Factory Wheel Bearing Grease Brand and Label Used on 2018 Dutchmen Aerolites - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Chassis and Running Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2017, 12:53 AM   #1
nbb

Texas
Question Factory Wheel Bearing Grease Brand and Label Used on 2018 Dutchmen Aerolites

Does anyone know exactly what brand and label was used at the factory for the wheel bearings on the 2018 Dutchmen Aerolites? I have a 2520RKSL (which we absolutely love ) that was manufactured in June 2017. Would like to know so I can match it when I grease my wheel bearings. I don't want to mix greases as that can lead to problems as greases are somewhat different by brand and label within each brand.

nbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 02:23 AM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbb View Post
Does anyone know exactly what brand and label was used at the factory for the wheel bearings on the 2018 Dutchmen Aerolites? I have a 2520RKSL (which we absolutely love ) that was manufactured in June 2017. Would like to know so I can match it when I grease my wheel bearings. I don't want to mix greases as that can lead to problems as greases are somewhat different by brand and label within each brand.
The normal practice for greasing wheel bearings is to clean them completely, wipe out the inside of the hubs and replace the seals. RV bearings aren't anything special so a good quality wheel bearing grease will suffice.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:16 PM   #3

I agree with Sundancer. Any good quality grease will work. I use Lucas red. No problems here.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:33 PM   #4

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman View Post
I agree with Sundancer. Any good quality grease will work. I use Lucas red. No problems here.

x2 Make sure you put enough grease in to reach the inner bearing. The bearing buddy will put pressure on the grease "pool" and force the grease towards the inner bearing (but not always reach it). There is also a space between the two bearings on the hub that will contain grease. Make sure you use a quality grease since the "cheaper" stuff will cake and harden.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 02:09 PM   #5

Arizona
Use Lubrimatic wheel bearing grease. It is a polyurea-based conventional grease that mixes well with most greases. Dexter has their own grease with a lithium base. My axles were two years old when I repacked the bearings and there was plenty of grease in there from the factory. I don't recommend adding grease as it's too easy to force the grease past the inner seal and onto the brake shoes.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:29 AM   #6
nbb

Texas
Thanks, Everyone!

It sounds like it is best to not grease between annual wheel bearing repackings (I was planning on greasing a couple of shots on the zerks now and then before my first repack) due to the potential to have it leak through the rear seal and get on the brake surfaces. The agreement I see is to use a good quality wheel bearing grease which I planned on doing when I repack. One thing I know for sure is you never mix different greases so I won't grease my wheel bearings until after the first repacking since I don't know what they used.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:33 AM   #7

Arizona
Since we don't back our trailers into the water, greasing the bearings isn't a big deal.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:49 AM   #8
nbb

Texas
My First Travel Trailer

This is my first TT, so I'm probably a bit nervous bordering OCD about doing every thing just right.