Greenball Tow-master tire failures - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Chassis and Running Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2014, 10:14 AM   #21
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
This article just confirms that problems are caused by misuse of the product and probably more than people admit.
Yes, there is a human factor involved. However when you have an informed consumer and still have issues it runs much deeper than that.

Which is brought on by the RV manufacturer's installing tires that are very marginal. Kost is King.

I commented earlier about the tires on my Coleman. At GVW they are within 95-98% of rated load. That is unacceptable on just about ANY tire. You can't blame that on the consumer. I religiously check my tire pressure before every trip and at every fuel stop. I am fully aware that ST tires have a speed rating of 65 mph. FWIW I typically tow at 60-62 mph that is the sweet spot for our truck. We don't load our trailer to GVW (normally).

Until you upgrade your tires to something much better there are only two scenarios... those that have had blow outs and those that are going to have blow outs.

My plan is to upgrade to 15" rims and a D rated QUALITY tire, it will cost me ~$450 depending on which wheels I get. But then I will have what the manufacturer SHOULD have put on there to begin with.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:45 PM   #22

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Yes, there is a human factor involved. However when you have an informed consumer and still have issues it runs much deeper than that.

Which is brought on by the RV manufacturer's installing tires that are very marginal. Kost is King.

I commented earlier about the tires on my Coleman. At GVW they are within 95-98% of rated load. That is unacceptable on just about ANY tire. You can't blame that on the consumer. I religiously check my tire pressure before every trip and at every fuel stop. I am fully aware that ST tires have a speed rating of 65 mph. FWIW I typically tow at 60-62 mph that is the sweet spot for our truck. We don't load our trailer to GVW (normally).

Until you upgrade your tires to something much better there are only two scenarios... those that have had blow outs and those that are going to have blow outs.

My plan is to upgrade to 15" rims and a D rated QUALITY tire, it will cost me ~$450 depending on which wheels I get. But then I will have what the manufacturer SHOULD have put on there to begin with.

Aaron
Aaron, I agee that the maunfactures use marginal tires, I have said that numerous times bare bones minimum with just about everything that goes into a camper.

The people that check their tires religilously are in the minority, take a look when folks pack up to leave a camp site, not many even look at their tires, never mind checking the air. When you stop for fuel how often do you see anyone checking their tires.

I suspect that most of the campers that fly past me on the interstates when I'm cursing in the 60-65 range are riding on their marginal ST tires.

I've never had a "'blowout" in 55 years, flat tires from nails yes, catastrophic failure nope. I was taught a routine way back when I was a pump jockey, check tires everytime you stop.

When we travel the maximum that we drive is 2 hours, then stop to let our dogs have a break. My tires get a looking at 5-6 times a day, the air gets checked with a gauge every morning, I use my "tire hammer" make sure they all have that nice sharp ping. Then I run my hands over the sidewalls to check if there are any cuts, bulges or abrasions.

The one time that I had a tire problem I found it well before there was a problem. It was with a US made Gooryear Marathon on my old Airstream, the sidewall had a bulge. Put the spare on and continued home.

It's too bad that the manufacturers are not held to account for safety to the same degree that the auto makers are.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:55 PM   #23

Arizona
I run Chinese tires (Goodyear Marathons) on my boat trailer and have had 2 separate blowouts that caused damage to the trailer's steel fenders. I always check my tire pressures and kept my speed at 65 or under. Since my boat is now stored at the lake I'll leave the tires on it.

For those who think misuse causes blowouts please explain the tires that have blown out while not in use. I observed one mounted as a spare on the back bumper of a 5th wheel at Lazydays - Tucson. The spare had a protective, decorative vinyl cover. It was evident that the Chinese tire blew while mounted as a spare and under the cover. How does misuse cause that to happen? I wish now I had taken a picture to show how the tire blew a hole in the cover.

I've talked to people who have had spares tires blow while mounted under there trailer and have never had contact with the pavement. Misuse?

I spent $2100 on my brand new Voltage to replace the factory Chinese-made Westlake tires with Michelin XPS Ribs (made in the UK). That's how much faith I have in the Chinese made ST tire.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #24

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfelliott View Post
DesertRat, would you mind sharing the brands of your wheels and tires as well as where you purchased them?
Have posted this before but got my wheels from here
17.5x6.75 HWT Series 07 Aluminum Trailer Wheel, 8x6.50 Center Cap Included

Tires I have 2 plus spare that are Michelins that are used bought from ebay. Other 2 are Hankooks new I bought from ebay also. Nice thing from ebay was free shipping & 6 months same a cash through Paypal.

New Hankook TH10 215 75 R17 5 100 16PR TL BSW Tires | eBay

2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote