Floor jack for lIfting - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2019, 12:52 AM   #1

Indiana
Floor jack for lIfting

I have a 4 ton floor jack and jack stands. Can I safely use this to jack up one axle at a time to check the brakes and bearings on my 3970 Voltage? I really don't want to go out and buy a large bottle jack if I do not need to. I also think the floor jack is more stable and the jack stands better, although I am unsure of the weight on each axle. But, here is my calculations. My unit is about 26000 pounds fully loaded. If I split that between the three axles it comes to about 8700 pounds per axle and then about 4350 per tire. It appears the floor jack and jack stands should be plenty big enough. Even though these are rudimentary calculations, I would seem to be plenty ok with 8000lb. floor jack and jack stands. Right?

Rhoadzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:23 AM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoadzie View Post
I have a 4 ton floor jack and jack stands. Can I safely use this to jack up one axle at a time to check the brakes and bearings on my 3970 Voltage? I really don't want to go out and buy a large bottle jack if I do not need to. I also think the floor jack is more stable and the jack stands better, although I am unsure of the weight on each axle. But, here is my calculations. My unit is about 26000 pounds fully loaded. If I split that between the three axles it comes to about 8700 pounds per axle and then about 4350 per tire. It appears the floor jack and jack stands should be plenty big enough. Even though these are rudimentary calculations, I would seem to be plenty ok with 8000lb. floor jack and jack stands. Right?

A floor jack has wheels that allows it to roll forward as the jack rises. If you are using it on a smooth hard surface it will work just fine. If you are using it in the yard or rocks the jack won't roll, instead it will get stuck and the jack pad will work its way from beneath what is being lifted. That gives you a good chance to drop the rig and drive the jack pad through the floor.

A bottle jack is safer if the surface isn't smooth and lessens the chance of damage.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:21 AM   #3

Michigan
I have a 3950 and have routinely lifted the unit using the hydraulic leveling jacks for maintenance with no issues. I just use jackstands for safety.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:35 PM   #4

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoadzie View Post

Keep in mind 10 to 15% of your total weight will be on the tongue which in the case of a fifth wheel will be the landing gear up front so you actually have less weight on your axles than you calculated. You likely have somewhere between 2600 and 4000 pounds not on the axles so you are safer than you think.