Broken wheels - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Chassis and Running Gear
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2016, 02:27 PM   #1

Florida
Broken wheels

I have a 2014 Denali 330RLS. At 23 months and 12,000 miles towed ,the 2 front wheels broke a spoke in exactly the same place. No warranty from Dutchman , no big surprise here! And wheel manufacturer ( China) says its an impact issue and won't cover. I have never hit anything. I heard them break going down a smooth highway. Sounded like the hitch let loose. Anyone else seen this? I'm going to steel wheels with more side flex. The aluminum can't handle the side stress from backing.

GGreGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:48 PM   #2

British Columbia
It's a rare occurance to break a spoke on a wheel. In fifty plus years of hot rodding, motorcycle riding and just plain old factory wheels on cars and trucks, I haven't seen a wheel the failed without some sort of damage.

The wheels could have been damaged during the construction or delivery of the camper. The folks that haul the campers from the factory have one thing in mind and that is to get them to the destination as fast as they can.

For my money I wouldn't go back to steel wheels, the aluminum wheels work as a heat sink and draw a lot of heat away from both the tires and the brakes. Steel wheels don't dissipate
to the degree that aluminum wheels do.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:09 PM   #3

Texas
All excellent points hddecker!

One other thing about that initial ride our TT made from the factory to the dealer.........

That was a "shakedown" maiden voyage. It might not have been camped in, but it likely experienced a fair amount of adventure. In a way, they did us a service by giving the dealer (if they are a good one) an opportunity to provide the customer with a really well done PDI!

I know my recently purchased TT had a loooong PDI list that I had nothing to do with. I'm kind of grateful to somebody that I will never meet.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:34 PM   #4

Florida
Wheel

I also have over 50 years experience driving and fixing everything from a mini-bike to a semi on two Continents. I hold a valid CDL. I also have 3 1/2 years experience with Denali 5th wheels, ALL of it bad. After a year and a half with a new 262RLS, we traded it to the dealer rather than pay the massive out of warranty repair bill. After 2 years of huge issues with the 330RLS I am fed up. As to the wheel damage, until 2 months ago, when the dealer rotated them, these wheels were on the back. Each broke at the exact same casting depression on the rear of the wheel. Neither I or a hauler has damaged these wheels. I epect better from a $75,000 RV.
My question to the forum is: Has any one else had this issue?
GGreGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:11 PM   #5

Tennessee
My dad broke 4 aluminum wheels on his triple axle Yellowstone before he finally decided to go to steel. Evidently the aluminum wheels can't take the side to side turning stresses that steel wheels can. I think a lot of it had to do with where he used to park it at home. He had to back it into a hard 90 degree turn to get it where he wanted it. He don't park it there anymore but he has already changed to steel wheels so I can't say for sure if that was the problem.
2012 EZ-GO 2FIVE LSV 2014 Gem E4 LSV
3wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote