From China bomb tires to Chinese HWT wheels - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Chassis and Running Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2013, 12:09 AM   #1

Oklahoma
From China bomb tires to Chinese HWT wheels

Has anyone had to have a HWT Chinese wheel warranteed?
I have one wheel that has two extremely small holes that has been leaking before I purchased the rig in February of this year.

I'll be checking tomorrow with the dealer to see what the dance is to get the wheel replaced under warranty. I get the feeling the response will be to go to the manufature for replacement much as one would do with the China bombs or a furnace or whatever the dealer shoves off as being a manufacture's responsibility.

The wheel is stamped 'Made in China' but HWT Hi Spec wheels' company is in Indiana. This already feels like a lost cause but a few phones calls might bring some results. The wheel costs 132 bucks so it won't break the bank but I shouldn't have to eat the cost as it is a defect and not damage.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:45 AM   #2

Arizona
That is a shame about the wheel. Slow leaks can be aggravating. How did you determine it was the wheel? I friend of mine had 2 leaking wheels on his Cyclone Toy Hauler. It was way out of warranty so dealer fix was not an option. It is about 5 years old and he could not match the wheels. He bought two that were close and put them on opposite sides. Then a third wheel started leaking. OUCH! He now has 4 black steel wheels.

Now back to your problem. I would think that it would be covered under warranty. Good luck and keep us informed.

arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:13 AM   #3

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
That is a shame about the wheel. Slow leaks can be aggravating. How did you determine it was the wheel? I friend of mine had 2 leaking wheels on his Cyclone Toy Hauler. It was way out of warranty so dealer fix was not an option. It is about 5 years old and he could not match the wheels. He bought two that were close and put them on opposite sides. Then a third wheel started leaking. OUCH! He now has 4 black steel wheels.

Now back to your problem. I would think that it would be covered under warranty. Good luck and keep us informed.
After adding air to this particular tire several times I decided something was leaking so it went to a tire shop. The first shop replaced the bolt in valve stem and it still leaked. I tried another tire shop and they couldn't find a leak but they were concentrating on the tire. I finally convinced them to put SOME air in the thing and dunk it.
We finally saw the smallest of bubbles, more like a fizzle in a carbonated drink. We put a radial tube it in to get me going again.
It leaked also so I thought maybe the tube got pinched so I put on the spare and brought the wheel and tire with me to Arizona. I dropped the wheel off at Discount Tire for the problem. I watched as the tire dude call over another tire dude and they pulled it off the machine and sat it in the corner. I went out and asked them what the deal was and I was read the riot act about putting a radial tube in a radial tubless tire. In the end it was the coporate CYA that wouldn't let them touch it.
What I thought was one pin hole turned out to be two. They didn't find a hole in the tube because CYA rules don't allow for inflation of tubes in excess of 5 or 10 pounds. Even if they did find a hole they couldn't patch it because they don't have tube patches, only tire patches. I would have had to take it to a M/C or bicycle shop for a patch.
So I guess I'll make some calls and see what warranty can do for me. Now I just have to determine what, if any, the offset of the wheel is.
Strange thing is, I pulled the rig from Denver to Benson with that tire being low, no problem with the China bombs, also a 15k trip with the tube in it with no problems. I will replace the OEM tires as soon as I can because I will be out of warranty soon and I don't want to foot the bill for body damage due to the tires.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:24 AM   #4

Arizona
Sounds like you had fun with that leak. My friend went though about the same thing with his first wheel leak. After that it got easier. Not saying you will have a problem with a second wheel. Good luck.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:40 AM   #5

Oklahoma
One more leaky wheel and you'll see a beautiful Dutchman toy hauler on the road with some funky old rusty butt steel wheels on it.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:05 AM   #6

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
I friend of mine had 2 leaking wheels on his Cyclone Toy Hauler. It was way out of warranty so dealer fix was not an option. It is about 5 years old and he could not match the wheels. He bought two that were close and put them on opposite sides. Then a third wheel started leaking. OUCH! He now has 4 black steel wheels.
I take back what I said about 3 wheels leaking. He only had 2 leaking. I just talked to him and he decided if 50% were bad he would just replace them. Sorry about the bad facts.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:16 AM   #7

Oklahoma
No problem, I'm sure it's cold up there in Quartzsites tonight.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #8

Oklahoma
Sooooooooooo, the dance begins!!! First call to the dealer in CO that says to call Dutchman that says to call Lionshead Tire and Wheel.
The infamous Brenda sends a pdf warranty form and requests photos of said pin hole, tire and wheel and manfacturer's stamp.

We shall see.........................