is there actually a ST Trailer Tire made in the USA? I know everyone raves about Maxxis and Goodyear, but my findings are they are made overseas... Go Figure. I think I am going to give the Greenball a try. I will move up from a load D to a E.
Mine came from the factory with the West Lakes. The tire wear and performance has been fine, but I have 2 years and 11K miles on them. With all the reading I have done, apparently I am lucky to be alive! LOL I do have two long trips this year, and for under $500 I think it will be worth the peace of mind.

I think I bought one of the last sets of Made in the USA, Titan radial ST tires for my cargo trailer a few years back.

You can never go wrong by going up in Load Range.

I don't have anybody carrying Greenball tires, so I'll be interested in hearing how the sidewall test compares to the Westlakes.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:01 PM   #9

Missouri
I just called Greenball to get more info. I thought I would share...
Tire Size ST225/75/R15.
Load Range E
Speed Rated at 75MPH
10 Ply
Here is the Biggie!! Made in Indonesian.. not China
Costco Price $94.99ea. Free delivery.
Costco website says that they will only replace tires of the exact size and load range. Cost $14.00 per tire.
I am going from a load range of D to E. Lets see how this works out. Hopefully they will change them, if not I will have to go to another tire store to get them changed out.

2014 Denali 289RK
Old 01-28-2016, 10:48 PM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
I just called Greenball to get more info. I thought I would share...
Tire Size ST225/75/R15.
Load Range E
Speed Rated at 75MPH
10 Ply
Here is the Biggie!! Made in Indonesian.. not China
Costco Price $94.99ea. Free delivery.
Costco website says that they will only replace tires of the exact size and load range. Cost $14.00 per tire.
I am going from a load range of D to E. Lets see how this works out. Hopefully they will change them, if not I will have to go to another tire store to get them changed out.
I wouldn't think they would have a problem with in increase in load range as long as the tire size is the same. I know my local Costco won't install any tire that is a different size than the door plate states.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:34 AM   #11

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post

Are we not talking ST trailer tires? Do any of us use $25K industrial mining tires on our trailers? I've used Michelin LT's for the past 4 years and have towed coast-to-coast several times with zero tire issues. Leaving Sunday for Florida. I just know they work. And they are not larger tires and wheels than stock.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:56 PM   #12

Missouri
Greenball Fails!!!
My tires arrived today, glad I got them from Costco, because they are going directly back.
As I stated, I called Greenball for more info, and the information was WRONG.
They said 10 ply, it is actually 8 Ply?? (Tread 6 ply and side wall 2 Ply, I guess that makes it a 8 ply)
They said made in Indonesia, its made in China.
One of the tires had a big gouge in the sidewall from shipping.

Not even going to play around with these.
Back to square one... Damn it! Probably going to go ahead and not be cheap and go with the Maxxis...

2014 Denali 289RK
Old 02-02-2016, 07:24 PM   #13

British Columbia
That's the problem buying online, far to often the description is incorrect.

I just order new Gladiators to replace the ones the got shredded when the shackles broke on the way home from Alaska last year. They served me well for 25k miles from Newfoundland to Alaska and were looking like they were going to do another 25k. They saw their fair share of rough dirt roads and bad pavement.

Compare them to the Maxxis if you can find both at the same tire store.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:32 PM   #14

Washington
Quote:
Greenball Fails!!!
My tires arrived today, glad I got them from Costco, because they are going directly back.
As I stated, I called Greenball for more info, and the information was WRONG.
They said 10 ply, it is actually 8 Ply?? (Tread 6 ply and side wall 2 Ply, I guess that makes it a 8 ply)
They said made in Indonesia, its made in China.
One of the tires had a big gouge in the sidewall from shipping.

Not even going to play around with these.
Back to square one... Damn it! Probably going to go ahead and not be cheap and go with the Maxxis...
I need new tires for our 2005 28BH FW and I think I'm going with Maxxis. I would really like to get LT tires instead of ST but I have 15" rims that are rated at only 75psi max. So for LT tires I would have to go to 16" rims. To go up to LR E ST tires (80 psi) I would have to get new rims as well. So I think I'll try a set of maxxis LR D on the stock rims. I think I will also get Good Sam or AAA for peace of mind.

WanderingWades is offline   Reply With Quote