Found the TIRE INFLATION CHART GoodYear Endurance - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2019, 04:50 AM   #21

South Carolina
Well, I called Good Year Customer Service. 800 321 2136

I asked the question: "Should I use the sidewall marked maximum tire pressure on my GOODYEAR ENDURANCE TIRES, if my trailer weight is 1250 pounds per tire." The answer was no. The tires would be overinflated. The instruction was to use the published chart and apply tire pressure according to weight.

Anyone can call and see what answer they get.

Old 11-09-2019, 02:43 PM   #22

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post

I asked the question: "Should I use the sidewall marked maximum tire pressure on my GOODYEAR ENDURANCE TIRES, if my trailer weight is 1250 pounds per tire." The answer was no. The tires would be overinflated. The instruction was to use the published chart and apply tire pressure according to weight.

OK. So we have a published Goodyear RV guide as I referenced in my Mar 29 blog post that says

"Unless trying to resolve poor ride quality problems with an RV trailer, it is recommended that trailer tires be inflated to the pressure indicated on the sidewall of the tire. Trailer tires experience significant lateral (side-to-side) loads due to vehicle sway from uneven roads or passing vehicles. Using the inflation pressure engraved on the sidewall will provide optimum load carrying capacity and minimize heat build-up."

And we have a customer service person who probably doesn't have much experience with RVs telling you something different than the approved Goodyear document.

I choose to go with the published document.

You can go with the phone call if you wish.

Retired Tire Design Engineer (40 years). I write a blog on RV tire applications www.RVTireSafety.NET and give seminars on RV tire application across the US. Serve on Technical Advisory Panel for FMCA. I am scheduled to give seminars on Genealogy and RV Tire Safety in March at FMCA in Tuscon AZ on 25 & 26.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:48 AM   #23

South Carolina
I am not going anywhere yet. I am trying to get as much info as possible to make an educated decision. To my simplistic mind "over inflating" a tire is just wrong. But trying to keep and open mind

I was actually expecting the Good Year Rep to confirm the information in your quoted document. I was surprised when it was not. With further probing I was informed that they get this question at least once a day. hmmm.

So, maybe I will call again and have then explain this particular paragraph.

""Unless trying to resolve poor ride quality problems with an RV trailer, it is recommended that trailer tires be inflated to the pressure indicated on the sidewall of the tire. Trailer tires experience significant lateral (side-to-side) loads due to vehicle sway from uneven roads or passing vehicles. Using the inflation pressure engraved on the sidewall will provide optimum load carrying capacity and minimize heat build-up.""

Fun Fun
Old 11-10-2019, 03:55 PM   #24

Ohio
Quote:
I am not going anywhere yet. I am trying to get as much info as possible to make an educated decision. To my simplistic mind "over inflating" a tire is just wrong. But trying to keep and open mind

I was actually expecting the Good Year Rep to confirm the information in your quoted document. I was surprised when it was not. With further probing I was informed that they get this question at least once a day. hmmm.

So, maybe I will call again and have then explain this particular paragraph.

""Unless trying to resolve poor ride quality problems with an RV trailer, it is recommended that trailer tires be inflated to the pressure indicated on the sidewall of the tire. Trailer tires experience significant lateral (side-to-side) loads due to vehicle sway from uneven roads or passing vehicles. Using the inflation pressure engraved on the sidewall will provide optimum load carrying capacity and minimize heat build-up.""

Fun Fun

Let us know what they say. I know I'm interested given that I am quoting GY in my tire blog.
Retired Tire Design Engineer (40 years). I write a blog on RV tire applications www.RVTireSafety.NET and give seminars on RV tire application across the US. Serve on Technical Advisory Panel for FMCA. I am scheduled to give seminars on Genealogy and RV Tire Safety in March at FMCA in Tuscon AZ on 25 & 26.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:40 PM   #25

Tennessee
Quote:

If they're telling you to run 25-30psi based on that chart, that's terrible and dangerous advice. I highly doubt their legal department would approve
Old 11-11-2019, 07:51 PM   #26

South Carolina
I intend to follow up with them.

See what response I get this time.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:59 AM   #27

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Let us know what they say. I know I'm interested given that I am quoting GY in my tire blog.

I called again today. I received the same answer. Do not use the maximum pressure on the sidewall. Use the chart to set the tire pressure according to the weight carried by the tire.

I then asked why the Good Year web site indicated otherwise. I quoted and gave the URL for that paragraph. This particular rep put me on hold for about 15 minutes. Came back and reiterated the initial recommendation. As to the web page was told it is being passed up the chain for review. This info came from a product manager.

I also was given a number for a regional rep in my area. I have not made that call yet.

Will advise.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:24 PM   #28

Arizona
Quote:
Not sure what you mean? The tires are rated for a maximum 60 PSI (non dual) for 2040 lbs of weight.
I'm looking at the ST235/80R16, which shows 50psi to carry max 2600 lbs per tire. At max load my tires are at 2600 pounds each.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:46 AM   #29

California
@azdryheat. I ended up getting the 85 aspect ratio which is maybe an inch taller so half an inch of ride height because that tire has a higher weight capacity and I have a 3305 which is a two axle TH so significantly more weight on each tire than you have. Oddly enough the Westlake’s that came on the rig were 80’s but the spare is an 85 and when I called Dutchmen to confirm the size would work they first said not to go with the 85’s and stay original so when I asked if that meant I should not use their provided spare they put me on hold and came back and said 85’s were fine.

The benefit is that I now have 1/2 an inch higher clearance and I will take anything I can get as far as going in and out of driveways goes as I have always scraped on them in the past.

So my message is if you want greater clearance you might consider the 85’s. Some food for thought anyway.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:19 PM   #30

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
I'm looking at the ST235/80R16, which shows 50psi to carry max 2600 lbs per tire. At max load my tires are at 2600 pounds each.

Ok.
Old 12-21-2019, 04:16 PM   #31

South Carolina
Local Good Year Rep never returned my call.
After the holidays I may try rattling some more cages. hehe

And now a word from our sponsor
Check my next post.
Old 12-21-2019, 04:17 PM   #32

South Carolina
Article from Haggerty....Chinese Tires

And other stuff. No opinion from me, just offering up as info.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...1_Weekend_News

Go all the way down to opinions. This one is good.

"Then there’s the guy who read that most accidents occur within five miles of home, so he moved."