Extended Warranty - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Chassis and Running Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2016, 09:44 PM   #1

Illinois
Extended Warranty

With the Voltage going out of warranty, and since I'm certainly no "Pirate", "Donzinger", "Aaron", etc., etc., I pulled the trigger on an extended service plan from XtraRide. 84 months, $100 deductible, transferable, and reimbursement for unsued portion, covers everything Good Sam did, plus, including tires, and "consequential damage" (damage caused by a non-covered part to a covered part). Pricey, but peace of mind for a guy with two thumbs.
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:43 PM   #2

British Columbia
Rusty,

You have to do what makes you comfortable. When I got burned with the first one, I said never again.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:08 AM   #3

Pennsylvania
Make sure you keep theXtraRide plan paperwork in a secure place. If you need to end the policy early (because of trade-in), XtraRide requires you to send the original plan paperwork to the selling dealer, who will then contact XtraRide to terminate the policy. By the time you get that all accomplished, you could lose reimbursement for a couple months - and of course it is prorated. Quite a hassle for a 5 year policy with two years remaining that I never made a single claim.
President, Susquehanna Valley Chapter Shelby Dodge Auto Club (SDAC)
Denviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:25 AM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
To each their own. Everyone has their own comfort level and you have to do what works for you. Never met an extended warranty that I liked, or warranty for that matter.

One of my tasks at work is to review warranties for stuff. A very high percentage of them are written to protect the manufacturer or the warranty writer. There are people that benefit from them and there are many more that don't. It is all about the odds. They are betting you won't use it and you are betting that you will.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:48 AM   #5

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
...Pricey, but peace of mind for a guy with two thumbs.
Rusty
Just curious... how pricey?

I'm usually a "don't buy an extended warranty" guy too... but I gotta tell you, that was before I went on a retiree's fixed income. My Good Sam policy has bailed me out 2 or 3 times so far from having to really upset my budget... the latest being when the hot water heater developed that leak & needed replacement. And that's all I really want it for anyway... the "big ticket items".

Most things... yeah, I can take care of them myself. But if I'm gonna spend more than $150-$200 on something for the RV, I want it to be for planned improvements (like my satellite dish & 3 Season Doors)... not for unplanned repairs.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:46 AM   #6

Illinois
Hddecker, did you get burned on the extended warranty? Curious on what happened. I'm split on my use of extended warranties. Sometimes they paid off for me, other times I've never used them. I don't get them on appliances, etc. Cars and RV, yes, as I keep them a long time. Thanks for the tip on the paperwork. My price was $4,700 for seven years. My sister bought the identical warranty and deductible for $3,200. I was told there is a huge price jump over 75 grand purchase price. Who knows? The price is also greatly reduced by using a $200 deductible.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:59 PM   #7

British Columbia
Rusty,

Yes, I got burned the first and only time I ever bought an extended warranty. It was on a car, so long ago that it still had a carburater. I can't even remember the exact sequence of events now, but it was something that involved the carb and on that basis they denied the coverage.
I go the "sorry sir but, the carburator is not covered." I told the service guy to shove his extended warranty and took the car to an independant mechanic. Funny but he fixed the car and it didn't take a new carb to do it.

The extended warranty thing has gotten so ridiculous it's funny. I bought a new set of heads for an electric razor, at the check out I get a do you want to buy the extended warranty. I really got a chuckle out of that one, the warranty was more than the price of the shaver heads.

If I didn't have the skills and experience that I have picked up over the years, I might be more of a believer in extended warranties, if they were written in plain simple english.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:31 PM   #8

Maryland
Rusty
Was that a ford ventura carburater 1981 ford pu lol believe ford made them 2 or 3 year.
bill_covert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:39 PM   #9

Ohio
I think on big ticket items such as these it's a catch 22. They do and will cover things that save us money, however they also deny and frustrate us more often then not. I just went through an experience with this whole thing.

short story is:

We bought our 3818 in August, it had previously been owned for 6 months and camped in 2 times by an owner that decided it wasn't for them. When we bought it we had 4 months of the original warranty left, but like many with the cost of the rig we choose to buy and extended warranty to cover "catastrophic" issues. We camped once in September and three times in Oct. then closed it for the winter. When we opened it for the spring March 1st my bedroom slide was acting strange, we took the rig in to the selling dealer to find out that we had the dreaded bedroom slide swollen floor issue! We were quoted 4600! and no chance of the ext. warranty covering it, we also appealed to Dutchmen and they denied due to us not being the original owner even though we owned it under the original warranty term! We ended up getting the slide fixed for about 3000 out of my pocket... My extended did cover my non working back up camera though!

Needless to say I was pissed, but what does one do? Water intrusion is clearly outlined as an item not covered, it's an obvious manufacturing defect! I don't have the next 4 months to fight with the dealer or run all over hell's half acre trying to find someone to fight the good fight with the Mfg. I have a lot a cumberland and not setting the rig on it essentially cost me many more thousands of dollars for the boating season then just fixing it.

Valuable lesson, do better research before spending 70k. Although like anything else you win some you lose some.

Just my .02

2013- F-350 White Platinum DRW.
nonsense is offline   Reply With Quote